Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reberty New Year 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick trip report for anyone looking at going to Reberty in the future.

This is just for basic information and ball park costs, given it was New year the accommodation and Ski hire will be more than usual.

I went out on the 29th December for a week, I booked the flights early, and went on easy jet, I did not need any special luggage as I rented all equipment in resort. the cost for flights was £1850 for 3 adults and 3 children, which seemed reasonable, given the peak nature of the week. I hired a people carrier through Expedia at a cost of £530 ( Swiss side) which worked out the same as transfers, but with the advantage of having a car in resort. I followed the sat nav, which decided the toll ( 15 euros each way) roads was the preferred route, and it was an easy journey, with a stop off in Moutiers at the Carrefour, which is Junction 40.
The drive up the hill was easy enough as the car was fitted with winter tyres at no extra cost, and had no need for the supplied chains. I was staying in the Chalets Du Soleil at reberty 2000
http://www.chaletsdusoleil.com/, the apartment was a 6/8 sleeper and was Euro 2565 for the week and included underground parking and all linen. The apartment was a good size for 6 people, with 2 double bedrooms and a good sized bunk room with a window. The kitchen had all facilities and a large table for 8. The apartments are next to the Hotel Kaya, which acts as the reception when the actual reception is closed. The chalet came with a bag of wood for the open fire.

The ski hire shop was Twinner sport and is next door to the Hotel Kaya, if you book in advance the skis are reduced by 45%, I paid 350 Euro for 2 adult premium packs and 2 sets of kids skis with helmets, which seemed a fair price. The clothes, gloves and goggles were all slightly cheaper than high street and were subject to a further 20 discount as residents.

We decided to use Snowbow for children's lessons, as i had previously heard good things about them and they offered 4 hour lessons meaning we could get some skiing in without always looking at our watches. The ski school is 4 bends down the hill, and as such the car was useful at the beginning of the week. The children were dropped off at 9.15 and collected at 1.15.
Snowbow seemed very relaxed and was a little concerned that the children were not learning at first, this improved by day three and the children were all skiing in the afternoon on blues in control. This from not skiing previously, so progress was being made. The cost of the lessons was 265 Euro per child for the 6 days with a local pass on top meant over 400 euros each which is not the cheapest, but the level of skiing achieved by the end of the week was excellent, so maybe worth the money. The ESF lessons seemed more rigid and less slalom and speed skiing.

There is a Sherpa on the bend at Reberty 1850, the cost was fair, almost to the point the need to stop at Moutiers was not a big saving, with the rotisserie chickens at 10 Euro each a cheap way to feed the children of an evening. Wine was 5 Euro up to 40 a bottle and local Champagne, was 12 Euros a bottle. The shop operates French lunch breaks so is shut for 3 hours in the afternoon.

Reberty is a 15 minute bus journey, or a 5 minute ski in to Les Menuires where a number of bars and restaurants are configured round the beginners slopes. We stayed in Reberty of an evening, and used La Ferme for beer and one evening meal. It is a very pleasant place, food was always excellent, 12 Euros for the daily special, or about the same for the standard mountain lunch of carbonara/ bolognese etc. Beer was 6 Euro a pint, Vin Chauds were 3 Euros.
We had dinner here, 3 adults and 3 children including drinks the bill was 180 Euros, and everything was excellent.

Once the children had a couple of lessons it was possible to ski to ski school which made life easier, and once dropped off we could then ski down to the Sunny express, or the Roc des Marches and get 4 hours skiing in. We bought 3 valley passes, but realistically we should have stuck with St Martin Passes, which gave a pretty big skiing area.

The weather was perfect and sunny for 5 of the 6 days and the snow was great, and given the numbers of people stayed in good condition. The queues were fine with the worst being first uplift of a morning with a 10-15 minute wait, but no other queues after that.

The resort is family oriented , with Ski Famille and the family ski company in town, and you need to book if you want a table in La Ferme, so not a big party resort, but if you have a young family and cannot afford the Ski Famille Chalet holiday it might be an option.

I was very ill for the first 4 days, so I did not have the ski holiday I wanted, but the kids have all come back raving about it, previously they were not fans.

I have not mentioned the skiing as other have talked about on other posts, but access to the other valleys was easy, as was Val Thorens, La Masse was fantastic and tried to max my last two days on that side of the valley.

I will be going back, hopefully not for 4 days in bed.

BBB
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I only drank 4 beers all week, so probably have saved enough for a whole ski holiday. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blahblahblah, sorry to hear about your illness. I always feel a bit sorry for Les Menuires; it has such a bad reputation but there really is some very good skiing around there - especially mid season when it's sunny but not slushy. Reberty is a nice satellite of LM and La Ferme is the best value restaurant in the whole of the 3V IMO. But don't tell anyone or I won't be able to get a table wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raceplate, I have been there three times, and enjoy the skiing there and feel it is a great venue for families starting out, and the costs are acceptable. I used to go to Les Gets with the family but feel we will be back to Reberty later this year as we now have every thing sorted. The only thing I might change is going out side the school holidays and go with Ski Famille.

You obviously know the area, what is the bit off the back of La masse which is not pisted but really tracked out, and could not work out where it ends up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah, it's Lac du Lou, a fairly comfortable itinerary for a red/black run skier. You can access it from La Masse or from Val Thorens off the side of the Col de l'Audzin red from Cime Caron. I think you can also get in off Boismint but I haven't done that route. It's pretty safe, no really steep pitches and I frequently ski it on my own or follow a group at a distance. It comes out at Plan de l'Eau, or the Boulevard back to La Masse 1, Doron etc. You can split left or right after the first 500m or so but all routes end up back on the same path. Be wary of skiing it in spring unless there's lots of snow - the face that you CAN'T see from the top of La Masse may well be grass! Quick google search brings up this: http://www.camptocamp.org/routes/50867/en/pointe-de-la-masse-lac-du-lou-via-la-masse
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate, Thanks for that, I liked the look of it, but people seemed to have guides, and as I had not researched it did not want to chance it. Will try it next time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blahblahblah wrote:
Raceplate, but people seemed to have guides
More likely to be ESF instructors with their groups. 'Proper' guides usually go somewhere a bit more out of the way. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy