Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget weekend trip help!

Poster: A snowHead
The misses has had a couple of ski lessons indoors at mk and actually enjoyed it so much she has finally agreed to a trip to the real mountains!

Only problem is we are on a tight budget this year and not really sure if its possible. So we want 3 or 4 days skiing, preferably flying but coach if necessary, she will need to hire boots and skis and maybe a helmet although we may buy that before we head out, lift passes and couple of lessons for her... For somewhere around the 350-400pp?! Is that doable?

Other possible option is cheap week in Bulgaria but have heard so many mixed views on that I'm not sure what to think and harder work wise to coordinate time off - could possibly get a week in the 500pp realm but that's HB and included her hiring and lessons and ski carriage for me

Help and hints muchly appreciated!

Cheers,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been doing weekend trips for years and am heading to Gerlos this weekend and then Mayrhofen the weekend after (now that was bad planning)and have found them to be anything but budget, the best way to get a budget holiday is to book a week long trip last minute, have a look on www.teletextholidays.co.uk or similar for lots of last minute deals.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you go with a company called www.actionoutdoors.co.uk I know for a fact they have a 4 day break in flaine (France) in march for about 450pp but that would be coach travel. Never been for anything other than week before so can't speak from experience but just noticed when I was looking for a late season trip myself.

That price would include accommodation. (hostel type but can get a twin room) lift pass, equipment hire, lessons and 3 meals a day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowfiend, I agree with JimboS, weekends tend not to be cheap since you don't get the standard 6 day discounts.

The industry is geared up to 7 day trips and the dicounts are based on 6 day skiing. Thus ski hire for 4 days is proportionally more than for a week, similarly lift passes. The major TO are very much geared to week long trips and the big discounts are on their own accommodation - catered chalets or chalet hotels - with chartered flights on a Saturday or Sunday.

I reckon you could get a weeks chalet board in a small resort (cheaper lift pass) which would be fine for your missus well within your budget assuming you are not thinking of travelling in half term or at Easter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BigMacB93 has good advice about the action outdoors weekends.

What about http://www.ski-weekend.co.uk/?gclid=CNmp4Zvj2LQCFebLtAodYikAYw I don't know how cheap they are but they will make it easy to get around the TO 7 day Saturday/Saturday thing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Should be easy enough done. Geneva usually has plenty of cheap flights. Lots of local resorts and great rail links. Find a flight. Pick a resort and find some accommodation b&b 30_40 euro pppn.
We are going to saalbach next month
flying to Munich with easyjet £90(Inc luggage less without and done weekend without extra luggage before)
Accommodation for 4 nights 120 euro
Transfer 75 euro
Lift pass 140 euro (4days)
So around 400 quid.
Also try snowtrex.com some very cheap accommodation and lift pass deals
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey, you should check to see if Flangesax has any space available. Flights to Salzburg and then book Hubertaxi for your transfer (but relatively simple to use Tram/Train if you want to save the pennies). Great ski area and because it's not one of Austria's bigger ski resorts, I think, it's a bit cheaper but you still get the benefits of Austria. His website is www.austrian-adventures.com and no, I'm not on commission, they just offer great hospitality at really good prices.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eeyore, oh blimey, don't say things like that, I keep asking myself whether I can afford just a few days between BB and EoSB. Repeat after me: the answer is NO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mountain sun are cheap as chips.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, Resistance is futile Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowfiend, wait for the window of opportunity and then drive up to Scotland. That's about the cheapest possible.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Yes i had presumed before looking (having never been on anything but a weeks trip before) that a weekend would be cheaper but they do seem out of proportion in price to a week. and if we are spending a 450 odd on 3/4 days by coach i think that maybe if we can get a late deal or cheapo bulgaria trip that might be better.

Had thought about doing it DIY but i'm hopeless at that kind of thing, but with some careful planning and maths i'll look in to it.

Would love to hit Scotland but not sure if the weather/snow is on our side this year?

Hmm so much to think about, maybe i'll pop out and buy a lottery ticket for tonight then problem solved?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are doing a short break to Morzine in a few weeks.
Chalet B&B 45 euros per night 4 nights 180 euros, Thursday to Sunday.
Flight BA from Gatwick £105
Transfer £52
Lift pass 3 days 70 euros
Ski hire 48 euros

Comes out at pretty much bang on £400, no lessons in that though, and we booked everything independently.
Your biggest issue with doing it like this will probably be chalet availability and cheap flights. We booked BA because most of the party are carrying their own boards but if you're hiring everything out there then you might get away with one of the budget airlines.

That's the first time I've added it all up, not sure if it can be considered cheap or not but we struggled to find a better deal, although we only had 1 weekend we could go.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

maybe i'll pop out and buy a lottery ticket for tonight then problem solved?!

How does being £2 worse off solve your problem??? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowfiend, I've just picked up a last minute deal with skiweekends.com.

Leave from one of 4 pickups in the south east early Thursday evening. Coach to Morzine (they do other drops AFAIK) arriving in resort early morning. 2 nights catered chalet, 3 days skiing then leave resort Sunday night for arrival back in Blighty Monday am.

Cost was £319 plus ski carriage and lift pass. Morzine are doing some lift pass deals on the village area of 42 Euro for the weekend. Not bad if you are on a budget.

I dont expect this to be luxury but for a cheap weekend it isnt bad.
snow conditions
Nunfa1 - would you mind sharing some details? Would like to get to the Portes du Soleil on a cheapish short trip in early Feb!
latest report
Harry Flashman wrote:
Nunfa1 - would you mind sharing some details? Would like to get to the Portes du Soleil on a cheapish short trip in early Feb!

Staying here: http://www.easiski.co.uk/

The rest we did ourselves, as I said.
latest report
www.mountainsun.co.uk are well worth a look. I have used them for short and long trips for the last 6 years (no other connection).

Their prices will fit your budget, they are at top resorts and are mostly ski in/ski out locations.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
www.mountainsun.co.uk are well worth a look.

That website seems dead?

Puzzled
ski holidays
If you can get a week off work, £500pp is a very manageable budget for a week skiing depending on when you go. I'm about to book a trip to La Plagne on the week beginning 23rd March for £432pp inc Accom, Paradiski lift pass, Ski & boot hire, flights and transfers,

http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/ filter using 'lift pass included!' option. They usually cost around the same as the lift pass by itself!

Flights: Easyjet Luton -> Geneva

Transfers Bensbus.co.uk

I've used bensbus before, Easyjet charge an arm and a leg (£50 return) for ski carriage but are still cheaper than other airlines overall. 'ski.sunweb.co.uk' has taken over from 'skihorizon.co.uk' which I booked through last year and was very satisfied.
ski holidays
http://www.mountainsunltd.com/
ski holidays
snowfiend, Let us know what time in the season you want to come and we can see if we can put a deal together for you.
Pm us or contact Nina via the website below.
snow report
Some interesting stuff. I am hoping to get a cheeky weekend away with the lads. Just need to tell the wife Smile

My pref would be a Geneva flight. Short plane journey and short transfer. How long is a bus journey to Les Gets or Morzine from London? Sounds painful.
latest report
snowfiend, what about this place http://www.loftbourg.com/

My friend has stayed there and said it was really good. Like a big friendly house and not really very hostel like. Spacious, clean, comfortable and a good big kitchen to cook in.

Flexible check in / check out dates and really very cheap. Appreciate shared accommodation might not be up your street but thought it might be worth a mention. I'm thinking of staying here this year.
snow conditions
snowfiend, I have done a few weekends/ short breaks always on a tight budget, have a look at Lofer it is a small traditional resort with enough to keep you entertained for 3-4 days skiing, the lift passes, hire etc are all cheaper than most resorts I've been to. I can recommend Haus Patricia run by an English couple , it's b&b or they have a couple of apartments, it is immaculate and a short walk to the main lift, they can do the transfers from Salzburg otherwise the taxi service at Salzburg.at are 99 euros return for up to 8 people, we flew stansted and from leaving home to arriving in Lofer was 6 hours!
Haus Patricia will also negotiate a good discount for the hire and lessons. I can thoroughly recommend this as a short break we've been twice and will definately go again!
snow report
Thanks guys. Some serious hunting to be done this weekend! If only the misses didnt need lessons if would work out so much cheaper but suppose she has to start somewhere! Don't suppose completing level 1-4 in milton keynes would be enough for 2-3 days skiing would it??

Not too sure about some of the more hostel like places I know we want cheap but i want the misses to enjoy and feel comfortable especially as its her first time, but will bear it in mind.

Probably looking at march time so got few weeks to wait for the v last min deals.

Thanks for all the leads will follow up with some tinternet searching!
snow report
Quote:

Don't suppose completing level 1-4 in milton keynes would be enough for 2-3 days skiing would it??

If your wife were a daredevil 18 year old with a high pain threshold, no problem. However, you do want her to get hooked on skiing, don't you? Bumbling around a resort you don't know is not the way to do it. You're right to budget for lessons for her. But lessons outside the usual 6 day weekend package group lessons can be quite expensive.

Don't write off the Action Outdoors suggestion of 4 days in Flaine which includes everything, every crumb of food you need, very good lessons - for both of you - equipment and lift passes. I'd also second the suggestion of Mountain Sun. the URL is http://www.mountainsunltd.com/ They do transfers from Geneva. You'd need to book your own flights but that's not rocket science.

An entire week with Action Outdoors would be better and comparatively better value, though. Just make sure the right level ski lessons are available - the UCPA centres don't do every level every week. Their top lessons can be too advanced for many British holiday skiers and obviously you also need complete beginner lessons. With your wife having had a few lessons indoors she'll get on really well in a group.
snow report
I recently travelled with skiweekends to morzine and it came to about £400 including lift pass, accommodation, food, transport. Have a look at their website/facebook group as they often have short notice deals for about £200 for a short break. The coach wasn't half as bad as expected, left london victoria at 5pm, eurotunnel crossing at 8pm, arrived in resort at 7.30am. Time for hotel check in, breakfast, change into ski clothes and off we went. Might be a bit tiring for someone new to skiing though?

I do think for not much more (maybe £500ish) you could get a full week (6 days ski) deal. Skiweekends do also do week holidays. Also look at igluski or rocketski for week deals.

I think on balance a week would be better as a first ski holiday. You get very tired as a learner and by day three you hurt all over. By pushing through this and reaching day 6 means you come out the other side and progress more, and forget the aches/frustration of the first few ski days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to admit I haven't read all the comments to please excuse if I have missed something important.

When I was just 16 (8 years ago) I had this urge to go skiing. I didnt think it would be possible as I had NO money. Then I went on the net and found that you could go to Bulgaria for cheap. I worked in my dads shop and earned enough monies to go there. At the time it cost me £350 all in. That was flight, transfers, hotel HB, ski + boot hire, lift pass and tuition. I took about £100 spending money and when beer (at the time) was 50p and pint and I could get it to the night clud, I was in heaven. Now I know prices have gone up but I still think that it is a very cheap place to go. As you have NEVER been on a skiing holiday before I personally think this would be the best value for money. Yes you will get people saying its not actually that good value because you can get somewhere 5x as good for only 2x the money but at the end of the day, you do have a budget to think about. If you have never been before then you haven't got anything to compare it to so it wont matter. Will you ski? Yes. Will you have fun? Yes. Will it be cheap? Yes. Then the next time you go and you know you like it and can go somewhere else.

Anyway I LOVED my holiday in Bulgaria (Borovets) and I went back there when I was 18 only to bump into some people I met the previous trip. I would even go back there with a friend if it was their first time and didnt want to spend the earth.

Hope this helps.
snow report
Easyjet have got some very cheap flight at the minute. March Liverpool -->> Geneva return for £70pp, dates were 20th - 24th march. Bargain.
ski holidays
Mountain sun has some potential. Just need to find the right deal and flights. Hmm too many decisions!

Bulgaria - yes it does look cheap and it's the wife's first time but not mine. I think the skiing would be ok although heard mixed reviews about the standard of teaching in English which is my concern. But definetly worth considering.
latest report
snowfiend, Mountainsun would be infinitely preferable to Bulgaria.
latest report
Never had any problem with the teaching and spoke good English. Really nice guys actually. Up to you though. If its not your first time then maybe look for somewhere a bit bigger.
latest report
I suspect most Bulgarian instructors speak better English than many French ones. BUT it's the general resort ambiance and worries about the health facilities if you have a crash which would bother me. And those videos of hole in the ground toilets surrounded by piles of frozen poo are not too encouraging either. Better in the depths of a cold January than after a few warm days in March, perhaps? My sister went to Bulgaria with a friend, some years ago, but she wouldn't go again
snow conditions
pam w, yes i know people who have been skiing in Bulgaria and said how cheap it was and it was ok etc and then when you ask them if they would go again they all seem to say no! that is what worries me!

My day off on wednesday will be spent trawling mountain sun... or if the snow continues i'll be off in search of a local hill (well would be cheaper!)!
latest report
snowfiend, Bulgaria (Bansko) is fine if you want a cheap holiday. I've been a couple of time now. Don't let the stuff about outside loo etc etc put you off, its certainly not typical of Bansko. A lot of stuff written about Bansko is a load of rubbish TBH. Someone wrote a pretty good assesment on Bansko on the resorts section recently. If I was on a budget, then i'd definately consider it....

...but, for a short break, I wouldn't bother, its quite a long flight and transfer compared to France/austria and you want to maximise your time on the slopes rather than on a bus. I'd definately try and get the Mountainsun trip to work, I have been with them pre-season 5-6 times now and it works out great.
ski holidays
Friends of mine use Skiweekends annually to Bride Le Bains for a 3 day ski break in 3V. Cheap and they go by coach but you can fly with them also.
ski holidays
joydivision, thanks for the advice - if we did Bulgaria it would be a week trip, but think I'll try and find a short trip on mountain sun first as sure we could grab a late deal to Bulgaria if needs must!

billb, I've added up a few ideas on skiweekends and I don't think they do work out that cheap by the time you factor in two lift passes and lessons for the wife, and food, and still going by coach!!
ski holidays
Don't forget the cost of food, etc when you get there. France scores for cheap travel but in my experience costs in resort are astronomical. I have been for short trips to Austria by booking everything independently. Food and beer is reasonable and the resorts are friendly. Easyjet to Munich is a good option, there are good trains to Innsbruck and on to e.g Ski welt (Westendorf is good for beginner) but there are lots of resorts around there with reasonable costs for very good facilities. for accomodation try the local tourist boards, they list local B&B places which don't appear on any package deals, e.g. www.kitzbuehel-alpen.com/en/vermieter/packages . similar sites exist for other areas/villages. If you go late season lift passes and accom are cheaper and some of the tourist offices do discount packages. You take a slight risk that conditions will be poor but the Austrians are brilliant at maintaining good piste snow, I guess you are not looking for neck deep powder Smile We were in Skiwelt in late March 2 years ago when snow was very poor generally, but had a great time, all the main resort was open and in good condition, we skied in t shirts and wall to wall sun, not such a hardship!
snow report
Try www.skiweekender.com They do good value short trips to La Clusaz. About £350 for three night catered midweek with transfers and the lift pass.

Have not used them but heard good things
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy