Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing Waterproofs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What do you all wash your waterproof outer layers with? I read a very good topic on the subject but it was an american forum so the products mentioned I've not seen over here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like nikwax tech wash or miele, both can be googled and bought online, I think miele was cheapest but I like to spray the outsides with nikwax waterproofer so it works out better to only pay for postage once. Amazon had a good deal on the nikwax products recently.
I was told that Woolite was fine for washing tech fabrics as it does not leave a residue but you would still want to waterproof afterwards. One word of warning whichever you end up using, don't over stuff your machine!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nunfa1, Just done 3 jackets this week with Nikwax Tech Wash (this is just a cleaning product, not proofing), then the shells went through again with TX Direct (this is the proofer), and then into the tumble dryer for the Gore-Tex one. Water was beading nicely when they came out, so hopefully that's job done.

I've not used this stuff before, so don't have experience beyond that, but my Pacliite is already looking better than when I was wringing it out in soggy Wales, last summer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tech Wash then whatever nikwax proofing is right for the fabric if it needs it. Been using it for years and it just works perfectly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nunfa1, Grangers for me, the wash stuff and the re-proofer as needed, I prefer it to the Nikwax range. I use pure soap flakes sometimes , they are great for really cleaning technical fabrics.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nikwax or Grangers soap here, too, but no proofer.

In theory, any liquid non-bio soap should be fine (no enzymes and no bleach). We are using Ariel/Persil for years and I’m still to find any of my daughter’s jackets leaking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we've just started stocking grangers and we've got both the wash-in and spray waterproofing solutions. good feedback so far on them and we've just done some of our kids' stuff, so i will go and tell them to sit in a puddle over the next few days to test it wink

(edited as i've now added them to the website wink)

oh, and here they are - http://www.funkyrascal.co.uk/search.php?search_query=proofer&x=0&y=0

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-01-13 14:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As said, soap is better than a detergent, but there's not as many easily available washing soaps out there. Detergents strip out the waterproofing/resistant coatings. Boots do some

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-soap-flakes-425g_923904/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nunfa1, Tech Wash works well. If you have re-proofable clothing (i.e. Paramo) you can use normal detergent, and then re-proof. I have Paramo jacket from 1996 that is still waterproof and going strong. Does look a little shabby now, but I don't get wet Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info, very helpful.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I follow the instructions on the inside of the jacket and don't use any specialst products. All seems fine so far.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy