Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1850 - La Saulire

Poster: A snowHead
Just taken a look at the Courchevel webcams (32 days and counting)... Have they remodelled the top the Combe de Saulire? I don't remember the gentle slope entering in on the left (as you come down the hill). I know there has always been that track around the right hand side to avoid the top bowl entrance.

Maybe I'm going mad.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my memory there have always been two entries at the top of the Combe de Saulire: one from the col (accessible from the Vizelle bubble) and one from the top station of the Saulire gondola. I don't think I would call it 'gentle' though!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, yep, but there now appears to be a 3rd gentle entrance

webcam link http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/webcams-lc72.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that narrow cat track from Vizelle bubble was there last year but we did not use it.
Looking at this webcam now even the piste entrance from Saulie cable car (far right) seems somehow gentler and different to what it was last year. But maybe it is just my memory.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-01-13 12:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, I also remember a fairly steep drop into the run.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep that's what I thought, You could always enter from the right hand side but it was usually unpisted, the bit in the middle was steep and got ski'd out quickly but I always enjoyed it. That right hand side now looks very gentle, guess it's opened up the run to a lot more folks now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, I haven't noticed any difference, but maybe that's just me being unobservant
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patch wrote:
ansta1, I haven't noticed any difference, but maybe that's just me being unobservant
I didn;t think there were any changes to the entrance to that piste when I skied it last month. Two entries at the top, same steepness as before, plus the little cat track to avoid the steepest part of the slope.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
must be me, here is a grab of the webcam

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1, I though the same as you, but now if you look at this www for the same web cam http://courchevel.livecam360.net/saulire
- you can check the archive from December 2011 and the entrances seem very similar.

I still think I have seen it much steeper on some photos when I did the research before our first trip last year, so maybe it was indeed steeper but good few years back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks very similar to me as I remember it last year, it's probably the angle of the photo; I'll report back next week as I'm in the 3V Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied it a week or so back and far right entrance is defintiely steep for a red run and just about the same as the middle entrance -
though its "true steepness" started at the A of Saulire rather than the E, I think
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wildsmith, done the saulire run many many times, and its still one of my favourite runs of all time, love tipping of the top and seeing how long it takes to get down to le praz.

must just be the angle that makes it look less steep.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, I agree , my memory is of that bit being steepish, enough to stop and look first, that looks quite gentle.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No change over the last 5 years AFAIK. The Vizelle side is maybe a little steeper but generally in better condition and less skied than the cable car side.

Cable car side often moguled and full of people falling. I'd opt for Vizelle or the chicken run.
snow report
Thanks folks, like I say I must be going mad. Been doing the Saulire almost every year and never realised it was so flat on the left side as you look down the mountain.

Never taken the chicken run, but once came flying over the top lost edges (as in fell over) on the first turn span around to head pointing down the slope, just tucked head in rolled legs over engaged edges and then the slope and momentum popped me back up on the ski's carried on skiing like nothing had happened.

Despite falling got Kudos in the bar afterwards for the recovery. 32 days and first afternoons skiing will be just finishing and the first evenings drinking will just be starting......Happy
snow conditions
ansta1, OK I see what you mean now looking at the webcam grab, but no, it's the same as it always was
latest report
I can safely say that last Saturday my 9 year old and me thought it was pretty steep at the start. She of course got down quicker than her old father and complained that I was slowing her down. Snow was good by the way
ski holidays
Patch, thanks patch wouldn't want them ruining one of the best on piste tip off points...

chrisb, I know had my 8 year old in tears a few years back (bad daddy) but to be fair she was getting a bit overly cocky and needed taking down a peg or two in my view. Plus it was a touch icy (end of the day run). Still get grief from her and Mrs Ansta1.

But she has said she fancies a go at the Grand Couliour this year!!!!!
latest report
I remember that run. Seemed to do it every afternoon in flat light. Soon improved my feel - oh that was a lump that I came to a halt on. Always seemed to be littered with people and equipment, but I managed not to fall!
snow report
The entry to the combe is the stepness as before, as tested today; awesome snow!
snow report
thank the lord, would haveruined one of my favourite runs. Clearly i just always ignored the bit on the left as you look down the mountain....

cheers Steve.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy