Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowbird, Utah or Niseko, Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm coming very close to having to decide which powder trip I go on this year, so I'm after some general advice. The choices are either the Snowbird area of Utah for a week at the start of February, with some Warren Smith tuition thrown in for five days. The tuition could be useful as I've had some powder skiing experience, but not bucketloads. The other choice is Niseko, Japan in mid February, to the end of the month, with a weeks guided skiing. It's possibly going to be my last powder ski trip with my Dad as he's developing back problems and hasn't skied Niseko yet, and we want it to be a memorable one.

Now my main questions are:

I'm assuming that Niseko would have the better snow at this time of year, but finding historical snow conditions for Japan is near impossible? I've had the last four years of relatively poor snow conditions for where I've been, and really want to have a full on powder trip this year. Is Utah likely to have relatively similar conditions at this time of year?
I'm an advanced level skier on piste, and intermediate off piste, and realise that I should do a few lessons to get my technique up to scratch so in that respect Utah would possibly be the better choice. What do you lot think? Would the five days inclusive, intensive tuition in Utah be too much?

The cost is almost indifferent between the two.

What would you guys choose in my situation?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chrisssyg, Have been to Utah the past three years and heading there again this Feb. Last year I had a day of bluesky at Snowbird which is the first time I've seen the resort all others have been snow, and lots of it Toofy Grin Usually go mid Feb, but ended up late March last year.

SWMBO doesnt fancy Japan, but shes happy with Utah, as to 5 days intensive tuition only you I think will know that.

Plenty of folk here have been to Japan and it looks amazing, as do the Cottonwoods when they have snowfalls. When the storms blow in they can be epic. Its always a gamble for snow or not and ultimately the decision under the circumstances maybe difficult. Go where your heart and Dad wants really.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Utah twice and have yet to experience the "greatest snow on earth". No-one ever seems to say Japan has been poor although I met some aussies once who admitted it had been fairly crap at Xmas/New Year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deffo Niseko - been to both & would always chose Japan over the US: not just for the skiing, but the fantastic culture/people/food etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done both. Cool

Japan with Wozza and Snowbird with Epic. I was lucky to get good snow in both places for the whole time I was there.

I'd be really hard pressed to choose between the two. Japan probably shades it on the snow, Utah may get the nod on terrain.

Flip a coin??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guys, sorry I haven't replied. Thank you all for your useful info, we've decided to go ahead and book the Niseko holiday! I'm heading out to the PDS next weekend, going to have a few hours coaching to make sure my technique is ready for all this *fingers crossed* great powder we're going to have. Can't wait to get out there!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mate who lives in SLC has just decamped to Niseko for the rest of the season as it's been an un-outstanding season in Utah so far. If pow's your aim there's no comparison, although Utah terrain is far superior.

If it was my coin I'd go back to Hokkaido in a heartbeat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's the exact sort of thing I love to hear having just booked, thank you. I didn't realise Utah was having a poor snow year thus far. I probably should have stated it better, but yes, it's a pow trip we're after! Turns out the Utah trip was going to be £300 more per person than Japan when booking this late, so that made the decision a bit easier! Going to be quite skint for a month or two now though, haha.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chrisssyg, you going with Nick Parks fo mountain tracks? If so, so am I! See you both there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chrisssyg, you going with Nick Parks fo mountain tracks? If so, so am I! See you both there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chrisssyg, fingers crossed you'll get great snow...if so you'll have a blast. If you haven't already stumbled across it, it's worth taking a look at the Niseko thread for mouth-watering pictures and extremely useful advice from people who are there/have been there a bit:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2199029&highlight=#2199029
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope you get the snow you're looking for - we went to Niseko in Feb 3yrs ago and had 2 amazing days before some freak warm weather came in and melted everything Shocked The 2 days were fantastic though - lifts are ancient but once youre up there it's great.

Make sure you find the funky little bar behind the fridge door! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kingswood, Welcome to snowHead Gyu bar is awesome!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good choice on Japan. read an article yest saying that snow conditions in Utah and Colorado have been rubbish this year - like last year. Dont know what is happening in that part of the world. They arent having much luck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BMG, Re - Utah, they arent the best yet, but the 2 feet of fresh stuff last weekend helped.

More on the way hopefully before we get there - fingers crossed - we've had great snow every time we have been Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Another vote for Japan. I havent been to Utah but I'm pricing it for this year and one thing I have to disagree with is the cost comparison. Japan is significantly cheaper than Utah. Lift passes are half the price and you get extensive night skiing in Niseko. The luxury accommodation in Niseko is roughly the same price as US but once you start looking at the other Japanese resorts you'll find that accommodation is much cheaper. Food in Japan is amazing and cheap and the snow is always good there. Niseko is low and temperatures are relatively mild but because of Hokkaido's geographical location the cold Siberian winds pick up water from the warmer Japan Sea and dump on the mountains almost on a daily basis. You would have to be very unlucky not to get awesome snow. I'm from Australia and every year we plan a family ski trip around the Xmas New Year period - usually we end up in Europe or Japan. I'm keen to try Utah or Colorado this year but its looking to be prohibitively expensive compared to both Europe and Japan.

Have a great time in Niseko!
snow report
Utah WAS having a crap year...

http://www.skiutah.com/winter/blog/authors/matt/snowbasin-never-been-deeper

dateline: 29 January 2013
snow conditions
just left Niseko two days ago and the snow was by local stnadards very poor but we had a hoot, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151432463443735.535491.112386753734&type=1

personally getting a guide would ensure great snow and the resort itself is very charming and as an experience would be a million times better than Utah, no comparison at all NISEKO !!!!!!
snow report
Quote:

I've been to Utah twice and have yet to experience the "greatest snow on earth".

Quote:
Last year I had a day of bluesky at Snowbird which is the first time I've seen the resort all others have been snow, and lots of it

In Jan 2009 Mrs MA and I had 7 days of wall to wall sun and relatively high temperatures in Utah. We skied Park City, The Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta and Snowbird. Sadly, not a single powder turn to be had. Still had a good week though - oh and it dumped the day after we came home.... Confused
snow report
I just came back from 8 days in Niseko. We had a great time; and there was masses of snow. But by local standards, the snow was not good, and indeed as I stepped out of the chalet door at 4am to hop in a cab to the airport, the fresh powder snow went half-way up my calves!! Grrrrr - just as I was leaving. I would also say that the ranges of slopes is limited, as the ski area is a volcano, and so the gradient variation is very limited.

If I lived in Australia, I would go again, but I'm not sure it's worth the schlep from the UK. Plus there is little sun, and no sitting outside in sunglasses on a terrace!
latest report
That's a shame PeDaSp.

Very untypical weather in the Niseko Resort Area so far this February.

Plenty of snow as you said - 111 cm in the first 10 days - but the wind killed a couple of the days.

Excellent waist deep powder days the end of last week though snowHead
snow report
This is an interesting thread... I have been debating Utah or Japan next year. A few questions for the knowledgeable:

1] we usually go for a long trip at Easter [Whistler the last few years]. Are Japan or Utah suitable destinations at that time of year? If not, it would be Christmas/New Year, so the same question.

2] I was surprised at the bit above about Japan being a lower cost destination than Utah [other than flights....]. Is that generally the case?

3] My 9 year old son loves off piste, although he is not the greatest at deep powder. Presumably Japan is not all about waist deep powder, there is enough exciting pistes, tree runs, whatever?

thx

greg
snow conditions
I'm partial to Utah...plenty of powder.

If you shop on Craig's List, you can get cheaper passes. Easter falls later next year, and depending on snow, counting on good snow (powder) has long odds.

This Easter is early, that would have been perfect...
ski holidays
wittenham wrote:
This is an interesting thread... I have been debating Utah or Japan next year. A few questions for the knowledgeable:

1] we usually go for a long trip at Easter [Whistler the last few years]. Are Japan or Utah suitable destinations at that time of year? If not, it would be Christmas/New Year, so the same question.

Yes to both time frames and both destinations.

e.g.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75152

Quote:
2] I was surprised at the bit above about Japan being a lower cost destination than Utah [other than flights....]. Is that generally the case?

Definitely for lift passes. Food comparable prices.

Quote:
3] My 9 year old son loves off piste, although he is not the greatest at deep powder. Presumably Japan is not all about waist deep powder, there is enough exciting pistes, tree runs, whatever?

thx

greg

Yep. Hokkaido is the best place to learn to ski deep pow IMHO.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

Thanks Mike Pow, any view on accommodation costs between the two places?

greg
latest report
Accommodation options to suit all budgets in both locations, but you'd be hard pressed to do it cheaper than this

Jonny Richards' blog from Hokkaido for Fall Line magazine

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/blogs/jonnyrichards/japan-on-a-shoestring
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy