Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folie Douce in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know where exactly it is, I cant find out apart from it is at the bottom of a steep red run- any info would be great! Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a few pistes to the right of the Ronnie!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a good little annotated map here that should help: http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2012Summer/NEW2013/

(you have to scroll down quite a bit to get to the meribel section)

Bit above the Ronnie - you should be able to ski down to the Ronnie when the FD closes each day - carnage!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great map, thank you. Do you know if you can get the bubble (we have a beginner with us) or is it a ski down job?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Think this is the one, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, great pic!

rachelski, you can see the bubble in the background - short walk back to it to get it down to Chaudannes at the end - just watch the closing times.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rachelski, Take the new Saulire Express, get out at mid station, and its about 100 meters directly downhill. The lift almost goes over the Folie Douce
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski, The guy on the table in the foreground ..... his ski boots ... new trend?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's really nothing about it online (or not that a swift Google can find anyway).

Is it any good?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Patch wrote:
livetoski, The guy on the table in the foreground ..... his ski boots ... new trend?

Salomon SPKs or some variant thereof. Been around at least three years. Nobody else seems to have taken it up!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fixx, yep cool pic was just the other day, my lad and girl friend in the photo, I am still trying to work out the three pairs of legs/pants on the table on the right Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Patch wrote:
rachelski, Take the new Saulire Express, get out at mid station, and its about 100 meters directly downhill. The lift almost goes over the Folie Douce

Looks like it's a bit of a climb, from what I saw last season it's a fair way away ... rather them than me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski wrote:
fixx, yep cool pic was just the other day, my lad and girl friend in the photo, I am still trying to work out the three pairs of legs/pants on the table on the right Shocked

Lol, hadn't noticed that, was distracted by the black/white boots! Odd table overall Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski wrote:

there are only two, Brandon has just gone really colour radical and now has half and half (green/yellow) ski pants....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well either that or for legal reasons he has had to photoshop out the picture of the person he is dancing with..... which is just as likely as my previous suggestion.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, I think we will ski down and they can walk back up to the bubble! Great picture - cant wait to see it for real in 3 weeks time Very Happy
latest report
rachelski wrote:
Thanks everyone, I think we will ski down and they can walk back up to the bubble! Great picture - cant wait to see it for real in 3 weeks time Very Happy

Ah, you're a week ahead of me - can't wait to get to Merry-bel!
ski holidays
Hey....just a quick one. About to book a trip to Val Thorens as iv heard the après and nightlife is better than meribel, and people keep mentioning La Folie Douce! Is the one in Meribel as good? And the après/nightlife in general? We can surprisingly get a better deal in meribel Smile
ski holidays
Ski_Friends wrote:
Hey....just a quick one. About to book a trip to Val Thorens as iv heard the après and nightlife is better than meribel, and people keep mentioning La Folie Douce! Is the one in Meribel as good? And the après/nightlife in general? We can surprisingly get a better deal in meribel Smile
Haven't been to the new FD in Meribel yet but for my money it's the other way round - Meribel is better than VT for both apres and nightlife. More bars, more live music. I'm sure others will disagree. I should qualify that by saying I usually only go to VT late season which may make a difference. You don't say when you're going - if it's spring the snow will be much better in VT.
snow report
The FD in VT seems more fun to me than the Meribel one. bit quirkier and more eclectic with nationalities and ages imo.... but only been a few times Toofy Grin

in general Meribel is much better than VT for nightlife ..
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
The FD in VT seems more fun to me than the Meribel one. bit quirkier and more eclectic with nationalities and ages imo.... but only been a few times Toofy Grin

isn't there a video somewhere Laughing
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

isn't there a video somewhere Laughing

Here's a short clip filmed on my phone just after Christmas this year at the FD in VT. Worth dropping by just before closing time and then skiing down to the bottom of the steep bit of the Plein Sud and waiting to watch the carnage at chucking out time.

Here...Uggstep?
http://youtube.com/v/HGT8W-x5CEk&list=UU0gJGVtC2qCalPWP1UVEVog&index=2

Sorry about the audio levels.
ski holidays
We've been discussing the relative distances to Meribel, Vt and La Daille from the Folie Douces and chucking out times, when do the pisteurs call time and do people ski back from La Daille or Meribel or do they download?
snow conditions
Anyone know if it's possible to ski off piste from Folie in VT to Les menuires, would save having to walk up from the end of the cat track?
snow report
stevew wrote:
We've been discussing the relative distances to Meribel, Vt and La Daille from the Folie Douces and chucking out times, when do the pisteurs call time and do people ski back from La Daille or Meribel or do they download?

Just after Christmas this year in VT, chucking out time was about 4.30 or 4.45 They dont actually "chuch out" but the bar closes, the music stops and as the sun sets it gets cold.

It is not that far to ski from FD in VT down to the resort. For average skiers probably 5 min when sober........ But for others at chucking out time, considerably longer.

Not sure about FD in Meribel. Will report back in a week and a bit Smile
ski holidays
Tomo54 wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to ski off piste from Folie in VT to Les menuires, would save having to walk up from the end of the cat track?
Why would you need to? The FD stops serving around the same time the last lifts close so why not just get on Bouquetin and ski back to LM?
latest report
Some of my friends only have a LM pass so they can't!
snow report
Tomo54, they could just ski down the Boulevard Cumin back into LM Doron closes at 16:50
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You wouldn't wish the Boulevard Cumin on anyone though. Especially after a long day and a few beers.
latest report
bobalexander1983 wrote:
You wouldn't wish the Boulevard Cumin on anyone though. Especially after a long day and a few beers.

As long as u keep your speed up and aren't on a board you're ok
snow report
Argh I'm confused now! We're going on the 9th March for the week. Decisions decisions! We can get a catered chalet in Meribel for similar price to self catering in VT....but not sure 5 lads would be appreciated in a catered chalet Smile ha.

Oh and does anyone know if you can purchase the 3V lift pass in VT with the tribu discount? Can't seem to find it anywhere clearly online. Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
Patch wrote:

Looks like it's a bit of a climb, from what I saw last season it's a fair way away ... rather them than me!

I looked when I was there last week and its a fair way down with no obvious footpath down
latest report
thanks Stevew- so the only way is skiing down creux. some maps show a blue run crossing over but that might be wishful thinking. if it doesnt exist, we will be at the ronnie instead!
ski holidays
No Creux is in Courchevel ! .... the blue piste down is Geia to Meribel RondPoint and Chaudanne ..... there are a few other alternative routes via Altiport .... all pretty easy.
snow conditions
http://www.maddogski.com/news-and-blogs/review-folie-douce-meribel
latest report
fixx wrote:
http://www.maddogski.com/news-and-blogs/review-folie-douce-meribel

It just reads like a review of the Folie Douce generally (expensive and pretentious), rather than the Meribel one. I still want to know how it rates alongside the Val one.

Kely Starlight is what makes the original one, and I can't believe the other two are as good. But maybe they are good in a different way.

Can't wait to get back there in March (hopefully).
snow report
Quote:

No Creux is in Courchevel

oops- i meant cret!
ski holidays
Quote:

It just reads like a review of the Folie Douce generally (expensive and pretentious), rather than the Meribel one. I still want to know how it rates alongside the Val one.

Agreed – but couldn’t find any other reviews.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll be there in a couple of weeks - just for the benefit of this thread, I shall make sure to stop by on multiple occasions to do an in-depth study, and duly report back Wink

What I remember of it that is…!
snow conditions
Quote:

We can get a catered chalet in Meribel for similar price to self catering in VT....but not sure 5 lads would be appreciated in a catered chalet

sounds a no-brainer, in terms of choice in terms of VFM - if the lads are house-trained and not too boorish. wink Someone who knows the 3V better than I could advise on which location would be least crowded (Paris school holidays). I suspect I'd go for VT from that point of view, but that could be all wrong.
latest report
Quote:

isn't there a video somewhere

just spotted this one

http://youtube.com/v/NEUYJgWwk7Q
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy