Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telemark skis/bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I have returned to the world of telemark skiing recently and having a hard time navigating through all the equipment offered these days. I am looking for a good all mountain tele binding for use at the ski area. No climbing or backcountry. Any suggestions??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NTN Rottefella Freeride or Freedom
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great. Thanks for the information.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jules139, the Freeride gives the option of three fore/aft positions (with 15mm of seperation between each) & with additional bases attached to other skis you can share one pair of bindings across other skis.

Freedom is lower & lighter (& beautifully machined) but has a fixed position although with Quiver Killer binding inserts you can still share them across other skis.

The Freedom & the centre position on the Freeride should mounted with the boot line on the ski line or no more than 1cm forward.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, with blue springs they are really active and you don't need to go forward unless you're a trad low-leg dragger.

Sound's like you're getting into tele wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 5-01-13 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jules139, You'll need NTN specific boots for them. Scarpa or Crispi
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just started telemarking after a 15 year break. The last pair of telemark bundings I had were Riva's mounted on an old pair of downhill skis. My boots were Asolo Extremes, the old leather ones. I hate to admit it but I have no idea what everyone is talking about!! I think a basic cable binding would be ok for me. I just bought a new pair of Scarpa T2 Ecos and now need a basic ski binding set up. Suggestions???
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jules139, economic would be something on the lines of year old Dynastar Legends (available new at 1/2 price) and maybe G3 Targa a simple robust spring and cable setup. The legends are nice and stable mid fat and ride their sidecut nicely in a carve and still have enough softness to wash the tails out.

You could spend big money on Black Diamond skis and bindings for a lightweight powerful mountain blaster but the cheaper option will give you a couple years or more of progression without limiting where you want to slide.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great info. I am going to look into this right now. I demo'd a set of atomics with some old cable binding last week and it all came back to me.All except remembering how sore i used to get after a day of skiing. We are headed to Austria early march for some skiing. Cant wait to hit the ultra long runs on a new tele set up! Thanks again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jules139, You've lots more options than that, where are you thinking of going? I know that Val Thoren has tele skis for hire in a range of types . . . Think the shop is Goerchls (sp?) mid town by the slope down to the bunny bits. Livigno's a tele centre and there are many more scattered around the alps. Last time out I saw someone on 160 Atomic SLs having a whale of a time . . . mind he was about 20 and 10stone with the fastest leade change I've EVER seen Shocked

I slither around on Fat Icelandic Nomads with Bishop Bomber ironwork but stick 'em on an edge and they can really rip Twisted Evil that and a telemark snowboard . . . but we don't talk about that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
spyderjon, ......Sound's like you're getting into tele wink

Nah, just mounted loads of 'em this season
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, Dam! they'll be as common as muck, the merchant *ankers tool of choice now Evil or Very Mad I'd better go find the next insane piece of self harming weapon wink

Though I'm getting it nailed with the TTS system and a mod to the wire box to make it QR with G3 Onyx sliding heel pieces. Should let me swop from tele to alpine in a couple of minutes and be safe. Got to choose the right skis to screw everything onto next.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're going to St Anton, and my wife alpine skis. Do you where I can rent tele skis there? I will bring my boots, but leave the skis at home. I'm in the NE USA trying to find equipment to try out here first, but its slim pickings on tele gear where we are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jules139, I'm down in Florida and not skied in St Anton. Best do both a google search for ski hire in St Anton . . . AND . . . Post a help request in the 'Piste' section of this forum, you should get some good response. There's plenty of time to get things organised.

Nice to see a fellow yank exploring the World Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jules139, I've just returned from a week in St Anton. Although I've got my own Tele gear so had no need to hire, I know that Sport Pete in the main pedestrian only street (Dorfstrasse 17) do tele equipment, and they rent out tele skis. If you have any specific requirements best to contact them directly either via info@sportpete.com or telephone +43 5446 3710.

Hope this helps. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Hi Alastair, Happy New Year, good to see you still grinding yer knees to jelly Toofy Grin and thanks for the assist
ski holidays
Jules139, If you are after a cable binding --- look at 22 Designs (Hammerhead, Bombshell or Vice). Similar money to the G3s, but at least it's a binding designed in the 21st century !
ski holidays
ski, Shocked bitchy wink They all work just fine. I've Bombers, NTN and Cobras. Used 22 Designs. All are different with differing characteristics, none broke and all let me have fun on the hill. I like to vary my technique as I'm always pushing myself to learn more and ski better so I enjoy the differences rather than complain about them. New is not always better, just different.
latest report
Masque wrote:
Jules139,
Nice to see a fellow yank exploring the World Toofy Grin

Went to Wengen and Zermatt last year for the first time, now we're hooked.

Thanks for the great advice here, looking forward to getting a great set-up and may have even decided to bring the equipment with me.
ski holidays
go NTN straight away, very strong chance you'll get there eventually anyway. freedom vs freeride is a bit more uncertain as this is the freedom's first season. I am on freeride and was going to add freedom this year but decided to hold out till next year

Masque, we may have debated it before, but what is the attraction of TTS? Not sure I get it to be honest - engage tele halfway down the hill? or is it driven by having single pair of boots for tele and tech? It just seems to lead to inflexibility in a quiver given all the extra holes? Puzzled (or a dedicated light tele touring setup, in which case freedom must be a strong contender). It still looks a tad homemade too. Not raggin on it, just not really getting it Confused
snow report
barry, TTS is pure tele using a Dynafit tech nose piece instead of duckbill. The position of the cable/spring mount is (now) adjustable to change the 'feel' of the heellift from soft to very'active' It is releasable and VERY light but from all reports Very solid and direct.

TTS is just a one man operation and he's developing it slowly. Me I want the ability to change from Tele to alpine at the click of a switch. The ability to just need one pair of boots for all your needs is a real advantage. And a comfy one. I can wander around in my NTN boots all day Very Happy

It would give me the ability to travel with two pairs of skis and my teleboard with boots and still be well within baggage weight limits . . . and sell off a lot of my stuff that for the most part just gains dust.

It was a shame that Bishop have disappeared, my Bombers are indestructible, they release and fit NTN, AT and duckbills.

edit: you can use at boots in the TTS setup, even the non-bellows type and the lightweight touring boots
latest report
I get the setup details but NTN and inserts for a tech binding gives you the same thing? That's the part I'm struggling a bit with - its already possible with more established kit. There's no real money saving as I don't think you can get tech heel pieces separately, so again struggling to see benefit - is quicker changeover that big a deal?

I have an old set of bombers too in the garage - fab bindings, gorgeous looking things too
latest report
barry, For me it's predominantly about weight and with the tech heel pieces set up to screw in with quiver killers they'd still be used when I want them. NTN boots allow me to hire AT skis in resort and hire shops are moving to NTN. For me it's the best of all worlds and I still have my old Rott series 2 NTN bindings I can pop onto rock hoppers or some SL/GS gate clippers just to be very stupid and race them . . . I need to up my fitness though Embarassed
snow report
If I was starting from scratch, and had the money readily available, then I think NTN would probably be the answer, as a lot of other people are saying. However, I've stuck with 75mm gear for a few different reasons:

(1) I wasn't rich enough to justify buying new NTN bindings and boots at the same time, especially when I hadn't even definitely settled on the idea of telemarking in preference to alpine. I've really searched around for cheap second-hand kit, and there's a lot more cheap 75mm gear hanging around, although you have to work hard to find it. Give NTN a few more years and that might not be a problem.

(2) NTN doesn't have an adjustable DIN-calibrated release function. Admittedly, only the 7tm bindings do have this, but still, that was a factor for me. I know you can get different stiffness cartridges for NTN and adjust them, but you're relying completely on trial and error to get the right release level set.

(3) I also have old-style 3-pin cross-country gear and leather boots. Keeping 75mm gear means that I can use my leather boots if I really want.

(4) NTN isn't *truly* step-in like the 7tm STI design is. I'm not saying NTN is difficult, but the 7tm design is a little easier to use IMHO (as long as you use brakes and no leashes)

(5) One that doesn't apply to me but does for a few people: weight and simplicity. If you're doing light touring in rolling terrain, the lightest NTN setup is going to be unnecessarily heavy and annoyingly stiff compared to a simple cable binding and some more lightweight boots.

All of which means I'm currently using Garmont Genesis boots with 7tm STI power tour bindings, mounted on a pair of Black Diamond skis that were thrown in for £25 when I bought the boots. The most expensive part of the set-up was the newly-bought 7tm bindings but they were cheap compared to the kit I'd have had to buy to switch to NTN.

Nevertheless, though, in a world where I had several hundred pounds just floating around and the time to experiment with cartridge settings, I'd probably go NTN.
snow report
^ fair dinkum. Strong chance you'll get there (NTN) in a couple of years anyway, but nothing lost really if you stay with duckbill in the meantime.

Many believe that NTN reinvented Tele, many others think that's BS - I tend towards the former although it probably can't be truly claimed until the new Freedom model kicks in properly (only first season this year which is why I'm holding out). Once it's taken (might be a change or two from launch model), then in theory it gives NTN pretty much everything, incl lightness. (TTS devotees aside - I think that's a pretty niche market even by Tele standard but lots of Tele guys have been switching to tech in last year or two so who knows- I've got a tech setup and a tele(NTN) setup and am happy to throw them both in the boot / bag if necessary, although decision on which to use is usually made before that point). Freedom in theory has skiability, tourability, low weight and semi release (release and especially DIN certified release not a big deal for many). I for one wil be delighted if it turns out that way - I love NTN and am happy enough to continue my pottering day tours on them but recognise the weight and stride benefit the freedom will bring - if it skis as well as the freeride then I'm in

Anyway, enjoy the transition, it's awesome, and I imagine much eaiser when its a return.

I started on 75 mm and I changed to NTN FOR 3 reasons

1. Shiney shiney
2. Step in (my first afternoon Tele on 75mm was about 10 minutes skiing and the rest trying to get into them!
3. Not a good one this but the notion that NTN was easier than 75mm to revert to parallel turns while learning - I think it's true but not a great reason for switching - i'm a lazy learner!
snow conditions
barry,
Quote:

NTN reinvented Tele

Hammerheads came closer.... Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy