Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Realistic and meaningful Tranceiver practice here in the UK, any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
I am new to all this tranceiver stuff, I have bought 2 trackers and i'm desperate to have a practice with them but our first trip isn't till the end of January.
I have familiarised myself with the controls and modes in the garden, but its kind of pointless looking for something you can see Confused
Is there any way you can get some fairly realistic and meaningful practice with one back her in the UK. Short of a 150 mile round trip to the seaside with a big spade and fingers crossed for low tide
im not sure if i think of a way to have a go.
Any snowheads any good ideas??

Any good instructional videos on youtube, you can recommend?

Cheers

Phil
Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I offered to run a session in Dunham Park back in Nov/Dec but I only had one taker.

Anyone else interested?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
qwertyuiop7, glad to see you are still hangong around after our ebay airbag discussions, did you get any sort of satisfactory resolution or did you just send the boys round and kick the scrote?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get one of those Nerf type foam footballs with a tail, stuff transmitter in it, lozz it backwards over your head into thick bushes/bracken etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As fatbob, says but to be on the safe side get someone Independant to watch where it lands.... Just incase you can't find it Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I practice with my mate in the park.

We outline an area that slid rolling eyes then one of us hides a transmitter in that area and the other goes to find it. Leaves are good for this. It also works on the moors.

We combine it with dog walks, as we're trying to train a couple of avalanch poodles Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
qwertyuiop7, Where are you in the UK ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
qwertyuiop7, altis, I would be well up for a Cheshire meet , am off on my first intro to touring in three weeks , and need to get some practice in snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
qwertyuiop7, out in the woods or on a heather-covered hillside is pretty useful practise, usually easy to stash it out of sight in that kind of environment.

One other tactic I've used in similar circumstances is to scatter a load of black bags with a bit of sand in them over a wide area. The transceiver is hidden in one bag only, so you don't get much of a visual clue other than the most metre or so (which is an art in itself, of course).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1 wrote:
qwertyuiop7, glad to see you are still hangong around after our ebay airbag discussions, did you get any sort of satisfactory resolution or did you just send the boys round and kick the scrote?

PayPal paid out in full within 7 days of opening a claim, eBay then shut his account. So a good result all round.
Still on the lookout for an airbag but can't make my mind up which one I should get?

Phil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
qwertyuiop7, Where are you in the UK ?

I'm in Crewe, Cheshire, junction 16 M6

Would be well up for a meet in CHeshire somewhere.

Phil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay, I'll suggest Dunham Park, South of Altrincham meeting at 2pm under the clock tower on one of the following dates:

Sat, Jan 12th
Sun, Jan 13th
Sat, Jan 19th
Sun, Jan 20th
Sat, Jan 26th
Sun, Jan 27th

I would do a Doodle but I can't get it to work for me now.

I have a plan and some notes from last time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's transciver parks at Glenmore Lodge, Glencoe and Aonach Mhor, all a long way from Cheshire. You could try Plas-y-Brenin they might have one. Other than that scree slopes or deep leaves.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
qwertyuiop7,i am in nantwich so were neighbours

altis, sunday 20th would work for me ,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bump and grind....

Any more?
ski holidays
altis, my dog could come too

bump Cool
snow report
probably have a mate who would come aloong , but would need a spare transciever ??
snow conditions
I have a few spares if needs be.
latest report
Sadly, I'll be skiing Cool
snow report
altis, that would great , lets see who else comes along and then make some plans

Mosha Marc, shame , cant believe you would give up the chance to delve around in large piles of wet leaves in manchester just to get cold up some random alp wink
snow report
qwertyuiop7 wrote:

Still on the lookout for an airbag but can't make my mind up which one I should get?

Phil

RAS system. Has the edge IMO.
ski holidays
I've started a new thread specifically about the Dunham practice here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96230
ski holidays
If you've already bought two beacons then the hard part is done, just go out with a mate and get creative, you don't always have to bury it
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy