Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Salopettes/Gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey All

I am off to La plagne in a week on Saturday and i have been getting some new gear in prep for winter conditions, ( my old stuff is all about 4/5 years old and deff more orientated towards spring skiing.) At the moment its shaping up to be a VERY cold when I go out, looking at -20 odd.

I bought a New Animal Ski jacket with 10kmm and kgs rating and it pretty dam warm, that + a base and mid layer should server me fine for my top half. I am also investing in a neoprene mask with neck warmer and a silk bali to go under my Helmet. So all good torso upwards, well almost NehNeh.

The two things I am worried about is my hands and my legs. I have an old and cheap pair of salopettes that I bought at the resort in Valloire 4 years ago. Now I have NO idea about the waterproof/windproof rating of these but they only cost me about 30 euro in 2009. All I know is that one day I was out in them it was around -15 and plus a pair of decent thermal legs I was ok. I was just wondering, considering the winter conditions, with it most likely to be very cold most days, should I grab a new pair, and if so what would be the standard for winter salopettes? Second is my hands, I bought a cheap pair of these ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONeill-Escape-Gloves-Mens/dp/B004XUNJ2Ytag=amz07b-21?tag=amz07b-21 )a while back just because I needed a new pair of gloves in general. I also have silk inners, do you think they will suffice? Basically I have never skied in very cold conditions apart from that one day. So hit me with your recommendations people!

Thanks

Xander
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's what I usually wear at -20c, might be worth reproofing your trousers before your trip if your not sure about them though, you don't want to sit a snow covered chair and then find out they need it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't worry about rain at -30, but proofing them might help keep any nasty drafts out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher wrote:
proofing them might help keep any nasty drafts out.

Unless you're proofing with a hefty dose of oil or wax, it won't keep drafts out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i just ended up picking up a cheapish pair of salopettes just some O'Neil ones down from 100 dd to 50), but they are head a shoulders above what i had before. Fortunately my brother bought me a pair of ski gloves for Christmas as well, haha, got 2 pairs now. They aren't particularly expensive, but they are seriously warm Vs my other pair, They are almost mitten like, but with the index finger free, unfortunately no draw string, but all the same i think i will be fine Wink. Think i need a few more thermal layers though, 1 top and bottoms wont last me the whole week Wink.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy