Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC Road Trip - Trip Report (Now Updated - More Powder Pics!)

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a 9 day fantastic Very Happy epic road trip to British Columbia (with Mrs MA, Bergmeister and Mrs B). Snow conditions were absolutely fantastic (powder and packed powder) - although the weather was a bit mixed - and we had the time of our lives. Despite it being New Year week, the resorts weren't too busy - and in some cases the runs were completely deserted.

The trip went as follows:

Day 1: Silver Star.
Day 2: Sun Peaks.
Day 3: Revelstoke.
Days 4-6: Mustang Powder Catskiing.
Day 7 :Silver Star.
Day 8: Big White.
Day 9: Crystal Mountain (3 hour session before we flew home).

The highlight - and most probably the best days on snow that Mrs MA and I have ever had - was the catskiing, which was simply out of this world, with boot to waist deep powder on every run and 24 skiers in an area of 90 sq miles!

We're gutted to be home and back at work..... Sad

Anyway, here are some photos Smile:

Loads of snow (Sun Peaks):

Empty slopes at Silver Star:

Siver Star by night:

Night skiing at Silver Star:

Powder at Sun Peaks:

Mustang Powder - Catskiing Wilderness Lodge (40km up a forest track):

Inside the lodge:

The guide surveys the route ahead:

....and we're off:

Ready for another run:

....and it's epic:

A picture paints a thousand words:

Unlimited fresh tracks:

Back to reality - on piste at Big White:

Big White by night:

SEE LATER FOR MORE PICS! Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-01-13 23:51; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jawdropping.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we need a 'big green-eyed monster' smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fabulous.

Love the night skiing at Silver Star shot.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow. Looks amazing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing
The only one of those I have skied is Crystal, which I thought was great. Will have to tick a few more off...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
The only one of those I have skied is Crystal, which I thought was great
Despite the tiny vertical (200m!), we loved Crystal - a perfect little area for a morning's ski before we flew home. It was virtually deserted with fresh snow conditions. Cheap lift ticket too and only about 25 mins from Kelowna.

Residents of western Canada are definitely spoilt - a local that we spoke to on the catskiing expressed complete shock that we were even considering a visit to Crystal and said "Credit to ya but as long as you don't mind skiing $hi! snow you won't be disappointed.' Similarly, after an epic day (fantastic snow) at Norquay some years ago, locals skiing at Kicking Horse told us that they would never consider skiing at Norquay because of its shocking snow.

Having seen their signs warning of 'Marginal conditions' - which typically means an odd twig popping up through the snow, they obviously have no comprehension of the meaning of hardpack, ice, dryslopes, indoor fridges.....or a 600 mile round trip to ski strips of snow and heather hop in Scotland! Mind we'd probably be the same if great snow was all we knew. C'est la vie eh?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict,

Norquay does get really bad snow conditions; icy and hardpack are pretty well known. I guess the point is if Norquay has good conditions then the other resorts, Sunshine and LL, will have really epic powder and much more terrain. On a big powder weekend day you can still be skiing fresh tracks well into the afternoon at Sunshine; that wouldn't be the case at norquay when the race club skiers will have skied it all out before 10:30.

Your trip sounds fab!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, Great pics thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great trip part of which I hope to replicate at the end of March. How was getting around from resort to resort road/travel wise?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh so very very envious of that trip! Great photos & looks AMAZING Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just amazing!

It will be be great if you could share a few words regarding travel/accommodation/ski passes and general costs arrangements.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, different Crystal - I was thinking of the one near Seattle. will have to check out the one you went to
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic pictures, I'm drooling!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, Great trip, brings back memories - Big White and Silver Star just as I remember. Never made it to sun Peaks - maybe next roadtrip Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom W (et al): More than happy to share some further info, as requested:

Travel: We flew with BA/Air Canada from Newcastle>Heathrow>Calgary>Kelowna. It was just about 24 hours from leaving home in Stockton On Tees to our first hotel in Vernon, which was about 25 mins drive from Kelowna airport. A long haul but worth it.

Car hire from Kelowna was arranged by Bergmeister. Despite telephone and e mail requests to the booking agent (Holiday Autos I think) and hire company (Avis) we arrived to find no record of the request and a car without snow tyres. We explained/complained and were upgraded (free of charge) to a bigger car, with snow tyres - although we still had to pay extra for the tyres. Just as well that we got the snow tyres. We covered about 1100km on the road trip and some parts would have been impassable without the said tyres - we had the lot in terms of road conditions, from fresh snow, drifting snow, hardpack, sheet ice and black ice. Most of our driving was done in the dark, either before or after skiing. So, in general - and only to be expected given the scale of the Canadian wilderness - the roads were very dark and at times a bit hairy - there are no cats' eyes and hardly any streetlights; the road surface is so dirty that the white lines in the centre and edges are invisible; sharp bends can be unmarked; dual carriageways suddenly became single carriageway without warning (arrows are marked on the road but you couldn't see them) and vice-versa; and (of course) you are driving for hundreds of km passing nothing but wilderness and the odd hamlet/petrol station. All very different to the UK. Petol was about $1.23 (80p) a litre.

In summary, we found eating out costs to be very reasonable, petrol cheap and lift tickets very expensive. Here are the details:

Accommodation: Given the expensive cat skiing element of the trip, the difficulty of getting New Year week accommodation in ski resorts for an odd night or two and the expensive lift passes (see below), we stayed in (mainly) chain motels (eg Super8) in valley towns. We stayed at Vernon (2 nights), Kelowna, Kamloops, Salmon Arm and Revelstoke, plus 3 nights in Mustang Powder's catskiing lodge. The hotels were all basic (but clean and comfortable) and good value at around $100/room/night (£64) - plus 10% cashback at Hotels.com via the Quidco website wink . All of the hotels we booked included breakfast, which was usually cereal, toast, bagels etc.

Food/nights out: Some of the hotels were in locations where there wasn't much there in terms of nights out. However, we were just after food and a couple of drinks so still managed a fair range of eating places (eg Mexican,Thai, Italian plus the usual North American stuff) and prices were very reasonable - pizzas/burgers/most main courses at around $12 -$14 (£7.75-£9) .

Cheapest draft beer came in at around $4.50 (under £3 a pint and bottles were $4-5. Wine was about $5 a glass and $25-plus for a bottle.Takeway stuff (from the liquor store) was really expensive - wine from about $18 a bottle and cans at $2-3 each. Supermarkets were also really expensive (they must be on big wages over there) - with the stuff we were after (chocolate, biscuits, snacks) at more than double the UK cost. They have local versions of Cadbury's chocolate - and at Silver Star we saw a Flake for the equivalent of £3 Shocked....

On the mountain, we were having stuff like soup at $4-6 a time (£2.60 - £3.90), chilli at $8 (£5.50) and nachos (single serving but enough for 4 people) at $17 (£11).

Lift Passes: Very expensive. As we were road tripping, we were buying day tickets. Our cheapest was for Crystal Mountain, which is Kelowna's local (ie tiny) ski hill at about $50 (£32) a day. Otherwise we were paying about $85 (£55) a day - with the dearest ticket being a whopping $90 (£57) (if I recall correctly) for day and night skiing at Big White. In terms of snow quality, it was well worth the money and we had an absolutely brilliant time - but it does make you wonder how it is so expensive when the ski areas generally have only 3 or 4 lifts. I suppose it's what the local market will support - they must be raking in zillions in profits though.

I hope that helps Smile .
snow report
Quote:

I suppose it's what the local market will support

I suspect very few locals pay these prices. They would either be season pass holders, discount card holders or buy tickets from Costco.

Anyway sounds like a FAB (and exhausting) trip.

Echo what you say about driving for anyone plannng a trip like this, be prepared for bad conditions and drving in the middle of nowhere
snow conditions
Great report, and nice photos! Cat skiing looked incredible. I've heard it called "poor mans heliskiing" but I suspect it's more than enough skiing for me in a day, and I doubt it's for poor people.

Agree with gryphea, no locals pay full price for a lift ticket. Locals have deals, but visitors can often get a discount either by pre-booking or buying via the accommodation provider. I once ended up at Whistler for a couple of days without any means of getting a cheap ticket (forgot to drop by the 7-11 in Squamish on the way up) and the person at the ticket office was amazed I was paying full price, she kept asking things like "are you sure your hotel can't get you this" (nope, I sleeping on a friends floor).
latest report
mountainaddict, Many thanks. Great info. I guess I could only cope with those driving conditions in daylight Wink
snow report
look amazing, great pics, we are heading out to big white in march and can't wait, we were really shocked at the price of ski hire and lift passes, but are we are happy to stomach it for our first ever trip to canada to see what the fuss is all about! its been a dream of ours since my husband learnt to ski 5 years ago..........
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:

Car hire from Kelowna was arranged by Bergmeister. Despite telephone and e mail requests to the booking agent (Holiday Autos I think) and hire company (Avis) we arrived to find no record of the request and a car without snow tyres. We explained/complained and were upgraded (free of charge) to a bigger car, with snow tyres - although we still had to pay extra for the tyres. Just as well that we got the snow tyres. We covered about 1100km on the road trip and some parts would have been impassable without the said tyres - we had the lot in terms of road conditions, from fresh snow, drifting snow, hardpack, sheet ice and black ice. Most of our driving was done in the dark, either before or after skiing. So, in general - and only to be expected given the scale of the Canadian wilderness - the roads were very dark and at times a bit hairy - there are no cats' eyes and hardly any streetlights; the road surface is so dirty that the white lines in the centre and edges are invisible; sharp bends can be unmarked; dual carriageways suddenly became single carriageway without warning (arrows are marked on the road but you couldn't see them) and vice-versa; and (of course) you are driving for hundreds of km passing nothing but wilderness and the odd hamlet/petrol station. All very different to the UK. Petol was about $1.23 (80p) a litre. On the mountain, we were having stuff like soup at $4-6 a time (£2.60 - £3.90), chilli at $8 (£5.50) and nachos (single serving but enough for 4 people) at $17 (£11) .

The same thing happened to me at Kelowna airport when I rented a car with snow tires (Enterprise). They claimed to know nothing about the booking of a 4x4 with snow tires despite me making it and having the bit of paper with me. Had to hang around for a while until one turned up, which as for you, I was glad I did.

Also did the same-ish route (up to Revelstoke at least), and was also enjoying how little you can see of the road with token N.American headlights and the bits on the trans-canada highway where it suddenly goes to one lane each way over a bridge and a giant logging truck comes the other way! Shocked

My F150 has a 136litre tank with (allegedly!) a 1200km range - you need this to get between petrol stations! wink
ski holidays
Quote:
Agree with gryphea, no locals pay full price for a lift ticket. Locals have deals, but visitors can often get a discount either by pre-booking or buying via the accommodation provider
We got discount tickets at Silver Star at a sports shop on the way up the hill - and could also have had discount tickets at our Revelstoke hotel (but were off to Silver Star the next day).

cbowls30 On this subject, a friend of a friend in Canada advised that there are cheaper tickets to be had for Big White via sports/ski shops in the Kelowna area. Will look up the email containing the sports shop names in case that's of any use to you. (And will edit this post when I have done so.)

Quote:
Was also enjoying how little you can see of the road with token N.American headlights and the bits on the trans-canada highway where it suddenly goes to one lane each way over a bridge and a giant logging truck comes the other way!
That rings a bell! The headlights kept getting filthy from all the muck on the roads - candles in jam jars at times. And the size of the trucks is a bit un-nerving on100kph dual carriageway sections - with only the (invisble) white line separating you from the oncoming juggernauts.... Confused

Quote:
I've heard it called "poor mans heliskiing" but I suspect it's more than enough skiing for me in a day, and I doubt it's for poor people.
We only did it as a treat for 3 of us having had a special wink birthday. Wilderness lodge stays start at around $700/day (+ 12% tax Confused ) but day tours can be had for (from)$375-400 (eg K3 Catskiing in BC)....Not something we can repeat every year but absolutely fantastic as a one-off treat! With Mustang Powder we were skiing up to 15,000ft vertical per day - which (in waist deep powder) was just about enough Very Happy. It's a completely unbelievable experience to be in a total wilderness area (24 skiers in 90 sq miles at Mustang Powder) and have fresh tracks guaranteed every run - it really was a dream come true (and worth every penny).
snow report
Most locals buy a season ticket in June it that time its the same price as 8.5 days of day ticket . If you take that with you to another resort and show the pass at the ticket office you 25% off the price of a day ticket at other BC (not Whistler)/ Washington state ski resorts.
ski holidays
stuarth,
Quote:

My F150

I thought you lived in BC and you're going all alberdan on us!
latest report
Quote:
I thought you lived in BC and you're going all alberdan on us!
Please explain! I'm intrigued Puzzled .....
snow conditions
mountainaddict,

F150 is a pick up truck. They are all over Calgary but whenever I go to Vancouver I notice the cars size down a little, not quite to European standards , but still they aren't generally the huge thigs all over calgary.

Albertans think of those in BC as joint smoking hippies. BCers I think think of those in Alberta as right wing, pick up driving oil guxxling rednecks. Of course the truth is somewhere in between.
latest report
gryphea wrote:
mountainaddict,

F150 is a pick up truck. They are all over Calgary but whenever I go to Vancouver I notice the cars size down a little, not quite to European standards , but still they aren't generally the huge thigs all over calgary.

Albertans think of those in BC as joint smoking hippies. BCers I think think of those in Alberta as right wing, pick up driving oil guxxling rednecks. Of course the truth is somewhere in between.

Got to have something to move my ski and jacket collection snowHead
I have the Ecoboost so I can still almost consider myself a free thinking BC Liberal (well not as in the Liberal party who are more conservative) - can probably get 20mpg if I try really hard, that's not bad is it?! wink I missed out on the beer fridge and gun rack options, though my satelite radio can tune to at least 500 channels of country music Toofy Grin

Besides we have a pipeline here too wink
latest report
stuarth, Cool. Always thought that if I ended up in Kanadia or Merika long term I'd have a double cab F150 or Tundra as my redneckmobile. Getting a camper topper?
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Getting a camper topper?

Probably not Cool
I was checking out the accessory brochure the other day though to find all the things you had never imagined you could get for a truck and I can get a made to measure airbed for the box. Haven't quite managed to find one of those top-gear style tailgate bbqs yet though
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Albertans think of those in BC as joint smoking hippies...
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy When we parked outside our Revelstoke motel last week, we were greeted by a near-knockout smell of marijuana from 3 fellow residents who were sitting outside their room downing cans of beer. Our two wives were horrified, thinking we'd checked into a drugs den Skullie.....

Obviously they must all have been from BC Toofy Grin.
snow conditions
mountainaddict,

Yuo

we were in near whiteout a fernie at the weekend and certain smell drifted over from 3 boarders we couldn't even see.

stuarth,

See if you were alberdan you would have got the accessory cowboy hat rack
snow conditions
mountainaddict, good report and great photo's Cool

For my own benefit, what sort of budget would I be looking at for two people to do that trip please?
latest report
Mosha Marc: It was one of our once-every-few-years 'big holidays' - as opposed to our usual easyjet/DIY Alpine afffairs. In fact it's ended up (by some way) as our most expensive hol ever. Now we're back, and have just received the credit card bill for lift passes etc, it has come in more or less in accordance with our pre-holiday calculation of just under £3k per person, all in, for 10 days away (ie flights, car hire, hotels, 6 days 'normal' skiing, 3 days catskiing, food and drink).

Must admit, we booked it all piecemeal and the cost just sort of added up Shocked (much to Mrs MA's delight Confused). So it ended up expensive but was worth every penny for the trip of a lifetime. It was also well worth the sacrifice of a week's UK camping/mountain biking in the summer (we had a great time - the weather was dry:) ) and cutting down on stuff like weekends away and meals out.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, sounds like a hell of a trip. Was interested to hear the costs and at £3k (not that i have that sort of dosh lying around) sounds like money well sepnt for the experience Very Happy

Those BCers love their weed, when we were in Fernie our pal (a local) had to help a young lady up the T bar - she was so stoned she couldn't stand up. I am of course assuming she was from BC wink
snow report
Quote:
at £3k (not that i have that sort of dosh lying around) sounds like money well spent for the experience
If we had it lying around we'd be there every ski trip Confused!! Yes, definitely worth it though!

Anyway, just got hold of Bergmeister's photos of the trip. Here are a few more of the amazing Mustang Powder Catskiing experience:

latest report
that looks great - can't wait for my trip to BC in March
snow report
Quote:
Can't wait for my trip to BC in March
Where are you off to Arno?
ski holidays
Vancouver to see the inlaws but have a sneaky trip to the Tantalus Range with this lot http://altusmountainguides.com/ski/ski-mountaineering/tantalus-3/ which I am quite excited about Cool
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Tom W (et al): I suppose it's what the local market will support - they must be raking in zillions in profits though .
- When i was in Silver Star last season I was speaking to an instructor on the lift and he said that just over half of the price of a lift ticket is for insurance purposes! They prob arent making as much as we think. Thats what happens in country with a crazy legal system!!

Great pics - I LOVE skiing in Canada, by far the best country I have skied in. Best snow, consistant temps and great terrain.
snow report
Arno wrote:
Vancouver to see the inlaws but have a sneaky trip to the Tantalus Range with this lot http://altusmountainguides.com/ski/ski-mountaineering/tantalus-3/ which I am quite excited about Cool

Can see why , heard really good things about this location , enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

When i was in Silver Star last season I was speaking to an instructor on the lift and he said that just over half of the price of a lift ticket is for insurance purposes! They prob arent making as much as we think. Thats what happens in country with a crazy legal system!!

I'm really surprised about this as Canada certainly doesn't have a crazy legal system. its much more like UK than US. Also given that there is an NHS style health care there is nowhere near the driver to sue like there is in US
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy