Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Caught between levels..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having a bit of a dilemma here. So here's my situation, any advice wold be very appreciated!!

I am very keen on getting (more) into off piste skiing. The last three years I have had a total of probably 6 off piste half days spread over the three years, with a couple extra holidays as well where the off piste wasn't there to be had! I'm off to Val D'Isere this weekend,and obviously am keen to get some more done, the question is, where is my level!?

The options are either an 'introduction to off piste' three half day course, or a 'off piste adventure' t half days. I'm not sure where I fit in! In terms of my skiing, I'm happy to ski any piste in resort, and ski it, not just survive it. I guess the only runs that give me a bit of nerves are the likes of The Swiss Wall in PDS and the grand Couloir in 3V, but have skied them both in the last few years, and although maybe a bit slow, loved it! Off piste skiing wise, the last couple of lessons I have felt comfortable, if not fast, on the runs we've done. I can link turns in the fluffy stuff when it's not too steep, although not as 'bouncy' as it should be. I get it wrong occasionally and end up a snowball! On the steeper stuff, well, it's not stylish, but I can link a few turns, and get down things slowly. Again occasional snowball moments, but they're far from being every steep run. Fitness is probably not what it should be, couldn't do a full day off piste for sure, probably hampers my technique more than anything.

From a nerves point of view, I think I'm pretty up for anything, and give things a go. A bit of adrenalin is part of the reason for getting into the off piste Toofy Grin

So here is my dilemma, having done a few off piste beginner lessons/groups, I know the last time I felt a little held back by some of the others, if not all. However I suspect that if I signed up for an 'off piste adventure', I may do the same to others.

I know it's impossible to know my level without seeing me ski, tried to beashonestas possible, not big myself up but not underestimate. Anyone been in a similar position before? Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,

Gareth
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiG wrote:
Any words of wisdom?
Choose a course where there will be more than one group so if necessary the ski school will be able to move you up or down a group? Snoworks might be a suitable option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,
Just had a look, nothing in ValD'isere at all, never mind next week. Doesn't seem to be many places offering different levels of specific off piste courses, cheers for suggestion tho, that would be the ideal
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think they run most of their off-piste and back-country courses in St Anton. Tignes is used as one of their venues, but I don;t think they base any courses in Val d'Isere.

Maybe try Alpine Experience who operate in Val d'Isere and might be suitable for what you're looking for. Or Top Ski, also based in Val.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiG, you could try Alpine Experience, run half days of varying abilities....

http://www.alpineexperience.com/program/37/lessons-in-technique

if you find the lessons too simple, they do more guiding with occasional lessons??

or mountain masters? Both I think would be honest with you about suitability if you describe your ability and desires

http://www.mountain-masters.com/off_piste_group.asp

and I think you've aleady found TDC...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips, emails sent!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiG happy to comment as you requested......

Putting my ski instructor and impartial hat on here based on what you have written above.

Certainly Top Ski and AE here in Val are likely to have varying groups ability wise next wise but both ourselves and Mountain Masters are likely to be slightly fewer in terms of numbers of different groups running. However as someone who runs groups like this I would say based on what you say and your experience that you would fit more into the Off Piste Adventure level as described on our www.tdcski.com website...... as you know we have one running next week..... there are now 4 people booked on it BTW.

As an aside I do happen to know one of the four people in the group next week and he himself is a SH and posts from time to time.... perhaps he will comment on here in a moment. I have taught him a fair bit over the years and I am pretty sure he would see similarities between where he is and what you are saying.

One final thing to say is that Nicko is down to be running the week next week and I do know as one of my colleagues that Off Piste is very much his 'thing' so if anyone can, nicko can..... so as to coin a phrase there! Always consider also the guiding versus teaching and developing performance approach to off piste as you can sometimes get one when you want the other and vice-a-versa.

Hope that helps!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
P.S. All of Top Ski / MM / AE and ourselves I would give the 'recommendation' thumbs up to by the way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Angus, totally OT but just read your biog - had no idea you were an ex-Hollowegian!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a great time with Nicko the week before Christmas; he's a really good coach and conditions were superb. Knee deep pow on the piste says it all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy