Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I carve my turns?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, last time I went skiing (which was a while ago I admit) I felt pretty confident in most areas of skiing. OK so I might not of had the technique nailed but I seemed to get down the slopes pretty competently. The only thing I felt was missing was a good carved turn. All my turns we slides and skids and although this helped me down the mountain safely I wanted to progress to the next level.

Now after watching some lessons on youtube it has become apparent that there seems to be a great amount of "carving gear" that seems to be available for the skier thats likes a good carve. Now my question is. How much of this stuff do I need? I mean do I need proper carving skis to get the basics or have I got to go the whole hog and grab everything carving I can get my hands on. Do I have to assume that I wont be able to carve my turns until I splash out on some good carving skis.

Anyway all advice is welcome.

Cheers guys.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
can carve on any ski. probably best to get a lesson. there's a stack of technique you need to be doing to carve properly.if you are skidding and sliding your turns you could be a long way off carving.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Philib wrote:
Now my question is. How much of this stuff do I need? I mean do I need proper carving skis to get the basics or have I got to go the whole hog and grab everything carving I can get my hands on. Do I have to assume that I wont be able to carve my turns until I splash out on some good carving skis.

It's all about correct technique not 'the correct gear' Confused

Short carving skis will make learning easier but you can carve with any skis if you have good technique.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Instead of splashing out on the gear, splash out on a lesson or two, you can't buy turns. There is no short cut. It is down to technique which comes with practise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New to this forum, but have a look at the attched youtube piece. This will help understand the basic principles of carving.

http://youtube.com/v/vlzIkIQa3e0

Its taken from a DVD Sofa Ski School by Klaus Mair which I would thoroughly recommend. The DVD is aimed at intermediate skiers who can get by but have picked up some bad habits over the years. Trust me you will straight away identify your bad habits which Klaus very cleverly replicates. Embarassed
It must be 5 years old now but far better to get hold of this or something similar than forking out lots of money on new kit.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Philib, I'm intrigued, what have you been skiing on if not carving skis - how long go were you last skiing - were you on your own ancient skis or hired ones? If you hired skis recently (last 5 years - possibly more (the other posters will know)) then I would imagine you were hired carving skis..........................

SH's folks, you know I'm no instructor, but am I missing something here?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Philib, unless your gear is 15 years plus old they will be "carving" skis. Modern skis will help a LOT. All the other stuff is BS. I observe about one in ten, maximum, skiers that actually carve turns, it's a high level skill and can indeed be highly dangerous. The advise above is spot on, get some instruction and all will be revealed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am hiring my skis in a few weeks in Pila. Is there an type of ski that I can ask for to help me with my carving?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slalom......careful on the first few turns though if you've only used straight skis in the past....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Philib, Pila is lovely, you should also be able to get a day at Courmayeur and La Thuile/La Ros on your lift ticket.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hopefully. I went to Courmayeur when I was there before. Sorrry I didnt realise ALL skis we carving skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Philib wrote:
I am hiring my skis in a few weeks in Pila. Is there an type of ski that I can ask for to help me with my carving?

Yes , a " soft" one

in my own experience I always wanted to hire the " best" skis - big mistake, too stiff and spent my time skidding around

One year the snow conditions were so poor I gave back the new Salomons they had hired to me, and Swapped them for something old that wouldn't mind being damaged by the rocks in the piste. They were old soft Rossingol Cobras and they were a revelation. So easy to turn, and my skiing improved hugely asa result

Personally what I keep in mind to carve a turn is to keep some weight on the inside of my heel of my edging ski in the second half of the turn. This stops me from skidding this part of the turn, and gives me the feeling that i am on rails. Well this is the thought that works for me anyway
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What do the instructers on here think of this guy please?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In hindsight Philib, while slalom skis will make it easier to find the edges at slower speeds....lessons would be preferable....

Getting soft! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Philib, I would venture that you don't need to be concerned about getting any different gear, what you are hired will allow you carve if you have sufficient skills. As others have mentioned you would be far, far better off investing in some lessons than spending cash on different 'gear' if you really want to spend some cash. FWIW I expect many of the SH's still don't carve perfectly - personally I'd settle for getting the occasional carved turn in by accident at my level LOL. Many people will probably tell you that having lots of different techniques at your disposal is a better option.

Instructors! where are you?
ski holidays
I think that clip is very poor, and if its typical of the rest of the DVD I'd avoid it.
latest report
Mike3000, Try going to Golders Green and asking what the local residents think of Hitler - get the idea?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I think that clip is very poor, and if its typical of the rest of the DVD I'd avoid it.

+1 and I have the dvd.
latest report
I stand by the Sofa Ski School DVD being very usefull for intermediate skiers with bad habit problems such as over rotation and back seat skiing, I will consede perhaps it does not explain the physics of carving which when understood may then make it easier to execute.

Have a look at this one, I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1071&feature=iv&src_vid=IcGaXRQ7l4Q&v=UGn62uxnhjg
snow report
Scarlet Fez, my problem with the carving clip has nothing to do with how he explains things, but what he is suggesting that you do. Shoulders down the valley when carving? Not for the size turns he was demonstrating. Pushing your inside ski forwards at the start of the turn? No, that's really bad advice IMO. As a result he gets horribly out of shape in some of the demos he makes, with excessively open hips and an unstacked stance which will make it difficult to work with the forces that would be generated if he was skiing quickly. Once a skier develops those movements so they become habitual they are going to limit their performance and it will be incredibly difficult to unpick those bad habits.
ski holidays
Scarlet Fez wrote:
Have a look at this one, I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1071&feature=iv&src_vid=IcGaXRQ7l4Q&v=UGn62uxnhjg
Darren Turner is excellent, and his ski instruction apps are well worth the money.
latest report
Scarlet Fez, can you see any differences in the skiers body positions between the two clips you've posted.
snow conditions
Get lessons
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

Shoulders down the valley when carving? Not for the size turns he was demonstrating. Pushing your inside ski forwards at the start of the turn?

Yessss!!! The two points I picked up, but didn't dare post. I've been well taught by somebody. Or at least I've been listening. wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 6-01-13 23:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Pedantica, my work here is done wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, oops, cross post with my edit. wink
latest report
Points taken. Horses for courses. Please delete from thread if those in the know think its a bad example. What I will say during the course of the DVD is that alot of his examples are yes over emphasised to get certain points across. These did make me realise where I had some issues. Have I cracked it? Still at 53 work in progress. wink But still love trying to get a bit better if no wiser. Blush
ski holidays
Scarlet Fez, it's a good example of a bad umm...example.... Toofy Grin

So should stay imv..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Direct instruction with a good instructor is probably the best way to go but, if you want to look at something at home, I would recommend the BASI Skiing Skills DVDs, which I have recently enjoyed. You can buy the individual DVDs (Piste Performance concentrates on carving) but the package of 4 for £61.50 seems better value.

One tip I got from the DVD that I don't think has been mentioned here yet is to find the right piste to practise on: not too steep, quiet and well prepared.
snow report
Scarlet Fez wrote:

What a useful video, thanks for posting it.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Shoulders down the valley when carving?

But what about shoulders facing the outside of the turn i.e. not facing the direction of the skis, but certainly more downhill?
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Shoulders down the valley when carving?

But what about shoulders facing the outside of the turn i.e. not facing the direction of the skis, but certainly more downhill?
Hips are more important than shoulders (although shoulders will generally follow the hips), and this should be in proportion to and a reaction to the forces and angles that the skier is creating. So yes a measure of a countered position (hips facing slightly to the outside of the turn) is a good thing in some circumstances because it makes it slightly easier to achieve fore/aft and lateral balance as well as working with the large forces that are generated in a carved, high speed turn. Looking at images of GS skiers will give lots of examples of how much counter is being used.

The reason I don't like that Klaus Mair clip is that if you follow his spoken advice and replicate some of his demos you'd end up with excessive counter, and rather than a stronger stance you'd have a weaker stance by artificially creating an unnecessary movement at the start of the turn. Those are bad habits to get in to, and difficult to fix. I've never seen a client whose hips were excessively closed (ie too much counter to the inside of the turn, by I've seen a few that were excessively open (ie too much counter to the outside of the turn) to the extent that their outside foot is lagging behind. It's rare that recreational skiers generate the kinds of angles and forces that demand a measure of counter, and those that do tend to naturally find the countered position they need. The first time I did GS training I was complimented on my countered position, even though I had no idea what it was. It just happened naturally as a consequence of what I was doing because I was forced, for the first time, to create really big angles in order to get around the gates.
ski holidays
rob@rar, +1 - he looks like he's 'bording in some shots which is tres odd.

red 27, having grown up just outside Golders I can tell you they have mixed views. They didn't like some of his policies but now they have Israel they can see the benefit of much of his work and are, indeed, currently reviving many of the man's principles including ID cards for racial subgroups, control of work and freedom of movement in their new retirement destination. The concept of 'living space' for expansion towards the east and north is also very popular. Their nice friends in the US are helping with the local planning laws so no problem there (not that they really worried about them anyway). Also they are keeping the old customs and building themselves a big pale in the new country but out of concrete so it will last. A mitzvah to all I am sure you will agree.

sev112, I find that stiffer skis work better to carve but then I don't bother carving at low speeds and am of a fuller figure!
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, nice one! Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'd go to a good boot fitter.
snow report
lol I didnt realize an innocent post about spelling would become so political lol.

Anyway guys thanks for the advice. I have a lot to think about. Hopefully going to get some tuition if at all possible.

See you on the slopes.

Btw keep the posts coming. The more info I can suck up the better.

thanks
ski holidays
red 27,
I get the idea Little Angel
I wanted to read some detail though and have which I've found useful.
snow report
I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned carving underpants yet.
snow report
musher, I think they did.....in the second vid! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
When I learnt to carve my instructor made us hook the strap of one pole around the guard of the other and visa versa, then place the circle around your waist. (dont think I have explained very well, need a visual aid)
Basically you are making a sort of box out of your poles and your standing in the middle of it.

Then find a nice wide blue, and pick up a bit of speed with your hands on your knees, then all you do is push your outside knee inwards with your hand, Viola!!
You should notice two parallel line behind you if you have done it properly.
I had never carved before trying this exercise, and it worked amazingly first time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy