Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FT looks at several alternative ski destinations ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... including:

Iran: Tochal, a resort directly above the capital Tehran with a gondola that "reaches almost 4000m", quite easy skiing, "certainly not the largest skiing resort in Iran", but clearly a welcome escape from the pollution and congestion of the city. This article by Raphael Minder.

Scotland: Cairngorm, tackled this time on touring skis to the summits of Cairngorm and Beinn MacDuibh, with an initiation in the use of the equipment on a 3-day induction course. It's described by Rob Penn.

Spain: Baqueira Beret, described as "Spain’s most celebrated ski resort", situated in the Aran Valley in Catalonia. The ski area boasts a vertical of 1010m and 30 lifts with "boundless off-piste, some of it exhilaratingly steep – the Escornacrabes couloir is easily as good as Whistler’s celebrated Couloir Extreme" according to Arnie Wilson.

Japan: Tenjindaira, said to be a snow magnet, two hours on the bullet train from Tokyo, is mentioned in this piece which is more about the unique Japanese skiing experience generally. It's by the FT's former Tokyo bureau chief Gillian Tett.

There are also articles about Chamonix, Snowbird and Alta, and Quebec.

You can access the whole FT travel section here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hands down the best 'winter sports supplement' so far this autumn in the UK press.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am glad the Tochal report differs very little from my 10-month earlier report in the forum. It locates at the fringe of the build-up area of Tehran and can be reached a taxi trip from the city centre. Skiing at 3850m summit (higher than any resort in French/Italian/Swiss/Austria Alps) via a 5 miles long gondola in October is something rare. The ski day pass was US$ 5.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am very happy to concur with Mr Wilson's Baqueira piece. I only had a long weekend there last year but better 0.5 spent a year there and knows it and the locals well. The Bonaigua development seems really well thought out and properly planned (allthough I understand that there is some help/consultancy from one of the big North American developers). Escorncrabes looked like a lot of fun but conditions weren't good enough when we were there to try it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took Mike Pow's hint and actually bought a copy of the FT this afternoon, which contains more features than they've put online. Yes, it should delight any intelligent skier who wants to read plenty of genuinely interesting stuff in a nice pull-out supplement with some great photos.

Because it's a Saturday/Sunday edition you should be able to pick up a copy tonight ... somewhere!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy