Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski race on bank of River Rhine expects 350,000 spectators

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's this weekend in Dusseldorf - an annual cross-country ski sprint held on an artificial snow track on the side of the Rhine. This is what it looks like (a photo from the event a few years back):

Photo credit: Hotel Haus Hillesheim

And here's a report on this weekend's event, from Eurosport.

Anyone had the chance to see this superb race?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just switched it on , winter must be on the way snowHead Eurosport 2
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very strange watching it on TV - a ski race with people doing their weekly shopping walking past!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How does outside skiing on artificial snow in non-freezing conditions square with your environmental beliefs, David?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheeky question. This is an impartial news-scribbling excercise. If I restricted coverage to organic vegetables there would be complaints.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Where do they get the snow from?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, I don't think so. You did say the race was "superb". That's a subjective (non-impartial) description, which implies approval, and seems to be in conflict with what I had thought were your environmental beliefs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick, the race is "superb" in terms of the numbers attracted to it and the general enthusiasm for skiing it reflects. It's not a comment on the snow.

If I were to say that the London Marathon is 'superb' it would - likewise - be a comment on the public participation and spirit of sport it evokes. It wouldn't be a comment on the tarmac and York stone paving involved.

Does that get me out of your man-trap?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, I had not realised you felt the London Marathon had similar environmental impact, and so could be compared in this discussion. Bearing in mind your enthusiasm for SCGB members to ride bikes, I was a little surprised to see you describe a race on artificial snow in Dusseldorf ([curl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0187]today's temperature[/url] 17degC) as "superb". Perhaps you have lower environmental expectations of snowheads Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick, please be fair. I said that the "superb" adjective could be applied to either the Dusseldorf sprint or London Marathon, because they are both great urban sports events.

The Respect the Mountain campaign isn't one of mine(!), and I've not "enthused SCGB members to ride bikes." Please!

I you want to read a really excellent unbiased review of the science of global warming, essentially within the US scientific community, and the context of research vis-a-vis the energy industry, have a look at this:
http://www.nrdc.org/news/newsDetails.asp?nID=1895
just published today.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think one can get into interesting situations by describing something as superb - and then having to backtrack and be selective. To take an extreme, was Triumph of the Will superb? In some ways (eg dramatic camera angles)yes. But one would hesitate to say so, overall.

Anyway, this is getting a bit heavy for a light-hearted forum. Sorry about that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a fantastic photo though!. Could we not organise to do a similiar event in London on the banks of the Thames in Decemeber each year?. I think it would be a sell out. Someone have a whisper with Ken snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy