Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wearing glasses underneath goggles??

Poster: A snowHead
For the past few years i have just wore prescription sunglasses.
however, when temps dropped to -20 last year, i realised a pair of goggles would probably keep my face a little warmer, and then i could wear a helmet etc.

my main question is to do with glasses fogging up.
if i buy a goggle that has really good ventilation in general that fits over my glasses, will that also prevent my glasses from fogging up?
or is something else at play here?

not sure its worth forking out so much money if im going to have to wipe my glasses every few runs.

thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sean_daly93, goggles and daily disposable contacts is the way to go, if you can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sean_daly93, Do a search on OTG or inserts. There have been loads of discussions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg, i wont bore you with the explanation but i have a thing with contacts that just means il probably never go near them.

and Claude B, cheers for the advice. il have a look. just trying to keep things cost effective and what not!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decathlon have a very good few pairs of OTGmgoggle
I got the interchangeable lenses, very good

Glasses don't usually seam up, as long as you wear a helmet otherwise when you put your goggles on your head they fill up with sweat and condensation and if you then put them back over your glasses then they do steam up

Not a problem if you wear a helmet
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sean_daly93, I have this problem, however my glasses clear as soon as I get moving with good quality goggles. I try not to remove the goggles on snowy days, even when I'm in the cable car or gondolas. When I take my helmet off on going into a hut, I take care not to lift the goggles on to any snow that may have caught on it.

There are also some anti-fogging agents you can use but to be honest, I find it just as easy to clean my glasses once a day in the morning to ensure they are clear to start with. I do pay quite a lot for my goggles and make sure they actually fit comfortably over both my helmet AND my specs! If you do pay out good money for good goggles (mine average around the 100 Euro mark, sometimes more sometimes less), check to see if treating them with anti-fogging chemicals or whatever will affect their clearing properties. I would ask about anti-fogging stuff either when you buy the goggles or at an opticians in resort. Asking in the UK may work or it may just result in a blank stare! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sean_daly93, I wear a helmet with visor, works a treat.

The down side is the abuse I get from people who think I look like a plonker. Their problem not mine. NehNeh Razz
snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Wood741 wrote:
The down side is the abuse I get from people who think I look like a plonker.

Come now, that's not quite the word we use wink

Though the full face brigade are drawing attention away from you guys Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear goggles over glasses.

I bought some expensive OTG ones with a tiny electric fan in them....apparently they never fog up.

Shame they are too uncomfortable to wear! I guess they just don't fit my face.

I wear an ordinary pair, with a few ammendments.
Used nail scissors to cut away the foam to open a channel for the arms of my glasses to pass along so they are not squashed by the goggles.
That also increased the ventilation.

Net result....no fogging.

I might look like a plonker....but I must ski like a flippin GOD, bevause no-one has ever said anything disparaging when I wear them!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp, snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oakly A frames over the top of my normal glasses with Giro G10. No problems, very comfy and good for hot and cold weather as they vent well but not drafty

Make sure glasses are spotless (use a cleaner spray) and then treat with ant fog.

Oakly lenses are NEVER touched with anything other than their case and certainly no chemicals

Works for me
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-eyewear-and-goggle-anti-fog-treatment/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thats exactly what I use on my optical glasses and cycling glasses. Very good it is too
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cousin uses Goggles with fans in the top to move air through and they are fine. As previous suggested modify the side foam to fit round the glasses arm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do this. Have a pair of Uvex OTG goggles. Keep your specs clean and buy some OTG's with plenty of ventilation. No matter what you do your glasses will fog up at some point. I occasionally have to dip my head down into the wind to get extra ventilation to clear any fogging.
snow report
I've had my share of trials and tribulations trying to see on the slopes...

Daily disposable contacts - OK as a beginner since everything moving slowly and lots of time to blink. All went a bit wrong as I got faster/visibility worse as you start staring, stop blinking and the lens dries out, curls up and scratches the inside of your eye lid. About as much fun as it sounds. My eyes are border-line on the dryness scale so may not be a typical case - many of my friends have skied in contacts for years without issue.

Goggles over standard glasses worked OK to start with, but I always developed fogging issues as the day went on. A lot of this seems to be down to the fact that standard glasses sit every close to your face. When you're moving the cold air cools them and they clear but as soon as you stop after a hard run the heat from your face warms hits them and they fog.

Last year I moved to Adidas ID2 goggles with prescription inserts and haven't looked back. The insert sits much further away from your face than a pair of glasses so I've only had fogging issues when stood for a long time, either waiting for a tail-ender or in a gondola. Other than the price ~£200 for goggles + inserts ground to your prescription the only down-side has been the fact you have to carry your normal glasses with you for lunch/pit-stops.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-01-13 15:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mjit, welcome to SHs. snowHead I agree that inserts are very good - but not with your dismissal of contact lenses. I've only recently started wearing lenses, having always been convinced I would never be able to get them in and out. I'm still not very good at it, but once they're in, they've been absolutely fine; I'm completely unaware of them (monthly disposables) and I can still see to read the lunch menu once I've taken the goggles off. My goggles and inserts cost a great deal less than £200 too - usefully less than half that,in fact.
snow report
Fair comment - post updated to make it clear that was just me Smile
snow report
Last year I finally conseded that I needed to wear my glasses on the moutain, as I had been a girl and never fancied sticking lenses in my eyes.
We go to Austria late January every year and goggles are essential. Ended up buying a pair of Scott No Fog OTG goggles in Soll at a ski shop for 80 Euros and they were great. They did the job fine and were as good as my old trusted goggles I had been using for 5 years.

Manned up this year and I am wearing daily throw away contacts. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy