Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ice Peak Jackets??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've not really spent much money on kit for skiing and am looking to invest in some better gear now mine is somewhat tired (someone borrowed my jacket in training for a walk to the pub and it got a little bit pulled about on the way home. Didn't bother with getting money from them - its done two seasons, was only 70GBP when I got it and is 'doing' for now. but its time to look for something else!)

Can anyone tell me if Ice Peak are pretty good or not? I have a hankering for the Mercia Jacket in the violent Orange (although haven't found a stockist for my size yet Sad There was one but they seem to have sold out of the 'bigbird' sizes!!)

the description is -

2013 Icepeak Mercia Jacket

Features

SUPER SOFT TOUCH
Super Soft Touch wadding is made of extra fine fibers, consequently the wadding is very light and soft but it still has good thermal capacity. Products made of this material are light and can be packed into a small space.

ICETECH 2 000
Waterproof and breathable material: 2000mm/2000g/m2/24h. Products made of this fabric protect you from wind and water.

Colour: Orange

Price 150.00GBP

and picture -

Otherwise - any recommendations for something vaguely girly, man enough for when the temps drop in January (usually!) and BRIGHT!! Not necessarily pink though Smile

Don't really want to spend heaps as I don't earn heaps - 150.00 feels like a lot but of course, looking around resort, that is the cheaper end. So should I look to spend loads more or is this kind of jacket ok?

Thanx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chaletgirl, I've had an ice peak jacket, loved it. Really warm, wind proof etc. It did the job brilliantly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got a nice Icepeak jacket as well. Mine nice and cheap in the end of season sale in L2A last year
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chaletgirl, I've an Icepeak jacket as well and am often too warm in it! Well made and good price, I also bought salopettes as well and am toasty warm as long as I remember to do up all the vents and pockets (there are lots!) Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Icepeak are ok jackets. They are not great, but they are cheap, so I guess there's good value for money. Thing is, I spend more then half a year, every year, in ski jackets, and when you are on course for 4 or 5h a day, every day and in any kind of weather, money is not most important thing. But then again, I'm seriously thinking to change my Halti stuff (unless we again get some nice deal from Halti rep here) for Icepeak next year, which means changing 600eur jacket which lasts 2 years max, for 100-150eur jacket (or even less if you get some discount, which with Icepeak is pretty much always), which I would throw away on end of season and get new one for next season, without any bad feeling.
Otherwise my wife has few of both, Icepeak and Halti, and she's happy with Icepeak. As I said, it's not really greatest jacket around, but it's kinda hard to compare 100eur worth jacket with 600+eur worth ones.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Got an Icepeak jacket had it for the last two years (so its done about 35days) seems to be holding up well is nice and light and definitly warm/dry/breathable enough for me (mine is a 5000 one though) got all the features you need. I'd say they're definitley good value for money wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, but like primoz said probably can't really compete maybe with some more expensive jackets.

if your in the UK surfanic do jackets in a similar range that seem to get decent enough reviews from what i've heard (not had one personally tho) so maybe check them out too...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanx everyone. Primoz - whilst I'm going to use it for a season or more, I tend to layer and don't usually (usually!!) feel the cold too much whilst skiing. I can't spend €600 on a jacket but one that I can put layers under is fine. I am starting my third season in a very cheap n cheerful jacket (think it was £70 before my first season) that, if it hadn't been damaged by someone, it would have lasted this season. I just want something a bit smarter and nicer and 'shiney'!! (not literally shiney! more newshiney!! Very Happy )

Anyway - thank you all. I'll have a look at surfanic as the IcePeak one I want doesn't seem to be very available in the size/colour I want Sad (Google and I aren't great friends sadly Sad ) but will keep looking Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chaletgirl, it's not that Icepeak would be cold or something. Thing is, that for example Halti (which we use for last few years) is just done better, so it last more. But like I said... I'm spending half year on slope working. That means backpacks, skis and stuff, crawling under or climbing over fences etc... in general abusing your gear much more then average skiing would do it. And with this, it's nice to have something a bit better.
For going for skiing holidays, and use it for 20 or 30 days a year, for skiing only, without carrying something on your shoulders and back all the time, Icepeak will be perfectly fine. And no need you would need to change it after end of season or two. It's really far from bad, and most likely one of best buys when consider price. And like I said... if we (our agency) won't be getting some very good deal with Halti next season, we are most likely going with something like Icepeak too, even if jacket would last "only" one season. Afterall difference between 100eur and 600eur (and for 4 or 5 jackets) is not that small either Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz wrote:
chaletgirl, it's not that Icepeak would be cold or something. Thing is, that for example Halti (which we use for last few years) is just done better, so it last more. But like I said... I'm spending half year on slope working. That means backpacks, skis and stuff, crawling under or climbing over fences etc... in general abusing your gear much more then average skiing would do it. And with this, it's nice to have something a bit better.
For going for skiing holidays, and use it for 20 or 30 days a year, for skiing only, without carrying something on your shoulders and back all the time, Icepeak will be perfectly fine. And no need you would need to change it after end of season or two. It's really far from bad, and most likely one of best buys when consider price. And like I said... if we (our agency) won't be getting some very good deal with Halti next season, we are most likely going with something like Icepeak too, even if jacket would last "only" one season. Afterall difference between 100eur and 600eur (and for 4 or 5 jackets) is not that small either Wink

Cheers. I ski between 3 and 6 days a week for the season but not comparable to the use you put your stuff through!! I try not to use a backpack too often and only ski for a few hours a day (when I'm not called back to work!!) So, reading everything you and the others have written, if I can find the Mercia jacket in orange and bigbird size, I'll get it!! Very Happy

Thank you
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy