Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are blades good for anything?

Poster: A snowHead
My 12 yr old son is a pretty good skier and has been dissuaded from going to the dark side (boarding) by pointing out the skills are totally different, would put him back as a beginner, falling over hurts, etc. He has now started that he wants to try blades, just to try something different. As far as I can see blades don't do anything proper skis don't do and seem to result in the user being less in control. So, the question is are they good for anything?
I'm more tempted to persuade him to try telemark or touring.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tell him to man up, and get him on a snowboard.

"Falling over hurts", blimey. He's 12. Nothing hurts when you're 12. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MontriondSkier, he's only 12 - let him try boarding, telemarking, touring, whatever. He'll pick things up quickly and there are some parallels between boarding and skiing when it comes to understanding turn shape and edge engagement but that's probably more technical than a 12 year old wants to get, anyway - so just let him have a go.

Personally, I don't see any benefit to blades for becoming a performance skier. Still, they can be fun for a day - but that will be it. A one-day wonder.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say half a day for blades. They knacker your stance and skills imho, and make skis feel like a real handful afterwards.

I don't think the sH that demo'd them at the BB last year were particularly overwhelmed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MontriondSkier, what are they good for?
Fun, sir, FUN.

A twelve year old is FAR more interested in doing fun things than aquiring some yeasty old telemark skills.

Do try to remember that it is supposed to be fun.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy, quite right 1/2 a day of, what Richard_Sideways rightly reminds us Toofy Grin, fun.

.... but that's it NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa, had Big Foots too (they are a major ROFL in the piste-side fluff - something blades can't usually do)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MontriondSkier, so in your efforts to put him off snowboarding you have turned him gay. Well done.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy, actually Big Feet are my preference too for a half-day ROFL Toofy Grin
Can you still hire them? Haven't seen them since [cringe] the 80's Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FUN? Good grief you'll be telling me it's a holiday next! Very Happy

My son has a smidgen of dyspraxia in him so I am reluctant on anything that may detract from hard won skills. I wonder whether his curiosity will extend to dipping into his pocket money for the hire Puzzled

People who telemark get "respect" and are babe-magnets - at least that's what they say!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-01-13 16:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flowa, I hired them in the late 90's. A sH snowHead owns the Big Foots (Big Feet?), and I just happen to have a 100% equity stake in a pair of Salomon 99's Wink

Agree that Big Feet off piste is a better way to waste an afternoon tumbling in the snow. Underfoot width is something crazy like 100 or 120mm iirc.

Actually one of the guys had a pair of 123's too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MontriondSkier, The nearest skip
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does your son own skis? If you are already hiring hubby swapped his hired ski's for blades for the last day of our holiday one year with no extra charge, he had good fun for that day it hasn't bothered again since.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forget blades, go for freestyle skis. Freestyle has overtaken snowboarding big time in the cool stakes. It's only a few Brits now hanging onto snowboarding. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiing and snowboarding are good for each other as complementary skills, and being able to do both is a great feeling. Gives you much improved awareness of other slope users too.

Blades get a lot of stick, but I've been meaning to have a go for ages.

Just please, keep him away from snowbikes and yooners.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
MontriondSkier, what are they good for?
Fun, sir, FUN.

A twelve year old is FAR more interested in doing fun things than aquiring some yeasty old telemark skills.

Do try to remember that it is supposed to be fun.

http://youtube.com/v/8oUoAFfSYoI
snow report
Blades are fun Madeye-Smiley

In terms of actually having a use, yes when skiing with young children who are learning. Lot easier to get close to them to pick them up, ski backwards to look at them, shuffle close to get them onto a button lift. Mine paid forthemsleves in that respect
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
MontriondSkier, so in your efforts to put him off snowboarding you have turned him gay. Well done.

quote of the year so far
snow report
MontriondSkier wrote:
People who telemark get "respect" and are babe-magnets - at least that's what they say!

Nope, it's the greatest lie in the mountains. Its just not cool, never has been. Whenever anyone says it is, they're just taking the piddle or talking through their ice-and-food hung beards.

Mollerski may be on to something despite his foam-flecked mad-eyed anti-snowboard stance.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Mollerski may be on to something despite his foam-flecked mad-eyed anti-snowboard stance.

My Daughter is currently in Morzine doing her BASI L1/2 snowboarding. Laughing
snow report
he's 12, let him try what he wants FFS.

(but it is worth telling him that the fandan love tele-dudes, oh yes)
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
MontriondSkier wrote:

Nope, it's the greatest lie in the mountains. Its just not cool, never has been. Whenever anyone says it is, they're just taking the piddle or talking through their ice-and-food hung beards.
New quote of the year.
snow report
Blades are fun, why shouldn't he have a go? A lot of adult skiers who are permanently in the back seat would learn a great deal from a day on blades.

But of course he wants to learn to snowboard! Fantastically good idea. As for having to be a beginner again, he's 12 for goodness' sake. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

As for having to be a beginner again, he's 12 for goodness' sake.

My 12 year olds had a 2 hour lesson on Saturday at MK - first time on boards. You wouldn't think so by end of that time Confused Give them another day and they'll be better than me at that as well
snow conditions
show him (and the girls in his class) this
(dirty smelly hippies)

http://youtube.com/v/_RQdbpZ-Nz4

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-01-13 16:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Elston, who put that penguin on snow blades? Seriously. His jacket comes to his ankles.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Forget blades, go for freestyle skis. Freestyle has overtaken snowboarding big time in the cool stakes. It's only a few Brits now hanging onto snowboarding. Madeye-Smiley

What he said.

Get him some twin-tips and let him loose in the terrain park, he'll have much more fun than he would on blades.
snow report
zanarchist, who cares. I'd ski butt naked if flowa would let me Very Happy Very Happy It really doesn't matter. All that matters is that he is enjoying himself.

Quote:
My 12 yr old son is a pretty good skier and has been dissuaded from going to the dark side (boarding) by pointing out the skills are totally different, would put him back as a beginner, falling over hurts, etc.

That's a bit negative but typical for some kids(me included at that age). If he wants to try something new then he will fall. Falling is part of learning and progressing. This is especially true of park skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MontriondSkier, with his dyspraxia does falling over hurt 'more' or is it the confidence knock to starting over again as well as the falling?

Park skiing involves A LOT of falling - far more than learning to board or ski. There are some tricks that are easy to pick up though, like 180's and skiing switch, that don't involve too much falling.

Perhaps having a go at boarding towards the end of the season when there's more slush about would help cushion the falls?
ski holidays
MontriondSkier wrote:
So, the question is are they good for anything?

Spiral fractures of the lower leg.
ski holidays
barry, so basically as I telemark on a snowboard I'm so far past the coolwall I'n in the freezer with the Aston? That may explain why my wee fella is saying it's not coming out till spring rolling eyes
snow report
Gosh - this has ignited some opinions!

flowa, The dyspraxia doesn't hurt; he's just a bit on the clumsy side and skills take a bit longer to learn. Nothing wrong with his self-confidence though - in his head he'll be teaching Tomba to ski moguls next week and spent all last week skiing off-piste (round the back of each tree at the side of the run) Laughing

Guess he'll have a go at blades in Feb - damn, should have kept the baby skis from a few years ago rolling eyes
ski holidays
MontriondSkier, great news. In that case, I revert to my first post and wish him all the best in branching out into new snow skills, whatever they end up being snowHead
ski holidays
Masque, cooler certainly although the teleboard tends to attract a more pluralistic mix of admirers if you get me Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy