Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return to the Tyrol after 20 yrs, this time with a family

Poster: A snowHead
It's is a first time post, so really just a bit about me and my family and our forthcoming trip, no nuggets of ski wisdom to be found here Laughing

I skied in the Tyrol a great deal when I was at high school ( a few years ago now!), and my wife has skied in France and Vermont up until 6 or 7 years ago.

Since 2006 we have lived in Dubai and used the indoor slope a few times, our 3 children (5, 3 and 3) have had several lessons at Ski Dubai and it went very well..

The children took to skis so well we have booked 2 weeks in SkiWelt from 20th Jan to 3rd Feb.

We are now fully packed and ready to depart on Thursday 17th Jan. Flying from the UAE to UK, having 36hrs in the UK and then jumping in a big jolly minibus with my inlaws and driving (via euro tunnel) to our half board accommodation.

The children are booked into a ski school in Ellmau for 5 days (4hrs per day) of top up tuition, and I hope they will be joining us on the main slopes in the second week. We are all keen to experience the night skiing, tobogganing, sleigh rides etc that SkiWelt can offer.

My techie nature means we are already signed up to skiline.cc so we can track our ski activity as soon as we enter the ski pass serial numbers into their online system.

Online shopping has been a saviour!Not only in terms of cost, but also the ability to have bulky ski gear delivered to the UK has allowed us to minimise the luggage being carried for the flights.

Snow chains, diesel anti freeze, power inverter to charge ipads, laptops etc during the journey
etc have all been purchased online. We also have no need to stop to buy the Austrian Vignette,you can even order those online.

Travel insurance was purchased through worldnomads.com as recommended by lonely planet.

European breakdown cover purchased through QDOS, fantastic online service, with real people on the end of the phone. I had to make a last minute change to the policy due to the vehicle registration changing of the hire vehicle, and this was dealt with painlessly.

Oh, and in reference to an earlier topic, my wife loads the spare bed with her and the children's gear, I organise my own clothing, paperwork and the electronics. It is then my task to try to make it all fit in a manageable number of suitcases and within the weight limits of the airline.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i will be in ellmau at the same time! i too am a techie and would love to know about the skiline thingymabobby
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Matthew.lewis2, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead

Have a fantastic holiday - sounds like fab fun. If you haven't done a long road trip with the children before, you'll find various topics via the search facility, but much of it can be encapsulated under the headings of entertainment, avoidance of throwing up, and useful things to have easily to hand in the case the latter isn't Laughing Enjoy!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Matthew.lewis2, Now that's a first post. Perhaps you can stick around to advise all the "I'd like to go skiing but it's too difficult to organise so I'm hoping you'll do it for me" types wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polo99 wrote:
i will be in ellmau at the same time! i too am a techie and would love to know about the skiline thingymabobby

Just go to www.skiline.cc once you have your lift ticket.

Plug in the number from the ticket, and it will show you a list of all the lifts you have used within the resorts it covers, with times, and estimates of total distance and vertical.

It isn't always obvious if you haven't used it before which is the right number from the lift pass, so if you are going to do it later, after handing back the card, make a note of all the numbers you can find on it.

It seems to cover most of the resorts in the Tirol & Salzburgerland (and probably others), and certainly includes the whole of the Skiwelt.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Matthew.lewis2, but does your minibus have winter tyres?

Quote:
Winter tyres are mandatory in Austria. The law states that passenger cars with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 tonnes may be operated only between 1 November and 15 April in winter conditions such as snow, slush or ice if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels. All-season tyres are also considered winter tyres if they have the "M + S" mark.

As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle could be impounded. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with winter tyres.

Many non-Austrians ignore the law or are ignorant of it so you won't be alone if you're not equipped. Just thought I'd mention it though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Matthew.lewis2 wrote:
We also have no need to stop to buy the Austrian Vignette,you can even order those online.

You don't actually need a vignette if you're only planning to drive to Ellmau. The short section of autobahn past Kufstein to the exit Kufstein Süd (where you turn off for Ellmau) can be used without a vignette.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great skiing in Ellmau & good access to the Skiwelt. I'm sure you'll all have a great time - enjoy
Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, This morning all the cars without winter tyres were having problems on the A8 and A10 and I saw the police checking some of the vehicles that were having problems on the upslopes. Causing an obstruction to the traffic flow is an offence and can be expensive. I would not have felt very secure even at the humble 60km/h the autobahns were crawling along at, if I had summer tyres on.

Good all-weather or better still winter tyres just make sense if you are going to the mountains to enjoy the snow! rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99 wrote:
To my surprise my first post did impart a little ski information. I'm glad Alex Heney managed to reply to your skiline question before I came back online.

We are staying at a hotel about 20-25 mins away just over the German border. Ellmau will be our start point for the first week, simply due to ski school location. I am sure that we will try out the other ski welt locations during our time there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anniepen wrote:
Matthew.lewis2, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead

Have a fantastic holiday - sounds like fab fun. If you haven't done a long road trip with the children before, you'll find various topics via the search facility, but much of it can be encapsulated under the headings of entertainment, avoidance of throwing up, and useful things to have easily to hand in the case the latter isn't Laughing Enjoy!

Thanks for the warm welcome. The children are accustomed as expats to regular 7hr flights back to the UK, and slightly longer flights taken to Asia.

They are frequently couped up in the Landcruiser for 3-4 hours when we go dune bashing out in the desert. Stoping for regular comfort breaks to disect the journey and with more room to I've around in the minibus as well as a plethora of iPods,iPads and other items of interest as suggested on Snowheads I'm sure they will handle it perfectly. We are on a midnight(ish) tunnel crossing so for a good portion of the journey they should be asleep.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Matthew.lewis2, but does your minibus have winter tyres?

Quote:
Winter tyres are mandatory in Austria. The law states that passenger cars with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 tonnes may be operated only between 1 November and 15 April in winter conditions such as snow, slush or ice if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels. All-season tyres are also considered winter tyres if they have the "M + S" mark.

As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle could be impounded. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with winter tyres.

Many non-Austrians ignore the law or are ignorant of it so you won't be alone if you're not equipped. Just thought I'd mention it though.

I have already investigated this, the minibus comes with all season tyres (m+s) and I also have a set of chains if it gets tricky!

I think I'm a bad omen for the UK in winter, every time I come home in Dec or Jan temperatures plummet and snow falls.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri wrote:
Matthew.lewis2 wrote:
We also have no need to stop to buy the Austrian Vignette,you can even order those online.

You don't actually need a vignette if you're only planning to drive to Ellmau. The short section of autobahn past Kufstein to the exit Kufstein Süd (where you turn off for Ellmau) can be used without a vignette.

Oh, thanks for the advice. I'm glad they weren't expensive Embarassed The machismo in me says " they are for when we want to see other parts of the country", but we all know the truth, in my pursuit for perfect preparation I bought them unnecessarily.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Bode Swiller, This morning all the cars without winter tyres were having problems on the A8 and A10 and I saw the police checking some of the vehicles that were having problems on the upslopes. Causing an obstruction to the traffic flow is an offence and can be expensive. I would not have felt very secure even at the humble 60km/h the autobahns were crawling along at, if I had summer tyres on.

Good all-weather or better still winter tyres just make sense if you are going to the mountains to enjoy the snow! rolling eyes

Does anyone have any travel reports for the A93 out of Germany, on to the A12 in Austria and off on the B173 to Soll? How well maintained is this route?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Matthew.lewis2, Now that's a first post. Perhaps you can stick around to advise all the "I'd like to go skiing but it's too difficult to organise so I'm hoping you'll do it for me" types wink

I think I would have had more concerns booking all the components had it not been for prior ski holiday experience. I can empathise with how daunting it might appear to organise a holiday specifically to take up a new sport for a complete newbie.

I think you have picked up on the fact that my wife and I are highly organised types. A clear division of duties and excel spreadsheets so people and things are in the right places at the right times. We find it a very clear medium to communicate to family overseas so they know what they need to do and when to facilitate our arrival back in the UK as well as a painless departure from the UK across to the ski resort. The planning and spreadsheets are left firmly in the suitcase during the holiday, being just the tool that ensures we can get to the resort to have a trouble free, enjoyable and relaxing break.

For people who don't travel frequently I'm sure it can feel like a daunting task to organise a ski trip. But, having "upped sticks" and emigrated changes you as a person (or highlights the difference between the adventurous "try anything and don't get phased types" and those who have defined comfort zones. Now, for us, organising a few flights, a minibus, booking a hotel, buying insurances online, emailing to book ski school for the kids etc. really is easy, and is swiftly achieved through online research and a few nights at the computer/ iPad.
snow conditions
Matthew.lewis2 wrote:
Does anyone have any travel reports for the A93 out of Germany, on to the A12 in Austria and off on the B173 to Soll? How well maintained is this route?

You can find information about traffic on the German autobahns here. It's in German but there is also a map of traffic flow which might be useful.

Traffic on the A12 will be practically the same as on the A93. The B173 will be well cleared but has two steeper inclines which could be a problem if anyone gets stuck on them. Shouldn't normally be any trouble.
snow report
Well, we are all back safe and sound. I had hoped to post earlier but a hectic week at work soon saw pay to that idea!

I have posted a review of our accommodation 'Sporthotel Wilder Kaiser'. The hotel was a 25 minute drive away from Ellmau. The review can be found here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g641944-d582789-r152157532-Sporthotel_Wilder_Kaiser-Oberaudorf_Bavaria.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

I have also posted a review of our chosen ski school and ski hire shop here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97950

The skiline.cc application was very interesting, I managed to cover 90km (approximate skied distance) in 7 days of not very hard skiing, which included 13.7km of elevation change and 47 lifts journeys.

We had such a good time that we are already planning the 2014 ski trip. Because we now envisage that we will be skiing annually now, it is likely that I will export my 4wd Quattro Audi from Dubai back to the UK (I was always adamant that it was a forever car) to use whenever we return back to the UK on holiday as well as for ski trips to Europe. Quotes for this entire export and SVA procedure have already been obtained and it is viable. This means I will have a 4wd left had drive car for my ski trips...perfect.

A few things that I learnt whilst on the ski trip:

1. Fully empty your vehicles screen wash bottle before you depart (especially if you have hired the vehicle and don't know the antifreeze protection the screen wash offers) and refill with screen wash good for say -15c or below.

2. Purchasing separate diesel antifreeze (for the skiwelt area at least) was unnecessary. We did experience some very cold nights, but most fuel stations have a diesel pump dispensing a premium diesel product (such as Shell Vpower diesel) that has winter protection to about -30c.

3. Don't forget that you have left half half your Euro spending money in a safe place in the suitcase and then withdraw more from the ATM. rolling eyes

4. Gulaschsuppe and Weisbeer is a lovely ski slope lunch.

5. Germ Knodel a light yeast dumpling filled with plum jam and vanilla sauce is heavenly.

6. Wurst Mit Pommes ( sausage and Chips) comes in many different shapes, but the portion sizes are always generous

7. kaiserschmarrn, a thick buttery pancake, with a slight hint of waffle taste, served with fruit and apple sauce is filling!!!
ski holidays
Matthew.lewis2, glad you had a good trip.

Also from points 4, 5, 6 & 7 you seem to have the same "problem" as me with skiing in Austria. Although you missed out grostl (if you didn't try it this year put it to to the top of the list for next year) Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy