Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie to chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. Hope you all had a great new year!

I'm heading to chamonix with 2 friends at the end of jan. all intermediate skiers but one hasn't skied in about 5 years.

We have an apartment by Aguile di midi. Is there anything up there apart from the Valle Blanche? From what I've read maybe we would be better suited to start off the trip at les Houches to get the legs going then move to grand monets once were happy and in the flow? What do you think about this plan? We're only going for long weekend so was thinking one day at les Houches and two at grand monets?

We have a car so can drive to lifts, is there accessible parking? Is it free?

Can we buy lift passes on the day from the lifts or should these be pre ordered?

Finally the intersport shop has decent prices online for ski hire, it's located by Aguile di midi, anyone have any comments on using these guys? Good or bad.

Thanks for any responses! Look forward to learning more about chamonix Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are plenty of easy runs at Les Houches. You can also find similar at Le Tour (especially Vormaine).

Parking is free at all resorts except Brevent.

You can buy lift passes on the day or you can preorder on line.

Also in Chamonix Sud for ski rental is http://www.localchx.com Run by some Brits, they provide an excellent service.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey thanks for the reply! Is it worth us going up the Aguile di midi lift? It seems the only thing that's for is the Valle Blanche run. I will look at le tour, would you say that is better than les Houches?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's worth going up the AdM just for the ride. If you do nothing but gawp at the views and grab a coffee, you'll still have an amazing hour or two.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just there for three days so would rather ski, next time though for sure we will be soaking in some sights up there. To just clarify, is there a bunch of runs and a piste ski area up there or should I stick to grand monets / le tour? Having trouble figuring out where to ski as there seems to be so much choice in Cham Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cityskier2013, GM isn't the best place for intermediates imho - there are red/blue runs but they're pretty tough, and aren't on the whole that interesting - If I had three days with intermediates I'd have a day at Flegere/Brevent (check out Mr Piehole's pics on the Cham weatherthread), a day at Le Tour and pop down to Les Houches another day.

As I found out you can't buy passes for specific areas by the day any more - if you're not going up to the top at Grands Montets I think you need the Chamski pass (not sure if Les Houches is on it though).

Or if you're strong intermediates you could get yourselves a guide and do the Vallee Blanche. Cracking adventure and not very hard skiing (but some big holes to fall down).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are various runs down from the Aiguille du Midi lift but all of them require much experience or a guide. It is not pisted, it is all off-piste.

I prefer Le Tour but I'm sure others will disagree. I would make a decision in the morning depending on the weather conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies. Yes those three days you suggest sounds like a good plan. Is there parking at the foot of each lift? If I order my cham ski pass online how do I collect it?

Thanks,

M
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cityskier2013 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Yes those three days you suggest sounds like a good plan. Is there parking at the foot of each lift? If I order my cham ski pass online how do I collect it?

Thanks,

M

You can buy it when you get there from wherever you ski first. Not sure what happens if you order online - i ordered my PdS ones online and they sent them through the post, or you could pick them up from a specific internet sales desk.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cityskier2013, I would have thought Flegere/Brevent a better bet than GM - loads of intermediate skiing there, and great views.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are some people who go up the Aiguille du Midi and ski but for most of us it would be completely impossible even to think about it (except the Vallee Blanche with a guide). There is certainly nothing even remotely resembling a piste. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is parking at the foot of each lift. Les Houches (especially Bellevue) gets very busy as it is quite small.

Brevent has a multi-storey (paid) car park with some tight corners, if it is busy then there will be Police Municipale at the top of Rue Mummery stopping any more cars from going up the hill.

Flegere has a large car park all on level ground.

Grands Montets has the largest car park, again all on flat ground.

Le Tour has a big car park on a steep hill, make sure you have chains or snow tyres if you are going up there. If it is busy there then people start parking on the road leading up to the hill - not legal.

If you buy ski passes online then you have to pick them up from the Montenvers ticket office.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the vallee blanche is a pretty easy route to ski but for a mixed group of abilities its a bit hit and miss, its also expensive as you'll have to pay about £70 each for a guide. There are other routes down but they get progressively more difficult.

as said before though it will make a good day out.

If you want to do a day in les houches it might work out cheaper to buy a day pass there and then get a 2 day le pass for the other areas (assuming you dont want to use the grands montets lift)

for three days i'd probably buy the le pass and spend 1 day at le tour, then brevent/flegere and then the last day at grand montet and leave les houches out all together...

depending on how you find brevent and flegere on the second day it might be worth spending a 2nd day there or le tour instead of grand montets, GM is a real marmite place and depending on conditions and abilities it could ruin your stay. Its not really for anyone looking to ride groomers and if its not snowed for a week or so it can be a real tester.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes - thanks for the all the replies. Very helpful.

As we only have half a day skiing on the first day (land in Geneva at 9am then drive up, hoping to be on the slopes for 12) we are planning on stopping at Les Houches as soon as we arrive, and do half a day there.

The next day we plan to do Brevents/Flangere and the final day we plan to do Le Tour. We will get a 2 day Cham pass for this independently from the half day les houches pass for the first half a day.

Going to give Grand Monets a miss, next year the whole group should be a lot better so GM and Valle Blanche will be more possible.

Thanks again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cityskier2013, sounds like a great plan. Have fun.
snow conditions
If your apartment is by the Aiguille du Midi lift, you can easily walk to the Brevent lift rather than drive....well, its a bit of a stiff walk up a hill but OK.

This is much quicker using this bubble to go up to the B/F area than driving to Flegere and waiting for the cable car
snow conditions
I was actually wondering if we could walk, I am staying North of the Aguili di midi, FR-74400 Chamonix if that helps? North of the river, i would guess its very close to the brevents lift but cant seem to find that lift start location on a map anywhere?

Thanks!
snow report
Also, I am hoping that the lift stations with have local piste maps for the area? Am I correct in thinking that or should I get them elsewhere?
ski holidays
Cityskier2013, you'll be fine with piste maps. As for walking directions you can access the pistes by taking the drag lift at Savoy - see the other thread re Happy Hour in Chamonix for directions to the back of the Club Med hotel. This saves having to walk uphill to the bubble.
snow report
Cityskier2013, brevent lift is at the top of rue de mollard
snow conditions
Don't bother with the Cham Pass the saving doesn't warrant the inflexibility, just buy a ticket a day, if you end up at Les Houches it is cheaper.

Les Houches - save for poor visibility days or if you know snow is good down low.

Otherwise for intermediate and 1 a bit rusty for 3 days

Day 1: Go to Flegere car park and ski Brevent / Flegere from there. You can pick your skis up and the intersport on the way. There is a nice green run right at the start to warm you up.
Day 2: Get up early and travel somewhere, Les Contamines, Les Gets, Avoriaz, Megeve the world is you oyster
Day 3: La Tour, screaming red and blues to finish off and you drop skis off on way back through valley to Geneve
ski holidays
bbski, I don't think you can buy single area day passes any more (unless it's for beginners' areas) - I asked the question earlier this year as we're off for the weekend this week.
latest report
bbski wrote:
Don't bother with the Cham Pass the saving doesn't warrant the inflexibility, just buy a ticket a day, if you end up at Les Houches it is cheaper.

Les Houches - save for poor visibility days or if you know snow is good down low.

Otherwise for intermediate and 1 a bit rusty for 3 days

Day 1: Go to Flegere car park and ski Brevent / Flegere from there.

An excellent plan with one small problem (as I discovered a couple of weeks ago).

The queue for the Flegere cable car is appalling (40 minutes for us). Park at Brevent instead (not free, but only a few quid) and get on a gondola in about 20 seconds flat.
snow report
Queue should be OK at mid day. Get the day pass at the ticket offices, I think its a bit cheaper if after lunch. If you get it in advance you save a few euros but if it rains, or you want to go somewhere else you are stuck.
latest report
On a related point... Are there any free or discounted beginner areas in the valley.

Doesn't seem worth paying for chamonix Le pass with a total beginner if the first day will spent on a nursery slope?

Thanks.
ski holidays
Quote:

Doesn't seem worth paying for chamonix Le pass with a total beginner if the first day will spent on a nursery slope?

Ask the ski school what pass will be needed.
snow report
Cityskier2013,

If you are intermediate don't bother with Grand Montet.

Le Tour best But at top of valley so longer bus ride, then Flegere and Brevent. The last two are linked by cable car. I tend to park at Brevent to avoid queue at Flegere.

I rent my kids skiis through this <contact> webbooking , skiis are excellent and come from Sanglard which is on the main roundabout as you come into Chamonix.

They are much cheaper if booked this way.

Snow has been excellent in CHX
ski holidays
jsrt201, at the bottom of Le Tour there is a large beginner area called La Vormaine – they sell separate passes for that area by the hour or blocks of a few hours. Not sure but I think it's €8 per hour. If you already have a Le Pass or MB Unlimited then you can also access the area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cityskier2013, Take the Brevant gondola to the first stop (don't go to the top of Charles Bozon). Off the lift take a right and there are a number of easy runs over to Flegere to get your legs going again.
latest report
Just go to Les Houches and chuck yourself down the Kandehar run as many times as you can. Depending on the line you take and how much you want to compare your time to World Cup skiiers, it can be a medium blue or a crap your knickers, I need a parachute run.

La Tour has a good variety - nothing too brutal.

GM - you want to be full of confidence and be on fresh legs.

jsrt201, Last time I was in Cham, (March 2011) there was a free button lift at the bottom of La Tour. No pass gates. Would really only be suitable for complete beginners for the first day or two.
ski holidays
Thornyhill, that button lift isn't free any more (see above). Some friends came to visit over new year's eve and one had never skied before, so was at La Vormaine having lessons. He had to pay but it was cheap.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy