Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots in London or Whistler?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am heading out to whistler in a couple of weeks and need to get a new pair of boots

In terms of quality and price, whats my best bet?

Will boots in Whistler be extortionately expensive or similar to here?

Thanks a lot
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
short answer is yes, Whistler IS more expensive.
we did a small amount of research - Surefoot boots run to $1300 Cdn, so about £800.

prices in Canada are generally high, due to exchange rate. In addition, Whistler is a captive market.
e.g. Salomon Geishas typically $649Cdn plus tax, plus binding....

flipside is that service is very good, so if your boots don't fit, the shops will sort it out for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot of snowheads seem to have been successful with bootfitting at profeet fulham if that helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thomaspassmore,
Well you could buy a pair of ski boots where there are no mountains so to speak within a few hundred miles to try them out on and find they need some work, or...
Whistler is not really a captive market at all, Vancouver is quite a big place with quite a few boot shops and many of the visitors (ie from the US and Canada) have plenty of other options, but I'd still buy (and am buying!) my boots in Whistler. Exchange rate definitely doesn't help you though.
I would reccomend the guy doing mine but he's certainly not cheap and he may take a while - he started mine in November snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Almost all ski equipment is more expensive over here. If you have easy to fit feet then I would get them in the UK, even if you need a tweak in Whistler it will probably work out cheaper.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
George McConkey at Macoos in Whistler - sadly, the boots I got fitted there have finally given up after over 100 weeks of skiing, and I'm sure I'll never get a pair as well-fitting as those. The only service that comes close in the UK is James at Outdoor Traders in Abingdon who fitted my current, very comfortable boots, or Colin (CEM on this forum) at Solutions4feet in Bicester (who looked at my feet, shook his head and referred me on to James). Neither is too far out of London.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for CEM. I got my boots from him and have had no problems at all and they have done a few weeks now, Colin certainly knows his stuff and won't just sell you any old boot
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lilywhite, and a fair few have not. CEM for me.

It all really depends on your feet. Mine tend to swell at altitude more than ususal (or so I have been led to believe) which means boots that are comfortable in London, cripple on Mont Blanc. I now have enough knowledge to compensate but if you have got 'unusual' feet for whatever reason then I would suggest that fitting in the UK is advisable, regardless of cost. A pair of boots you cannot wear is an expensive mistake regardless of how much you 'save' in comparison to the price at destination, especially so if you have to rent when you get to where you are headed.

All the other arguemnts have been made above.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RattytheSnowRat, fair point, only suggested because the OP specified London.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy