Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Ski insurers are increasingly recommending that policyholders wear ski helmets."

Poster: A snowHead
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-01-13 0:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My insurer don't require or recommend helmet wearing. I wear one, but through my own choice, not my insurer's.

This is definitely a feature of US insurers though, as I found when I was skiing in California last December. My friends there wore helmets, and it was an insurance requirement to do so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

There was a report, some months ago, that the soaring sales of ski helmets have been accompanied by a rise in serious head injuries.

Yeah, I'm sure there was. Was it like this one? http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/13/6/368.short, which says "24 relevant articles [...] indicate that the incidence of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and spinal cord injury (SCI) in skiing and snowboarding is increasing".

It also says that "the increases coincide with the development and acceptance of acrobatic and high-speed activities on the mountains" and "There is evidence that helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 22–60%."
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
--

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-01-13 0:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is risking turning into another helmet thread. The stat of whether head injuries are increasing or not needs to be taken in context. The type of skiing done has a huge effect on it's relevance. Consider that more and more skiers are in the 'park' area, grinding rails and doing jumps, it's inevitable that head trauma is going to increase. As this is a relatively new development in skiing activity, and not one that has any history of being done before helmets became popular, it's impossible to quantify the extent to which helmets have reduced the degree of trauma.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
sah, let's start with serious head trauma (fatal, fractured skulls, concussion etc) per 1000 skier days. Has it been increasing or decreasing over the past 5-10 years?

I assume from the study I linked above it has been increasing. If you can link to something else then I won't argue with peer reviewed science, I'll let the authors do that.

Quote:

I recall that the Ettlinger, Johnson et al research in Vermont was one of the long-term studies.

I must confess an interest here: I don't want insurance companies telling me what I should wear, unless there is compelling justification for it. And it is a matter of record that the helmet industry has used false statistical evidence, over the past decade, to sell their inadequate and highly-priced products.

My link was to a BMJ article, not a helmet industry press release.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 9-01-13 13:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef wrote:
This is risking turning into another helmet thread. The stat of whether head injuries are increasing or not needs to be taken in context. The type of skiing done has a huge effect on it's relevance. Consider that more and more skiers are in the 'park' area, grinding rails and doing jumps, it's inevitable that head trauma is going to increase. As this is a relatively new development in skiing activity, and not one that has any history of being done before helmets became popular, it's impossible to quantify the extent to which helmets have reduced the degree of trauma.

This is one of the points of the article I linked to, park skiing and boarding seems to be a major factor in the increase.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
--

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 11-01-13 0:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

I'm wondering if the much bigger and more dangerous air being jumped these days has actually been 'opened up' by helmet-wearing participants/competitors who have been psychologically affected? I.e. does the helmet induce much greater risk-taking?

Probably not. Again, the BMJ: http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/13/3/173.short - "No evidence of risk compensation among helmet wearers was found. " But the idea comes up again and again, and not just in relation to helmets - similar discussions can be had about off piste skiing and avalanche transceivers etc. I was pretty surprised the "no evidence" was found, but maybe other papers have shown an effect?

Quote:
All in all, I don't see why an insurance company would see it as their business to tell me what to put on my head.

Most of them don't. According the Guardian article you posted "Essential Travel is the only insurer to have made it mandatory for the skiers it insures"

The fact is people are doing more dangerous stuff, be it in parks or off cliffs, or just going faster off piste on fat skis, so head injuries are increasing. Peer reviewed journal articles indicate that helmets reduce the risk of injury, they do not eliminate it, and the insurance industry would be doing a disservice to their shareholders and their customers if they did not look at this. I don't like being told what to do either, and even though I usually wear a helmet I would like to have the option not to so I would be seriously put off by any policy that mandated helmets. On the other hand if they offered to reduce my premium if I promised not to ski in a park or jump of large cliffs then I'd be all in favour of that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strikes me that if there truly is an increase in both helmet sales and head injuries that it could be down to the world war one effect.

In WW1 troops were initially not issued steel helmets only cloth caps and a lot died and were injured on the battlefield due to their heads effectively being at ground level when they were in trenches with all the debris hitting them in the head. When helmets were issued there was an outcry as injuries to the head went up massively, at first there was a demand to remove the helmets as this was "obviously" causing troops to place themselves in more vulnerable positions, however what no one had done was look at how many fatalities from head wounds there had been, what had in fact occurred was that troops who would previously have been killed by flying shrapnel etc hitting their heads were now only being injured, calmer (more sensible) voices prevailed and the troops kept their helmets.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A very superficial article with very little research other than phoning a bloke at moneysupermarket.com

I lost total interest when it recommended £3000 cancellation costs. Who pays £3000 per person for a ski holiday up front.

In the summer I had to cancel our family climbing trip due to a heart attack with 3 days notice. The hotel at Gatwick refunded the money in full immediately, the car hire company in Italy most of the money, the airline most of the money. Our out of pocket expenses were less than £100 each, the excess charged by the insurance company took most of that so we didn't bother putting a claim in. Of course you cannot claim back for an insurance policy premium you never used.

The helmet bit is added at the end just to make the word count up

"Ski insurers are increasingly recommending that policyholders wear ski helmets. So far, however, Essential Travel is the only insurer to have made it mandatory for the skiers it insures." I suppose they are right in that going from zero to one is an increase, But then I have never heard of Essential Travel anyway
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

I'm wondering if the much bigger and more dangerous air being jumped these days has actually been 'opened up' by helmet-wearing participants/competitors who have been psychologically affected? I.e. does the helmet induce much greater risk-taking?

Probably not. Again, the BMJ: http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/13/3/173.short - "No evidence of risk compensation among helmet wearers was found. " But the idea comes up again and again, and not just in relation to helmets - similar discussions can be had about off piste skiing and avalanche transceivers etc. I was pretty surprised the "no evidence" was found, but maybe other papers have shown an effect?

And to further that, I read some research that showed that helmet use was more prevalent in those who were of a higher standard of skier and already doing these activities. What's interesting was that one of the greatest demographics which showed the greatest increase in helmet use were younger less experienced skiers and it's thought that the increase is in part due to aspirational association with these big mountain, freeriding extreme skiers... ie they are wearing the helmets firstly because their skiing role models are, and secondly for protection. NB the association was not always obvious nor were they consciously aware of their prioritisation of the reasons for helmet wearing. I really must find the PDF.. I'm sure I saved it somewhere :S
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're missing the important bit in their advice guidelines.
Quote:
Be aware that insurers can refuse to pay out medical costs if you were "under the influence of alcohol" when you had an accident.

That's not an advisory notice, thats a 'blood alcohol level below X or you're not covered' clause
Why get so het-up about what may be on your head when this is in most peoples cover already?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the helmet debate is more or less over in the US at least - at least 90% usage I'd estimate and those that don't seem to be the very casual tourists/weekenders or the odd holdout "core" boarders. Non-helmet wearing seemed to have a high correlation with straight skis and rear entry boots otherwise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is nothing in my insurance about having to wear a helmet. Thankfully.
snow report
Insurers will start to mandate helmets if or when the actuaries calculate that doing so has an impact on the bottom line.

I wear a helmet, it (almost certainly) saved my life once, I couldn't care less whether other people do or don't. Is there much more to say?
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, so when are you going skiing old chap?

Photos of you on snow with no lid on in the last 2 years please!

Otherwise your input and attempt to ignore the increasing body of evidence seems a bit weird. Bit like a virgin giving sex therapy...

El Hen - a proper journalist - has linked to relevant articles recently... eg

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92860

This may seem petty - but it would be really nice to see you posting a "news" item with less bias in your comment than... say... would be standard at Fox News...
snow report
--

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-13 0:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, I am really glad if you are now getting to ski again. You have in the past been someone who was not skiing and yet was happy to lecture others on all sorts of aspects of their safety and travel arrangements.

Quote:

I'm all in favour of skiers taking independent decisions about ski helmets, based on hard scientific evidence of whether they reduce the incidence of serious or fatal head injuries.

The answer is now a pretty clear - YES they reduce severe head injury without increasing neck injury or accident likelihood, and NO they have not been proven to reduce fatal head injury - but it is unlikely a trial of statistical power enough to demonstrate an effect can be done - given the low incidence of fatal head injuries.

But you knew that... Wink

For those who don't know the history here, Mr Goldsmith once spent over 100 posts in a single SCGB forum thread, arguing that red string was an acceptable safety measure for avalanche protection... He eschewed the use of shovel/probe/beacon... and cited an opinion from a book over 40 years old as his evidence, even when someone got hold of the next edition which showed that the author had changed his mind...

David, I'd love to know what you make of Airbags, with their near 100% prevention of Burial/fatality when deployed. I presume you'd suggest that a traditional Brown paper bag and some British fortitude would accomplish the same? Wink
latest report
--

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 11-01-13 0:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

want your face struck by an aluminium shovel?

If I was suffocating under the snow, then hell yes.
ski holidays
--

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 11-01-13 0:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
You miss the point. If the avalanche cord was linked to your waist, maybe the digger would aim for that first.

The cord thing has been done before, not least on this forum, lets not bother again. They've been tried, they don't really help, transceivers are much better, airbags better still. End of story.
latest report
Can I just interject - I wear a helmet because I had a cranitomy a few years back - my wife wears one because of the same reason I do - my neurosurgeon explained the dynamics of impact on the head and it doesn't bear thinking about. Shocked

He also skis and he wears a helmet, but then I also know of doctors who smoke........... Cool

Until it becomes law, you takes your chance - I did.......... snowHead
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I think the helmet debate is more or less over in the US at least - at least 90% usage I'd estimate and those that don't seem to be the very casual tourists/weekenders or the odd holdout "core" boarders. Non-helmet wearing seemed to have a high correlation with straight skis and rear entry boots otherwise.

Have a look at the photo of the pre-season group with Inside out on the top of their Fbook page

http://www.facebook.com/InsideOutSkiing?fref=ts

Max of 3 non helmet wearers - out of a total of 15 in the photo. So 20% without.

Personally I would be disappointed if it became compulsory for adults - or becomes that way due to insurance restrictions..
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, I am really glad you are skiing again.

But yes. I suspect you'd find few here who didn't think you lived in the past.
snow report
No mention of helmets in my insurance, compulsory helmets would end my skiing, i hate wearing one so much. I had to wear one yesterday so i could join the kids on the toboggan run in les arcs, desperate to get it off after just 10min, never mind all day.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, You are wrong, because if insurers see it economically justified they may well tell you what to put on your head. The freedom of choice is fully yours only when you are prepared to pay out of your own pocket the full price of the consequences of your choice. Since this is not the case, this freedom is not unconditional and can be removed from you by those sharing the costs. I am not arguing for or against helmets but I find it very naive when people talk about their freedom to choose what to wear. Tear up your insurance policy, go skiing uninsured and then you will be free to choose. It's life. "Beggars can't be chooses" and all of us who need our costs to be shared are beggars in a way, and those sharing the bigger part of costs will always have a say that matters more than ours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from my first ever skiing holiday and was the only one in our lesson group without a helmet (other than the instructor! lol) I didn't even think to put one on until I saw everyone else with one, felt a bit exposed after that!

I also hooked up with some other guys who were absolutely fantastic skiers, one of them was an ex SAS veteran, they also all had helmets on, whilst in their company I was the only one to fall over and didn't have a helmet on, the point wasn't lost on me I have to say, from now on I will be wearing a helmet!

Of course I'm only a novice so I'll probably spend more time butting snow than most people on here, however I wouldn't dream of preaching to anyone about it, their choice, their risk.
snow conditions
If you hit your head on something hard, a helmet will prevent or reduce the injury, I cannot see how anyone could argue against that, but how any one can stand up and say that using protective equipment does not modify behaviour is beyond me, the evidence is everywhere in life. The number of posters on this forum that say they would not ski without a helmet is a perfect example of this ie the use of a helmet allows them to take the risk of going skiing
At a rough estimate this week i would say 75% wearing helmets, 20% wearing hats and i'm in the 5% wearing sunscreen and sunnies
snow report
sted wrote:
...their choice, their risk.

A pertinent sentiment in relation to insurance. As you're paying insurance to underwrite the risks you take, be they on the road, your property and posessions or you holiday, the insurer is always going to try to mitigate those risks, by charging more or by adding caveats to your policy. Your car policy has conditions of cover such as you're not covered if you get into your car roaring drunk, or if the vehicle isn't road worthy. Equally, if you've got a history in indulging in risky behaviour, like going fast or driving under the influence, that risk is reflected in your premium.

I really don't see what you're worked up about in this. Only one insurance company is implementing a helmet stipulation, if you don't like that, vote with your feet. If the practice becomes standard, you'll be able to find a specilaist who will insure you but at a higher premium - and holiday insurance with winter sports cover isn't mandatory.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
sted wrote:
...their choice, their risk.

A pertinent sentiment in relation to insurance. As you're paying insurance to underwrite the risks you take, be they on the road, your property and posessions or you holiday, the insurer is always going to try to mitigate those risks, by charging more or by adding caveats to your policy. Your car policy has conditions of cover such as you're not covered if you get into your car roaring drunk, or if the vehicle isn't road worthy.

Good points - but I wonder why no insurer has ever suggested making helmets compulsory in cars? Or when climbing? Or when riding a bike? Or when walking along the road? It's a really strange phenomenon in skiing - something that started with people trying to look like they're gnarly extreme dudes has spread to the rest of the population to the extent that people refer to people as "Darwin Award nominees" for choosing not to wear a one, and infer that they're putting their families at risk of thirty years of bum wiping. And according to one poster on this thread, helmets apparently stop you from falling over!

I've been skiing thirty years. I've fallen over a lot. I've never injured my head - ever. I'm not even sure if I've ever banged it, but can't be sure. I've bought a helmet this year and might wear it sometimes, but I'm really not sure why I have!
snow report
--

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-13 0:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
andy from embsay, Indeed, there is a lot of nonsense from both sides of the debate, although it does appear that people are indeed voting with their feet and helmet users are now in the majority.

I've simply considered them as an 'insurance option', head-cover if you will.
You can pay for a £20 policy from Lidl or a £200 from Sweet or others, and get better coverage.
It's not a get-out-of-jail free card, and it's terms are quite specific, your cover is limited and you will be liable for the excess.
Insurance is certainally no substitute for taking personal care.

I have only had to cash my 'policy' in once in the past 12 years, and I was lucky enough to find my cover sufficient to cover the incident.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways, While I know Sweet make fine kit I think it's a little misleading to imply that a Lidl helmet isn't much cop, it will have been designed and made to comply with the standards stated (& I believe they are very similar to Giros). I too have cashed my policy once and was sufficiently dazed and confused to not want to know what the effect would have been without. However I don't care what others choose to do.
ski holidays
fatbob, Perhaps a little mean spirited of me to pick on a Lidl helmet in my example. And yes, all helmets must meet the regulation to be classified. But in my experience the difference comes not from meeting those requirements from how far the helmet can exceed them (along with other factors like build and material quality, weight, air flow/cooling etc, ability to survive multiple impacts etc). Equally, personal factors such as fit come into the euqation. Sure, some of it may be 'paying for a name' but not all helmets are created equally.
snow report
It does seem to be a strange sticking point in skiing, as stated I am a total newcomer to the sport but I have done a lot of mountain biking in the past and whilst there are obvious differences the helmet argument is nothing like as divided, its pretty much accepted that everyone wears one, never helped me the time I face planted on a drop off though! Lol! I guess you pays your money and takes your choice, I would say however that if head injuries where anything like as prolific as something like motorcycle's then surely the insurance companies would already be insisting people wear them? Just a thought!

I guess with my skills as a skier I'm just as likely to ski off a precipice as hurt my bonce skiing into a tree head first, maybe I should wear a parachute as well? Worked for Roger Moore! Cool
snow report
andy from embsay, 'I wonder why no insurer has ever suggested making helmets compulsory in cars? Or when climbing? Or when riding a bike? Or when walking along the road?'

All good things come to those who wait...

I just don't get why this exercises people so much. If you want to wear a helmet, wear one. If you don't, don't - unless and until it's mandated by the resort, the nation or your insurers (in the former two cases that would be a black day, of course).

What is hard, or controversial, about that?
ski holidays
I own a helmet, but hardly ever use it. I don't use a cycle helmet either.

I'm not sure I can justify my actions, but I'll have a go.

I pretty much accept that it's safer to ski (or indeed cycle) while wearing a helmet. But by the same token it's also safer to do just about any activity while wearing a helmet. Where do we draw the line?

I view the debate about helmet wearing in skiing as the latest front line in a long slow campaign to introduce helmet wearing throughout life. This started with the introduction of safety helemts in obvious places like mining and recreational caving then moved through other high risk areas like construction work, motor racing, then onto all motorbike users, professional skiers professional cyclists to where we are today.

A quick Google on football (or soccer) helmets revealed that such things do exist, and seem to be used in Americam childrens' games. Othe areas ripe for 'helmetisation' would I suggest be childrens playgrounds, the elderly and all car drivers.

I have no problem with anyone wearing a helemt in any activity should thery choose to do so. I would however br profoundly angry if there was ever any element of coersion attached to the use of a helmet in my recreational activities. I really do not want to see helmet clauses appearing in ski insurance policies.

I believe it should be for each individual to make up their own mind about the risk/reward balance involved in wearing a helmet for any adult sport.

So I suppose I choose not to wear a helmet because I don't believe that safer equals better in all circumstances. For my personal risk/reward calculation I am prepared to accept a slightly increased risk of a head injury as the price I pay for the slight feeling of being a rebel Puzzled

Alternatively I might just be a knob.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Basically, responsible organisations started to dupe skiers with false head injury data about ten years ago, and no one asked any questions.

evidence for this statement please?

And have you looked at the stuff El Hen linked to?

Why is it you ignore evidence which doesn't fit in with your personal prejudices?

And I see your attempt to hotlink isn't working... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy