Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aviemore shifts its ambitions from skiing to golf

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Aviemore, the Scottish resort built in the days (mid-1960s) when snow fell deep and predictable, has major ambitions for its new golf facility. The Spey Valley course at Dalfaber, due to open in May 2006, is intended to be one of Scotland's best, with a 'top 5' ranking.

The course has been designed by Dave Thomas, responsible for many new golf courses in the UK, continental Europe, and the rest of the world. Aviemore has suffered a substantial decline in its wintersports business, resulting from over 15 years of unreliable snowfall. A major investor in the resort is Macdonald Hotels, who now operate four of the main hotels.

In the meantime, Aviemore might just surprise itself with a great ski season for a change - meteorologists predict a cold winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing to golf? Beats me.

I know there is a "Fairway" to do it but I myself will have difficulty just to stand straight in the "White Lady".

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 22-10-05 17:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I only ever played one round of golf when I was working up there, on a (frozen) municipal golf course in January at Newtonmore which is 15 miles south of Aviemore. The golfballs bounced rather too much that morning. A surreal experience!

To be out there in the open with the vast panoramas of the Highlands as a backdrop is a very good reason to play a round. The photo above captures the magic quite well. Don't know if the tradition of low-cost golf for the public lives on up there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Golf on a properly frozen golf course is a serious bit of fun..... Very Happy

Adam
snow conditions
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, green fees for visitors are typically £15-£20 I think. There's courses at Newtonmore, Kingussie, Boat, Nethybridge (Abernethy), Carrbridge and Grantown all amid great scenery.

Combine that with the hillwalking, mountain biking, fishing and of course distilleries. It's a great place for a holiday year round.

I know the snow is less reliable now (bit of a stretch to ever really call it predictable though) but it's a damn shame that CML don't seem to want to put the effort into skiing that the likes of Nevis and the Lecht do. Maybe a long snowy winter would kick them into action snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy