Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back from Italy and totally hooked!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Just got back from my first ever trip and am now totally hooked, thank you all for your advice and suggestions, I had a brilliant week and am now convinced there is snow in my veins instead of blood! Very Happy

I have already started looking again for New Year 2013/2014 and whilst I hate to be "that guy" I would really appreciate any and all suggestions that you feel may fit a small list of requirements below, I'm not too concerned with which country.

Thanks in advance guys, your comments and suggestions (Even your sarcasm!) is very much appreciated!

Typical Alpine village style
Relaxed Apres Ski preferred to bouncing bars!
Good snow history for time of year and decent snowmaking (I know nothing is guaranteed of course!)
Good selection of blues and reds
Decent lift system (My wife gets a bit scared on the the old clankers!)
Transfer preferably under two hours.

Cheers All! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arabba, or Folgarida/Marilleva with the full Madonna di Campiglio area pass.

Arabba trip report

Folgarida trip report

First Folgarida TR

I've not been (yet) but Cervinia might also be worth a look.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sted, Welcone to our world!!..where in Italy were you? and are you looking to go back there or somewhere else??

FURTHERMORE.....why not get on the mountain again this season...still plenty of time and plenty of options.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, cheers mate, will have a good look!

dazman, I was in tonale mate, not a legendary resort but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless, I may be able to sneak something cheap around the end of march/early April but its a long shot, I definitely want to get away for new year again though, don't really mind where!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sted, if you were in Tonale, and enjoyed yourself, you will really appreciate the skiing in Folgarida/Marilleva - much greater sense of travel and scenery is stunning. It might also be worth looking at staying in Madonna - lovely town, surrounded by the mountains and plenty of blues and reds to choose from.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree about the Brenta Dolomites - Madonna/Folgarida good (although Madonna bit more expensive - but more convenient for accessing whole ski area). Folgarida is one of the cheapest areas to go if you are on a budget.

Also try the main Dolomites/Sella Ronda area - Corvara, La Villa and Alpi di Suisi would best fit, also Kronplatz worth a visit, big mountain with pistes going in all directions from the top! Selva and Arabba also good but slopes a bit more testing for nervous skiers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chasseur, Aosta valley is great.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur, mentioned Cervinia and it hits all your points on the head apart from perhaps "typical alpine style village", that said we found it nice enough (I tend to look towards the mountains rather than the village).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sted, you can have two low season holidays for the price of one at New Year - it's the worst time of year to ski, crowded and expensive. Snow was terrific this year, but it's not always the case so early in the season. If you don't have kids in school, avoid ALL school hols (not just the Brit ones)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This thread is making the impending waynes world skiing trip all the better!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, interesting point! What time of year would you say is low season? Sort of end of feb early march maybe? Our last trip was around 2300 all in plus spends, is it really feasible to do two separate weeks for the same?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're tied to school holidays Christmas week and then Easter can be good alternatives. Usually £150-200 per person less than going a week later for New Year.
Low season would be now for a couple of weeks, then mid-late March onwards (depending on when Easter school hols fall).

£2.3k for 2 low season breaks for 2 people should be possible if you shop around.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
According to the Les Arcs Web site this year the 15/12/12 to 21/12/12 and from April 20 2013 is base season. The rest is high season.

Personally I would add the last 3 weeks of January and from the start of April to that list. The first full week of January used to be low season but with the orthodox christmas falling today that is not always the case.
sted, End of Feb to early Mar is pretty much the peak of the season
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE, I was thinking low season from a UK tour operators (pricing) point of view relatively quiet for people travelling from here, if not quiet in resort for other nationalities.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
Chasseur, Aosta valley is great.
+1

If you can fly to Turin easily Pila is a very quick transfer - if not Geneva is only 2.5hrs by car.

We use Pilaski.co.uk as she just sorts everything for us other than the travel - so easy and a great resort. You do also get a day out in the other resorts in the Aosta valley but never been bothered yet to go out of Pila personally.
snow conditions
I love Campiglio and Folgarida ski area. Its fantastic! Not been fir a few year but would love to go back as there is lots of tree skiing with beautiful scenery.
snow conditions
another vote for pilaski if you heading there, Carol has been in resort for a good number of years now and does a great job at a lot of different price point to suit most
ski holidays
sted, I know nothing of the Italian season dates, but in France, from early January (after New Year) until mid February is low season, then from mid March till the end of the season (the French don't bother much with skiing at Easter).

Brtish TOs will hike prices in school holidays regardless of whether it's "high season" locally or not. If there are just two of you, you are flexible about where to go etc etc, and get last minute bargains, you should be able to do trips much cheaper, and with quieter pistes.
ski holidays
montgenevre is well worth a look, nice old town, high and decent lifts
snow report
You'll defo get two holidays for that price outside of peak weeks if you box cleaver, Just look on igloo ski now and you'll see prices
ski holidays
sted, Obergurgl in Austria would meet all of your requirements
snow report
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy