Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

resort with ski in/ski out, family friendly, reasonable lift pass,

Poster: A snowHead
hi all

Been trawling the net with the view to booking a family ski week w/c 2nd Feb and am starting to lose faith that we will find something. Really prefer ski in ski out so that we can feed the kids (7 and 9) after ski school a and get back out again for an afternoon together. Don't need Three Valleys size resort as the lift pass is too pricey and we can't do it justice with the kids. Last year La Thuille, worked really well so something similar size. We got lucky last year as the apt was larger than ordered, as I slightly begrudge sleeping on a sofa bed when paying over 2k. Prior to that Puy St Vincent.

So in short, we've moved on from needing childcare, but still need the small friendly resort. Thoughts turn to Flaine, Valmeinier (is it only snow coach), contamines ?. If we could get a cheap package we'd take it, but it seems to be all the same resorts on the Thompson/Crystal deals. Or possibly a self drive with private apt.

Any ideas welcome?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you you might be interested in a self-catering apartment mine is available for the week of 2 Feb. It's in Les Arcs so doesn't really meet the small resort criterion, but has two bedrooms, is ski in/out (we usually pop back for lunch), private underground garage so good for a self-drive, etc. You can see more details if you follow the link in my signature. I offer snowHeads a 10% discount.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suki, Chamrousse with Crystal?? Les Houches with Inghams?? Might work in terms of a cheap package in a ski-in/out area. Good luck!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
suki, depends on size of budget....
Not the cheapest lift pass but pretty well ski in / out accommodation is www.mareo.it where we have stayed a few times. It's a walk of 25 yards to the lift at the back of the apartment. Can't comment on ski schools yet. May be able to do so after March
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Sybelles, St Sorlin D'Arves etc were starting to be included in some TO brochures. Could fit the bill.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
suki, Have a look at Pila which is next door to La Thuille there are packages but you can also look at Carole on www.pilaski.co.uk who would sort you out with everything but travel to resort. Send her a message to see what she can do if you want, it would be tailored to your exact requirement and budget.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine: http://www.igluski.com/flaine/les-pleiades-apartments_p26223?holidayid=60378775 ?
Serre Chevalier?: http://www.igluski.com/serre-chevalier/l-adret-apartments_p30852?holidayid=40254045

Presumably these are the deals you've already checked out though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
suki, Les Saisies would fit your requirements and there are any number of ski in/out apartments.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for your input. A few resorts I had never heard of, but I now find that Peak Retreats seem to cover a lot of them. That just leaves me working on the price. Last year we got travel and accom for 4 for £1000, which none of the links sent come near to, but it was about 10 days before, so perhaps I need to sit tight and see what comes up. Thank you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
suki wrote:
Valmeinier (is it only snow coach)

I did half term there a few years ago, using Snowtrex.

It was dirt cheap and good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Rosiere is obviously linked to La Thuile, but is poles apart as a village/town. The lift pass is great value for a family and there is a lot of ski in places, especially in Les Eucherts. Pila also impressed me as a good place to take kids.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Piehole wrote:
suki wrote:
Valmeinier (is it only snow coach)

I did half term there a few years ago, using Snowtrex.

It was dirt cheap and good.

Stayed there (Valmeinier) a few years ago, booking direct through Pierre et Vacances
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would second somewehre in Italy. Often they have good deals whereby children get free lift passes, unlike in france where that all seems to end at age 5.

If you want reasonable, then how about Abetone in the appenines? I have never been but I was tempted by it recently and we also have two little kids.

France to me seems generally expensive and not always that great quality - especially if you're going for apartments.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or Oberlech. That's ski-in, ski-out and family friendly but I don't know that you'd call it reasonable!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
montgenevre?
http://www.igluski.com/montgenevre/clubhotel-rois-mages_p22875?holidayid=61581842
ski holidays
suki wrote:
Last year we got travel and accom for 4 for £1000,

Sorry,but you might struggle to find something that low with a TO. Its possible a last min desperation bargain might crop up,but its unlikely it will tick all your boxes?
Self drive,self catering might fit though,depending how the kids travel. Done Les deux Alpes many times on this basis. There used to be plenty of cheapish accomodation in the large(French)blocks.A bit shoebox,but the price was right wink I say was,but prices in France have jumped considerably,and lift passes can be a bit high. A quick look brings up this....
http://www.pv-holidays.com/gb-en/search_montagne_ms?facette[destination][]=99&facette[date]=2013-02-02&facette[duration]=7
Studio for 4 for around £350. So your grand would get you there/back/room and food etc. Yea,not the greatest by way of luxury,but perfectly do-able for a week. Well worth contacting Easiski(Charlotte Swift) re kids lessons. More expensive than ski school,but way better... as many on here can testify.And self drive enables you to stop at a big supermarket before you climb the hill. If you cant do the journey in one hit,I recommend you stopover at the B&B Hotel in Troyes(Not the one by the A road,the one on the edge of town)Family rooms for 4,good breakfast.All easily bookable on the net.
Another one well worth a look,Valmoral......
http://www.pv-holidays.com/gb-en/search_montagne_ms?facette[destination][]=191&facette[date]=2013-02-02&facette[duration]=7
A bit pricer,but good for kids.As far as I know,only the ESF operate there,but it focuses on families and has a good reputation.Nothing massively challenging,but a decent enough resort.
For best value lift passes,you are probably looking outside of France IMHO. Some Austria areas can be especially good value for the kids(the SkiWelt comes to mind),but budget accomodation is much harder to find.
Its all do-able,but I would get my skates on if I were you wink Very Happy
snow report
jellemr wrote:
montgenevre?
http://www.igluski.com/montgenevre/clubhotel-rois-mages_p22875?holidayid=61581842

Good find. As its half board,that might be tough to beat?
snow conditions
Ski collection (linked to peak retreats) offer Valmeinier and some other budget resorts like Chamrousse mentioned above.
snow report
St Jean d'Aulps La Grande Terche.

Very close to the linked part of the PDS but separate. Our friends who started with 6&8 year olds are back this year for the third time. Kids have made good progress and they often pop back down for lunch (gondola or reasonable red run).

Lift pass very reasonable and as I understand it the local ESF are a lot more relaxed and less precious than some others.

Probably DIY only though but a relatively short drive from UK
ski holidays
suki, the old shoebox myth raises it's head again. wink You don't have to stay in a shoebox to get good value accommodation. This apartment is €350, still available that week, 2 proper bedrooms, good quality, ski in/out (for kids who can do a straightforward blue run). http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/ Out of the main village, but there's a shop, ski hire shop and other facilities. It's in the same development as mine (which I don't rent out). That leaves plenty of change from £1K if you self drive (and a car would be helpful here, as the ski bus, though reliable, is not very frequent)

Many places are now fully booked for the whole of February.

There are some family ski pass deals available. The local (Les Saisies) pass gives you a fair range of skiing but the whole area (Espace Diamant) pass is not a lot more and gives you 185 kms (not that you'd be able to make good use of that if kids are in ski school every morning)
snow conditions
Val Cenis, real towns, friendly, lift pass euro 130 for 120km of runs..... tell me somewhere cheaper
snow report
cstreat, just had a quick google as I hadn't heard of Val Cenis before to read more about it however the page I got back says it had only 85km of runs? Am I missing something?
latest report
Their website says 125km with other domains nearby. I went there 3 years ago and due to go again in a couple of weeks. Great skiing for all levels. Good off piste and the added attraction of being a dog sled centre. When were were last year the sleds were racing. Definately worth a visit.

http://www.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/ski-glisse/domaine-alpin-val-cenis-vanoise
snow conditions
NickyJ / garystarling - could it be that val cenis has 85km of runs and termignon has 40kmof runs? The two areas are linked. I'm not sure of this just thinking that might explain the difference in figures.

We went to Val Cenis last summer and it is a pleasant resort. We are also going to it this winter and looking forward to seeing it in the snow.

We have opted for the high end apartments (chalets de flambeau). However there are budget options available. I suspect the apartments at the foot of the slope in Termignon are the cheapest.
snow conditions
Thanks both, snowymum, I was wondering if there was something like that going on makes perfect sense Happy
ski holidays
Val cenis is linked with a quick lift to Termingnon. We have stayed at MGM Flambeau twice, and are off again this Friday. Bonneval at the top of the valley is easy to visit, and has a true alpine stone village with no power lines or modern buildings, with the animals wintering under the houses. Lanslebourg is a bit busier in the evenings than Lanslevillard, but I found them a breath of fresh air after the mega resorts of the Tarantaise. MGS ski are a brit/texan company based in Val Cenis who do value apartments, and have good reports, or Peak Retreats.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy