Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dog on a chairlift!

Poster: A snowHead
I am not mad, but.......

I've just seen an Alsation (a huge great hairy one) sat in the middle seat of the three man Plan des Violettes chairlift, above Villaroger (Les Arcs).

There I was, on my own, on my way up this lift. In the heavy snow we have today I was all huddled up and the lift had just got going after a brief stop. When there, coming down towards me, from the cloudy background, sat upright in the middle seat (With the bar down), was this huge hairy Alsation. It didn't bat an eyelid, just sat there looking at the way ahead.

Behind me, the kids on the chair, a few back, had a good giggle.

But I was too slow (Godsmacked) to get me camera out. So I need someone to corroborate this before the men in white coats come..........
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pretty common for recuse/patrol dugs to ride the chair with their mum/dad and probably even on their own if their used to it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Poodle Hunter, was he alone? Some of the lifties here occasionally put things on the lifts going down - not living things, just funny things. Was he a stuffed Alsation?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Was he a stuffed Alsation?

Yeah he'd just eaten 3 TO reps doing unofficial ski guiding.......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I saw a dog on the chair lift in Les Arcs last year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw an Alsatian riding a chairlift by himself, in Courchevel (on the Biollay chair). He had a red bandana around his neck and was sort of leaning against the side of the chair. Very cool.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have taken our dog on a chair in the summer... I'm sure we will at the end of the season too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely real and by him self, no one in front and no one behind. The lifts are very quiet as there is heavy snowfall and poor visibility today.

When I got to the top the lofty was putting some other stuff on the lift to go down. I might head out that way again tomorrow to see if this dog is there again. Hopefully.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yep seen this also in Ste Foy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen a dog on a chairlift with his master - one of the pisteurs here had a dog which ran everywhere after him and rode the lifts. But a dog on his own is a bit surprising!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Please please please, its a German Shepherd, NOT an Alsatian, although the breed origionated from the Alsace mountain region, where they were used to herd sheep and protect them from wolves.

Anorak on and leaves
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is a German Shepherd, they only changed the name to an Alsatian because of the war.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Poodle Hunter, don't you need to change your user name now to Alsatian Hunter? Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And they aint even got the bar down!
latest report
ansta1,

Glad you know the breed as well, currently on our 3rd GSD, although my current loony would no doubt jump off a chair lift in a suicidal attempt to chase anything with four legs.

Plus he would try and hump anything below 4 foot on ski's rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
Timbobaggins, FIL had just about the biggest GSD I have ever seen, love the breed (unless they are the overbred type with the lower rear quarters) We don't have the space for one otherwise we would.
latest report
Go to the EoSB; you'll see loads of dogs on chairlifts

wink
snow report
I often take a couple of monkeys on a chair lift.
ski holidays
ansta1,

Got our current from Nyrvanna GSD's, had all 3 from them, Here is a video from their training school

http://www.k9ulf.com/index.php?vars=gallery/video#g

and below is our loon as a pup, he is a sable, barrel chested and minimal slope

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dog.html?id=517049
latest report
9 mountain rescue dogs and not a brandy barrel among them . . . useless lumps of fur rolling eyes
snow report
Timbobaggins, He is gorgeous Smile
latest report
Patrol mutt on cairngorm runs the length of the drag tows alongside his daddy. (Same dog who sometimes refuses to perform when they do demonstrations!)
snow report
Timbobaggins, this one is incredible (back in the early 90s I used to do schutzhund training, so can appreciate a focused dog)
ski holidays
Zero-G,

Yup Ulf trains dogs brilliantly, he has helped me train our loon, although not to Schz 1,2 or 3 by any stretch, his partner Margeret does the breeding and Ulf does the training.

He uses play as the drive, he is superb to see in action.
latest report
also look at his video called multi control, he has 3 dogs working at same time. All for a rubber toy ring Cool
snow report
A guy at Glenshee fairly often has his collie up with him Smile
snow conditions
I can't resist a GSD thread and a chance to re-post these of my pair of rescues!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lifty at Nordkette regularly rides with his husky, that thing loves nothing more than hanging outside the hut on a snow day.
snow report
Megamum,

nice Smile
ski holidays
Mine go mad in the snow if we get it here - they love chasing snowballs! I don't know how they would fair on a lift though!
ski holidays
Not GSDs, but my two lurchers are coming to Tignes with me tomorrow. Do you think, if I get them lift passes, I can trust them to just ride the lift system and come home by dusk Shocked

At 1 year:

p://farm8.staticflickr.com/7135/7643670348_4562b850c9.jpg[/img][/url]

Both by cjcspier, on Flickr31@N02/7643670348/]Both[/url] by cjcspier, on Flickr

At 14 months:

IMG_0664 by cjcspier, on Flickr

They're only a bit bigger now at 18 months NehNeh
latest report
Its nothing new here, Winteregg chairlift used to be our favourite in Mürren for long walks with our dogs
ski holidays
Do the dogs know when to jump at the end of the ride, or do they stop the lifts to enable them to jump down?
ski holidays
What with all the GSD chat...

Was skiing at Patscherkoffel last week, and saw a dude skinning up with two gorgeous white GSDs. They had no problem at all with skiers, myself and lots of others went passed and the just calmly trotted along. However, when a boarder came past, they went absolutely APESHIT, chased the poor guy for at least two hundred metres, barking loudly - bloody hilarious. Wonder if they were trained to do that (seems very unlikely), or just don't like the noise boards make?
latest report
Saw a GSD riding the lifts in Bansko a few years ago. It was so eager that it often jumped the que and got on the chair ahead of it's owner.
snow conditions
Having seen avalanche dogs arrive on chairs then dig someone from a slide like JCBs compared with the shovellers; I will always be in awe of the hairy muts by the rescue huts.
snow report
Quote:

I often take a couple of monkeys on a chair lift.

That would be with the other dealers in Courchevel? (monkey= £500 just for those more genteel folk)
snow report

Photo I took of a dog (think she was called Leka or something) riding the chairlift with me when I was out with the Whistler ski patrol back in January 2005 when I was working out there..... I wrote an article that was published on (now defunct I think) Ultimate-Ski.com, all about my experiences with the ski patrol.... from blasting to injuries - all in a days work for them.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
What with all the GSD chat...

Was skiing at Patscherkoffel last week, and saw a dude skinning up with two gorgeous white GSDs. They had no problem at all with skiers, myself and lots of others went passed and the just calmly trotted along. However, when a boarder came past, they went absolutely APESHIT, chased the poor guy for at least two hundred metres, barking loudly - bloody hilarious. Wonder if they were trained to do that (seems very unlikely), or just don't like the noise boards make?

Nope trained,

What i do with my GSD is show him my ski's and every time he sees them i give him a chocolate biscuit,

I then show him a snowboard and every time he sees a snowboard i hit him with a baseball bat, he soon learned to hate snowboards.

ONLY JOKING Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy