Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Laminated Insurance policy number and phonenumber

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone ever found the need for having insurance details on the piste?

As I understand it, the cost of getting off a mountain and into hospital etc is covered by wintor sports cover insurance. People also buy carte niege to garauntee passage off a mountain in an emergeny.

If you don't have insurance details with you, but have them printed out in the hotel/chalet, then you may have to pay a large sum of money for getting off the mountain and then claim it back.

But, if the emergency phone number and policy number are available, shouldn't we able to have the insurance company confirm they can cover it and you'll get to hospital?

On this basis, I was planning on having my family all have these details on a laminate card. Does this sound like a good plan?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thankfully never been carted off the piste (or off the off-piste) myself. Of those that I know of (in one in France on a piste, one in Switzerland involving a helicopter and a couple in Austria that were both on-piste) no one was asked for anything until they "checked in" at the hospital. It would seem callous to say the least to request particulars while you are lying injured on a mountain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Credit card at hospital, is all that is required. Then you contact your insurer. Keep all receipts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mal0r, er .. no.

Whether or not you are asked to pay in advance depends on whether piste rescue will deal directly with your insurer's assistance company, and has nothing to do with where your insurance details happen to be. What do you think they'd do if you were unconscious?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah wrote:
Credit card at hospital, is all that is required. Then you contact your insurer. Keep all receipts.

In France EHIC is all Moutier hospital required, Medical centre in ski resort required credit card. (Cos it's private and btb doesn't accept Carre Neige or what ever!)

Piste rescue do accept Carre Neige (or carre whatever) or credit card (usually in exchange for the injured persons skis/board)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My insurance Co sends me a text message with all of the relevent info when I buy the policy, so as long as I have the phone with me, the policy number and telephone hotline numbers are in my pocket.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. Sah/Lizzard, yes indeed, it would be callous, and pointless if I was unconsious - I was more thinking of not having the opportunity to get back to the chalet and needing insurance details in hospital/medical centre.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mal0r wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Sah/Lizzard, yes indeed, it would be callous, and pointless if I was unconsious - I was more thinking of not having the opportunity to get back to the chalet and needing insurance details in hospital/medical centre.

Yeah, I see your point, really that's more about convenience, there's no risk of not getting urgent care (I mistakenly assumed you were worried about being left there on the mountain - re-reading your post I see this was not your point). It's certainly worth keeping a copy of the essentials (policy number, phone number) about you. If nothing else it reduces stress a little bit. A laminate card makes perfect sense for this - in fact one of my policies sends me a "credit card" for just that (I take out extra cover with the Austrian Alpine Club because my normal insurance won't cover ski touring), for my other policy I just have a copy of the details in my wallet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I put important details on a laminated card for my kids to carry in their coats:

my mobile,
hotel name & number
ski rep (if with TO)
Insurance details
Passport number

Also if on a school trip (about 80 kids) I put a few important numbers on a laminated card for them

Hotel number
Rep number
Emergency contact number for teachers (has proved very useful in the Past)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
james75, that's far too sensible a suggestion for this forum. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mal0r, I've been carted off the mountain once - in France. They asked me whether I was insured before loading me into the blood wagon, but they didn't ask to see my documents until I was in the holding area at the bottom of the mountain. I don't remember being asked for my credit card, but I do remember them claiming the evacuation fee from my insurers when I got home. I was carrying my insurance documents, and I'd advise everyone to do that too, it makes everything simple.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if someone know, if the insurance of the credit card for winter sport is enough for off-piste in France, or is better to have a specific one ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yariv_har: We got seperate from our bank account cover as a couple of us in the family have previous medical declarations to make which ar enot covered in default card/bank included travel insurance.

Well, I've made the cards up, all rough and ready but contain name, insurance company contact number and policy number and emergency contact telephone.

So the Mrs' card has me as emergency (pointless being anyone who isn't in the resort at the time as far as I can tell)
So do the kids' cards and my card has the Mrs as emergency contact.

Just means we don't have to cary the insurance documents with us in a single bag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get Dogtag insurance. Carry the dogtags they send you. Easiest way is to cable tie them to the thingy that is inside your pocket - normally designed for attaching a goggle wipe I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monium; I did see some that are geared up for proper carry-with-you details but possibly not as comprehensive as the AA. We really wanted to go for £10m worth of medical and the other coverage is pretty good too. It may also have been one of the cheapest too suprisingly, espcially when taking previous medical conditions into account. Anyone who is still considering their insurance, a lot of folk overlook the AA, but they do seem to be on the ball.
latest report
james75 wrote:
I put important details on a laminated card for my kids to carry in their coats:

my mobile,
hotel name & number
ski rep (if with TO)
Insurance details
Passport number

Also if on a school trip (about 80 kids) I put a few important numbers on a laminated card for them

Hotel number
Rep number
Emergency contact number for teachers (has proved very useful in the Past)

+1

They also have a photocopy of their passports and EHIC. When the children were smaller, there were two occasions when the ski instructor lost them, and they presented themselves at the nearest lift with their paperwork.

Not just for the children either, I carry an envelope with all this in - helpful if carted off the mountain unconscious (and, yes, it's happened once) Embarassed
latest report
I always carry a copy of the schedule. Last week I had to carry a copy that listed all the members of the group.
snow report
I ask my insurance company to give me a card with the details on it and if they cant I change companies, as a BASP trained person I search for these first if you are unable to tell us rather than opening wallets for details as this can be misconstrued in my opinion.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy