Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iphone tracking Apps?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Quick question here. Haven't got the cash to fork up for some fancy GPS tracking device but would love to keep track of my speed distance etc.

I've downloaded a couple of apps (Iphone4)

1) Alpine Replay
2) Ski Tracks

Does anyone have any experience using these?

My main worry is that the Iphone battery probably won't last all day whilst running these?

Thanks,
Maybe run into some of you in 2 Alpes this week.

Sn0wSt0rm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sn0wst0rm, I used Ski Tracks on last season's trips, and my iPhone (3GS) battery lasted all day, no problem. The data seemed fairly accurate as well.

Lapcat
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used ski tracks on an iphone 4, it drained the battery by 2pm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Keep the phone inside your coat close to your body heat, batteries die quickly in the cold so external pockets or back-packs are a nightmare.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Make sure you phone is fully charged before you go out, and keep it in somewhere warm like your internal chest pocket. My iPhone 4 runs Ski Tracks fine without draining the battery that much - think it used about 60% but it will be more if it's colder.

Also, there's a setting to disable the app when the battery level gets to a set point e.g. 20% to enable you to still use your phone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Presumably it only needs the location settings to be turned on?

i.e. I can turn off 3G / Wifi to save on battery?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sn0wst0rm, we used ski tracks, the battery still lasted all day, it doesn't need wifi or data roaming to be switched on, it's a bit of fun, I got my fastest speed on the bus back to the chalet, I forgot to pause it Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sn0wst0rm, definitely. It will also save you ££££ in data roaming charges from all your other apps pinging away.

feefee, you're not the only one. I was rather surprised to clock up 60MPH on a day in the Hidden Valley/Lagazuoi, especially as we were taking it easy... until I realised that was in the taxi on the way over!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homers double, I used ski tracks on my iphone 4 and it didn't drain the battery at all. Lasted all day every day of skiing. However this is only true if you leave it alone and don;t keepo getting it out for photos, GPSing, phone calls, texts etc etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski tracks- excellent

turn off wifi and blue tooth- lasted all day no probe great maps and data!

ed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for ski tracks on a iphone 4s. I have been using tracking apps for many years on a variety of 'smart' phones (Nokia had a sports tracker years ago). Battery lasted all day, including taking photos en-route.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Alpine replay, works fine, no problems with battery.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski tracks works fine all day on iPhone 5 as well but I'd echo Scarlet's advice and ensure its fully charged before each days skiing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another +1 for ski tracks. No issue with battery despite using pics etc too and as others said would definitely turn of cellular data!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Tracks gets my vote. Switch off roaming to save problem bills. I paused it at lunch break and keep it in an inside pocket. Great App for snowHead
ski holidays
So after a week's worth of testing here's my verdict.

Alpine Replay works fine - however I find it a little annoying that you can't view your stats as you go. You have to upload the runs at the end of the day to get all your stats together whilst SkiTracks provides them all for you right away.

Generally settled on using SkiTracks for most of the week. Battery life wasn't an issue at all (iphone 4 at least 2 years old). Made sure to charge up the night before and closed all other apps / switched off Wifi etc and still the battery rarely dipped below 50% after using it for an entire day. Would recommend keeping in an inside pocket though as iphone died once or twice exposed to the air (although it was -20).

Had an issue on 2 of the days where the stats were totally incorrect - it recorded less than half of what was actually done that day - They were however 2 exceptionally cloudy days so I have put this down to a lack of GPS signal. Not a problem on any of the other days.

The distances skiied (vertical and horizontal) seem to be about what I would have expected. As are the no. of runs and slope angle (although according to the instructions the app records your position every 10m - so not sure this takes into account short steep sections on some of the slopes)

As for speed I have no clue if it is correct or not. Average speed is pretty unreliable to use as a stat as if you're skiing in a group it doesn't take into account waiting times.

As for max speed does anyone have any insight into the sorts of speeds you get up to whilst skiing??
Ski Tracks has me down multiple times for 57mph, the odd 63mph, as well as a one off 71mph - Happy to accept these for bragging rights but seems a bit quick to me???
latest report
Ski tracks is awesome.

Top speed stay has created some great banter...and fun skiing; if not a little dangerous too
snow report
We use iPhones here the Uni of bath for a wide range of applications (that's uses, not apps wink )

The Security office asked us to look into keeping track of their officers and when we asked our Apple technical contacts they said the iPhone5 and 4S COULD be as accurate as plus or minus 1m, or as out as much as plus or minus 25 metres, depending on the surrounding terrain, height, topography, weather conditions, trees, lack of trees.

We didn't ask them about snow, but I guess the real answer is stuff like Snow Tracks could be used comparatively say between friends skiing the same runs on the same day around the same times, but you wouldn't want to use it as scientific or legal data
latest report
Dowhhill Smart is a good app for iphone. You can see results with small delay (e.g. one ride or so). Replay over the map and have offline maps with lifts and trails. Here is the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downhill-wiz/id1287302065?ls=1&mt=8&ct=snwhds&at=1000ljW

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 4-01-18 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Speaking of vertical accuracy - phones with barometric altimeter are way more accurate on relative altitude change than phones with just a GPS for altitude. I believe barometrical sensor is in all starting from iphone 5 or 5s. Problem with barometrical sensor is - it still relies on GPS for initial altitude (e.g. it can be accurate on delta, but cannot be accurate on absolute altitude value since pressure is always changing...).
latest report
Just for the sake of transparency... are you a representative of Downhill Smart or did you join the forum and dig up a 5 year old post just out of genuine interest?

The information about the barometric sensor in iPhones is interesting though. I have a 6S and had no idea it had such a thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy