Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing end of August?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible to ski in the Europe at the end of August? Any glacier skiing?

OH is approaching 30 and we want to do something to remember it! We were thinking of hiring a cottage somewhere nice in the UK for a week and have all our friends join us, but I suggested a chalet in France or Austria instead (likely much cheaper than staying in England!).

Then I started to wonder if its possible to ski anywhere in August......?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chile with the rest of the World Cup racers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sometimes the glacier at Tignes is open at the end of August, but snow conditions can be at their worst at that time. I think this summer it had already closed by the end of August, although it's not unknown to get a little bit of fresh snow if you're lucky at that time of year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As much as I love all my friends, I'm not paying for them to go to Chile!

May have to stick to Europe Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shootinstar9, Try Hintertux glacier
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shootinstar9, Hintertux is probably the best you'll get at that time. Which doesn't mean you are likely to get good skiing, just better than anywhere else in Europe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you!

Damn summer babies.... why couldn't he be born in winter like the rest of the family?! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a pretty iffy time as some of glacier resorts that will have been open close for maintenance like someone mentioned Tignes. I've skied on a couple of glaciers in the summer but due to their very nature the terrain on glaciers is relatively flat. I still think it makes for a good holiday, the mountains are a nice place to be in the summer anyhow but the skiing is more of a novelty than anything else IMO. There are usually large parts of what is already a small area cordoned off for race training, the lifts open early and it's hard and icy in the morning then you have a couple of hours where it softens up to something a kin to spring type conditions it then gets heavy and wet with lifts closing around 2ish being the norm from my experience of Zermatt. If you don't base the trip around souly getting several good days skiing I wouldn't ditch the idea. Zermatt is a wonderful place to be at any time of the year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course Hemel and stay at the Novotel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Deux Alpes is open up to the end of August also I believe.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could hire a cottage near Gloucester dry slope? Best of both worlds
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The more I look into it, the more I'm realising that it isn't really an option!

I think a chalet in Austria or France would be nice though... beautiful scenery, lovely weather, good beer/wine and makes a change from dreary old England!

Any recommendations for a group of 30-ish-year-olds who love good beer, good wine, good food and walking/cycling/scenery?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shootinstar9, don't know about chalets, as we stayed in a hotel, but Mayrhofen was great in August, with lots to do and stunning scenery. You can also get a day's skiing on the Hintertux glacier, just a bus ride away, if you still want to do that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shootinstar9, I've had summer holidays near Les Deux Alpes and Hintertux with the purpose of doing a bit of glacier skiing. While you wouldn't want to make skiing an all-day/every-day activity, it would be worth doing for the odd morning or two and there is loads of other things to do in the Alps in the summer.

When we went, the weather in the valley was warm enough to sun-bathe too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's actually a beach set up around a man made lake in the summer in L2A. My daughter had a morning sun bathing there rather than trudging up the mountain with me. This photo of it was actually taken in September a couple of years ago after the end of the summer season
Les Deux Alpes
ski holidays
Claude B, I thinks Mayrhofen is prettier in summer and you can get the train up and down the valley too.

Les 2 Alpes is better skiing in winter though!
snow report
maggi, Possibly! I didn't ski when we went in the summer. Did other things instead, there is a lot going on.
snow report
shootinstar9, I skied Hintertux this summer and intend to again next summer. This year we actually had some good snow during the summer and could ski quite extensively in September. There are loads of race clubs/teams there that cannot afford to go to southern climes and they mange quite well.

I'm an early Autumn birthday and skied on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier on my birthday then had glorious cale and sticky things at one of my favourite hotels. The Kitz is closed to skiing in high summer though.

I don't think you will find the raving thumping Après Ski scene at the Hohnehaus at Tux, it never looked open when I was there (all through the summer months) but you could probably get a very good deal for you and some friends at some extremely posh (or not so posh) hotels at that time of year. Loads of mountain biking, walking, rafting canyoning and other activities to indulge in if the snow is not quite up to scratch.

Go for it loads to do and it is something special!
latest report
I went up to Tux this August and would not have bothered skiing. There were a few racers on the top T bars but everything below that was grey glacier. But two years ago in August I was able to ski down to Tuxerfernerhaus but there was a "river" running down the piste for some of they way. So, I wouldn't be booking up to go there in August. It would take an awful lot of luck to get the conditions half-way decent.

Saas Fee / Zermatt probably a better bet but, to be honest, there are better things to do in the mountains in the summer.
latest report
shootinstar9, The Alps are very beautiful in summer - but scrap the skiing idea.
snow report
We went to Saas Fee towards the end of July a couple of years ago. It wasn't a ski holiday, more of a walking/eating/swinging across the gorge holiday, but with all the fresh snow we had that week (and down to 2500m a couple of days), it would've been rude not to! We just went skiing once as ideally you need to be on the lift before 7.30am to get the most out of it, as they close again early afternoon, and also it's insanely expensive.

The racers and ski academy seemed to be having a good time, but they have another reason to be there than just leisure. We were there for the novelty of skiing fresh snow in July, but you wouldn't do it every day.

What about going somewhere for mountain biking and walking? The alps are still a lovely place to be in summer. Somewhere like Morzine would likely be affordable and with plenty to do.
snow report
shootinstar9, Glaciers open would be Hintertux, Saas Fee, Zermatt, Led Deux Alps and maybe Cervinia.

Skiing will be limited and anything past midday will not be great regardless of resort. Biggest ski area will be Hintertux prettiest villages will be Saas Fee and Zermatt.

Sass Fee and zermatt have loads of other activities for the days the lifts close & Plenty to do in the afternoon also, from Adventure forests to alpine costers, and walking.

Best of luck with the search
ski holidays
shootinstar9,
Quote:

Is it possible to ski in the Europe at the end of August? Any glacier skiing?

Yes. Tignes.

The snow may be good, or it may be awful -- it is the lowest point in the year for snow. But you can ski August Bank Holiday there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy