Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow conditions on opening days?

Poster: A snowHead
Just an out of interest general question..... what are snow conditions generally like when a resort opens? Will they want a good coating or will they just be happy to open with the just a few runs open nearer the top?

I wonder because I have been watching the Banff area where I am heading in 3 months.... Sunshine looks like it has a reasonable powdering, but Lake Louise is due open friday fortnight and has barely a dusting at mid station....

Adam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing in late November and early December I've seen resorts open with everything from a few centimetres on a summer pasture with a t-bar working to full mountain cover across several valleys.

When Loveland in Colorado opened last weekend I believe they just ran one chairlift, but their coverage actually looked pretty good. The high-altitude resorts with plenty of snowmaking and a long tradition of opening hotels etc. on a given date will obviously gear themselves up to offer a good choice of runs.

In the Alps there's very little business to be done until Christmas/New Year, however good the snow turns out to be. It's really expensive for resorts to open too early and find that no one turns up to buy tickets. Smaller ski areas like Loveland - especially those that don't involve a big resort infrastructure - can be quite flexible about opening when the snow happens to fall.

In the US, Thanksgiving seems to be quite influential in drawing crowds earlier than Alpine resorts can manage, which is partly why the US ski season gets off to an earlier start.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buns, I'm with you on this. Having kept myself busy checking webcams over the past couple of weeks, I have some concerns over the fact that Lake Louise opens on the 11th Nov and seems devoid of the white stuff. I too am heading out that way in 3 months, so quite why I'm at all worried that there's a lack of snow now I don't know, but all the same I'd feel a lot happier if the ground were a few shades paler.
Where's the flippin' snow Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yard sale junkie, don't worry (he says confidently) you have loads of time. Les Gets (France) opened 3rd Dec last year with one, man-made run.

The US resorts (esp east coast I think) make huge marketing capital out of being able to open for Thanksgiving.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, I'm sure you're right, 3 months is some way off yet and I should be more patient.
Where's the flippin' snow Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well I'm a bit concerned too, mainly because I want to snowboard on the holiday weekend here (Nov 11). Last year this was possible.

However the one consolation is that things can change fast. Check this out and see what I mean : Go to this link and look at how fast things changed in Cervinia in October and November last year. You can use the calendar on the left of each page to see the conditions for that date.

One big storm and we are sorted. BTW It's got a few degrees colder here in the last 2 days. Hopefully this trend continues !!
latest report
 brian
brian
Last year...

This year...

Nothing to worry about then Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It actually looks a little better this year!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yea, but the following week was pretty snowy

26 October

27 October

29 October

2 November

And beautiful powder by 12 November
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats quite a conforting selection of pics Diarmuid,

/sigh of relief
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renry, It was last year tho' Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry wrote:
Thats quite a conforting selection of pics Diarmuid,

/sigh of relief

plus like this piccy from the above link

Beautifull
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adam,

I was in Lake Louise on 29th Nov last year. There was complete snow cover across the resort although the lower areas didn't have alot of depth. However they only had about half the area open. At the beginning of the week it was just the front face, by the end they had opened the back bowls, but the Larch wasn't open while I was there.

Sunshine on the other hand. Wow. All open, powder everywhere, just amazing Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahh the time of year has arrived - we should be worried about Bird Flu but we all have PST (Pre Skiing Tension). Got back from the canaries last night and within two hours was looking at skiing websites and brochures. Dr Kramer, - advice please.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adam,

It is snowing in sunshine right now and the cannons are on at Lake Louise. 15.30 BST
latest report
To answer the original question from Buns, the situation currently reigning at Loveland and A-Basin (one run of manmade snow, lots of people), is known locally in Colorado as the "White Ribbon of Death". Strangely, that phrase doesn't crop up in resort marketing literature...
ski holidays
Diarmuid, enjoyed that
ski holidays
I noticed the cannons on at LL...... have to say I thought it would have been too warm for that..... both the making and the lying!

Adam
ski holidays
at last things are looking up
ski holidays
Diarmuid, I hate to say this but we've repeatedly proved that snowforecast are not exactly the most accurate when it comes to snow fall
snow report
D G Orf oh I know. I've been looking at it for 2 years now. However I usuallly find the 3 day to be relatively accurate as to the chance of snow. I don't take much notice of the number of cms.

However , the precipitation map on weatheronline is usually a good indication of any snow on the way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well someone was right as there is a covering at Plan Maison this morning. Where else has it snowed?
latest report
Resorts with summer ski-ing will always open on the appointed day. It's harder for the lower resorts though. If it's warm (as it has been lately) and the cannons can't be used, then clearly the lower runs can't be used. We've had one Xmas where there was snow on the nursery slope, Vallee Blanche and Combe Valentin (cannons) and nothing else till you got the the glacier. I mean NOTHING - not a flake. first snow was 28/12.

Having said that, all resorts will make every effort to open when they say they will, after all, people have booked holidays.

BTW this year I'm full for week beginning 3rd Dec! Shocked First time that's happened. Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy