Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb half term - likely traffic flows

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking at the holiday calendar and trying to work out where it will get busiest on the journey out to Chatel for February half term (15/16 Feb). Hey, its been a dull day at work!

Looks like the French are on holiday for the whole of the route down (A26, A5, A31, A39, A35 Besancon then through the Jura and over to the Swiss border) and in addition the following will join the route on the way.

At each of the major points on my journey the traffic joining looks like this:

Location Local plus traffic from
Calais UK
Arras UK, some Dutch
Reims UK, Lille some Dutch, some more Dutch
Troyes UK, Lille some Dutch, some more Dutch, Rouen
Dole UK, Lille some Dutch, some more Dutch, Rouen, Orleans
Vevey UK, Lille some Dutch, some more Dutch, Rouen, Orleans, yet more Dutch - the road will look orange by then.

At least no Parisiens or Belgians!

Looks like a busy one. Overnight Friday is booked in Troyes and we will try for an early start on Saturday. I fear the border at Valorbe will be grim - that can add at least 30 minutes. Must look up the detour that we were sent on when the main road was closed for road works a couple of years ago.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David, ugh Sad we are travelling the same day, but we tend to leave home at 8, get the tunnel at 11, pop out into France at 1 local time, and tbh I think we are behind most of the traffic. It is 10 hours without stops so we do not arrive til after midnight, but that's one benefit of having our own place.

One disadvantage is that no shops are open when we arrive so that has to be planned around. On the plus side, the border crossing is deserted - last year we got there just in time to buy a vignette, this year I will get one online.

Friends of ours who rent the neighbouring apartment will travel on Friday and stay in Villeneuve next to Montreux. However they usually 'overtrain' on the Friday night Very Happy so they still don't get there early enough to ski on the Saturday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sanman, We're committed to school on Friday (my daughters A levels coming up) so can't get away before an evening tunnel crossing. Still we've done it before and survived - patience needed I think. I also struggle with the drive all night thing after a day at work and Mrs DJL is asleep as soon as the wheels start turning so no-one to share the driving!

Despite having the apartment we can't get in early as it's rented the week before. Still it pays for our week.

Do you fancy that foray to Torgon/La Chapelle this time? We're also out for the lads' trip 9-16 March.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DJL, Bison Fute is your friend for this http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/en/traffic-forecasts-calendar-r106.html

Fortunately our half term is the week before the main one this year and does not clash with any French Very Happy unfortunately it's now doubtful whether we will take advantage of this or not due the hubby's gammy knee Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Traffic doesn't flow at half term. It just sits there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So, warnings from Eurotunnel, warnings on bison-fute and warnings on Snowheads - can't say I'm looking forward to my drive too much. We've done Friday morning with Troyes stopover before but due to schools etc we're going down to Ashford Friday and then getting the early morning Saturday tunnel. Expecting a normal nightmare Friday on the M1, nightmare in the alps but then 6 lovely snow filled days to make up for it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about Sunday/Sunday? Stay Saturday night somewhere within striking distance, drive up Sunday morning. Then ski the second Saturday (changeover day, nice and quiet on the slopes). Off early Sunday morning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, trouble with Sun/Sun is that you are still doing the bulk of your drive on the Sat. Having said that I think we did that last year as we had a Sun/Sun accomm booked and it actually worked out ok, I think we managed to get 'behind' the worst of the traffic thanks to bad delays at the tunnel! Also you are belting it up all in one day on the Sunday for the return, can be tough if you then have to get oop North too once you've done the crossing. Skiing Saturdays is good though! Swings and roundabouts Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, It's a nice idea and I like skiing on Saturdays as it's always so quiet.

However, our apartment is rented the following week and we have my sister with us who needs to get to Yorkshire on Sunday afternoon.

Roll on next year - no kids at school so no need to ski half term and an extra juicy weeks rental income!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL, we are out 6th to 10th March on the lads trip so let's speak nearer the time. Could well meet up over half term week as I really feel Torgon/La Chapelle is an area I don't know, I probably know my way around Les Gets better, which is silly, and Mrs S will be interested in that too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a sneaky back route to the Valorbe border. Assuming there isnt a load of snow!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=vallorbe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x478db3e8b4d4ec0f:0xb36f2bedd97b8870,Vallorbe,+Switzerland&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=lI7tUN6_GsyY1AXWhYGYBA&ved=0CKIBELYD

If the link works, you take the last left turn out of Jougne (after the bridge) If I remember rightly theres a fountain or war memorial on the junction, and its signposted as "route de la ferriere" or similar.
This drops down into the Valley down to LA Ferriere, then pops back up about 150M before the border
The other time saver is to pre buy your vignette from Swiss tourism or similar.
Hope I dont find myself in a jam of snowheads on the 16th!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
martinperry, I think that's the one. Adds about 10 minutes to the transit time.

Sorry, no, you are wrong. Don't go there! Stick to the main road! Leave it clear!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our half term is the week before that so we are going out to Les Arcs on Fri 8th, with an overnight near Troyes. Bison-Fute seem to think that traffic is going to be "normal" that Sat and coming home the following one, though I assume that "normal" is probably relative. I know that weather can change everything, but what sort of holdups translate as usual these days (its been a while since our last trip in that direction)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy