Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hermann Maier's latest sensation: first racer to win 4 times at season-opening GS

Poster: A snowHead
As reported by DB in Vienna earlier: Hermann Maier of Austria has won the season-opening World Cup GS race in Solden - which is his fourth victory in this race, becoming the first racer to achieve this.

Maier is reported by CNN to have gone wild with emotion - "hurling himself screaming to the ground in the Soelden finish area" - having discovered he'd beaten arch-rival Bode Miller of the US. Here is their report.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
good for him !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw it on TV... the great man was reduced to tears as he recovered his ski poles Very Happy
Incredibly Bode Miller was nearly 1 whole second up mid way through the second run and told ARD he was grateful to get 2nd place and not end up outside the top 5 snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hermann Maier's autobiography 'The Race of My Life' will be published in January 2006, so a few victories as we go into the winter could have him on a real roll. The book is destined to be fascinating reading.

It still seems a miracle of the age that his legs were reconstructed after that motorbike accident. Bode Miller must be wondering what kind of bionic human being - the nickname 'Hermannator' seems inadequate - he's up against.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder if Maier's emotions were partly because he realised that he is now the 2nd most successful male World Cup skier in history. If you count Maier's one victory in a combined event, he now has 51 victories, and has moved ahead of Alberto Tomba's 50. Stenmark's mark of 86 looks out of reach - we can only wonder what might have been without the motorbike accident.
Maier is still only the 4th most successful racer of either gender, and has the marks of two great female racers to aim for: Vreni Schneider (55) and Anne-Marie Moser-Proell (62).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reuters has an article by Mark Ledsom on how the weekend's racing has turned out, with some discussion of the up-and-coming young challengers on the mens' circuit. Click here. He quotes Bode Miller:
Quote:
"Half of the guys in the top 10 were putting in career bests today and when someone like Ted Ligety is finishing in the top 10 after starting his first run in the sixties, then you have to think that with a good start position it could be Ted and Hermann instead."
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I saw that Miller had increased his lead and was almost one second ahead of Maier, I thought Miller had it in the bag. Miller lost around a second on Maier in the last 25 secs Shocked If Miller had performed as well in the last section of the course he would of beat the rest of the field by over a second. Good to see Herman throwing his skis in the air and rolling about in the snow as if it was his first and not his 51st win. Ted Ligety (USA) put in a very good second run.
Looks like we have an exciting season ahead of us. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a terrific way to open the season. By any standard Maier is an incredible athlete, but when you take into account his accident it is just amazing what he has acheived. Lets hope it bodes well (no pun intended!) for the rest of the season.

As an aside, would it be possible to avoid putting race results into the titles of threads? When we do get TV coverage of races I for one try to avoid reading about results until I've seen it on TV.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
As an aside, would it be possible to avoid putting race results into the titles of threads? When we do get TV coverage of races I for one try to avoid reading about results until I've seen it on TV.

A situation which was discussed in this thread.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I'm happy that the

Moderators take a collective view on this, referencing any further opinions.
I shall abide by their Judgement.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, is it too difficult to simply title a thread "GS Results from Soelden" or something similar? Can't see why you would need a judgement from Moderators on this, it's just a case of common courtesy to your fellow snowHeads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought that the common concensus was to avoid putting results in thread titles....but it was ages ago when it was discussed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was it shown on the telly anywhere?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm reliably informed that it was covered by Austrian television.
From Hywel's posting above, there's evidence that it was available in Wales ... through some medium of telecommunications!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In think he still has the old Sky box which allows you to view German/Austrian TV
ski holidays
DAVID F wrote:
Was it shown on the telly anywhere?

German (ARD if my memory serves me right) & Austrian TV. Hoch Deutsch or Wienerish.
snow report
... which was one reason to leave Manchester.
ski holidays
Hywel, Which channel was it on? I have Europsports is it shown on there?
snow conditions
ginger winger,

For some reason Sölden wasn't shown on Eurosport but was shown on the German ARD channel.

Tunning details ....

11.49375GHz / H (Horizontal) 19.2°E

frei empfangbar = Free reception

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schwital/Links/fernseh.html
ski holidays
DB, i wonder if i can pick that up on Sky Plus ??

Instead of posting im running downstairs now to try it out !!
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
DB, i wonder if i can pick that up on Sky Plus ??

Instead of posting im running downstairs now to try it out !!

Don't think you can get it on SKY digital as it uses a different ASTRA (nearby?) satellite. You've got 2 choices. Get an old analogue SKY box and 1 metre dish, or for about £99, Maplins do a digital box and dish which should do the job - just make sure you're picking up the correct satellite Very Happy
latest report
This is really interesting. I'm way back in the dark ages when it comes to TV - only pick up terrestrial signals. Are you saying that you just buy this hardware and - without subscription - pick up continental stations that broadcast ski racing?

What does this Maplin set-up cost?
snow report
There might be an easier/cheaper solution.

I don't understand it all either, I've got an old analogue reciever but am planning to update it to digital.

Will try to check and see if ARD are planning to cover all the races. There is an ORF card (Austrian BBC channel equivalent) for the digital setups which basically gets Austrian TV onto digital, hopefully this will also work in the UK. Maybe the staff in the local TV/Hifi shop know, will ask them in the next couple of days.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
... which was one reason to leave Manchester.

Reception was fine in Manchester for me.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
This is really interesting. I'm way back in the dark ages when it comes to TV - only pick up terrestrial signals. Are you saying that you just buy this hardware and - without subscription - pick up continental stations that broadcast ski racing?

Correct.

Eurosport, ARD and ZDF show almost all the races between them.

You can also get CNN, Arte and some other German stations.
snow conditions
To get back to the point.......

Some of us still rely on steam TV, and are prepared to do a "Likely Lads" style self denial exercise (not checking out the results on the FIS website) in order to (eventually) capture the thrill of seeing the race as it unfolded.

(Let's face it, you need something to keep you going at 3 am, or whatever time C4 finally broadcast their coverage).

So, no spoilers please.
latest report
Wow, Yorkshire has TV coverage?
snow report
Aye lad. Didn't thee kna tha?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agh! So while my mum was compaining about no coverage on her analogue Eurosport, it was on on ARD a couple of channels away!

I notice Eurosport are advertising coverage from November (Think Lake Louise was first last year) so it might be worth setting up my old sky analog dish.
Do any German speakers know if the other mention in the calendar here:
short link
will be shown on ARD (And how come Solden's not on the list ?)

Jerry.
latest report
The TV schedules for them are here ARD and here ZDF.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy