Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski school that will take a 4year old for Flocon or equivalent.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My 4year old has picked up skiing quite easily. She had 6lessons at MK SnoZone before we went on holiday. She was very nearly signed off as an independent skier in that brief time (just couldn't use the drag lift). So we put her (and her 6year old brother) in the Ourson class in ESF La Bresse. The first 3 days in the snow garden just appeared to be repracticing skills they had already been taught. On the 4th day she learnt to use the drag lift. By the end of the 5th day she was comfortably going down the green nursery slope with snowplough turns and bringing her skis parallel when going across the slope. The instructor gave her her Ourson badge and said technically, she's very good, she's fine to progress to Flocon, but she is too small.
We then took her out that afternoon, evening and the next day where she would happily snowplough down most things on a blue. She would only bring her skis parallel if 'this is the exercise we are doing now mummy' when she played being the teacher. So she can, but generally wouldn't. She is only 4 after all!
She says she doesn't want to go in the garden again, she wants to be on the proper slopes.

So, we want to go on holiday again at half term but I am struggling to find somewhere that will take her. Yes, I could just ski with her myself, but she doesn't want to take instruction from me, and it gives me and hubby a couple of hours to ski/board together (to make up for 6years of no skiing).

I have looked into the Portes du Soleil area, and I thought 360 in Les Gets would take her but by email they suggest Cristal for her and Cristal Bronze for the 6 year old, even though the 4 year old is technically better than the 6 year old (but not as fast or crazy). In Val Thorens the website suggests they take 4year olds on Flocon but they start in the garden again and the description seems a level down than everywhere else! So actually would I put them on 1st star? (also VT is too high).

Our other constraints are that we are in a campervan/motorhome so initially had been looking at PdS as it is a shorter drive, some resorts are low (and have aires) and we could avoid (expensive, class2) tolls by going via Strasbourg/Colmar and the East side of Lake Geneva. Also we had been trying to save money by going to places with local area lift passes as we can only guarantee to ski when the kids are in lessons (although we did double that by going skiing with them).

Please give me some suggestions! Surely I can't be the only person with this conundrum?! I guess, if needs be, we might have to try to find private tuition (during school holidays)!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SachaF, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead It's pretty late now for half term - I suspect a lot of ski schools are fully booked. However, I do have a suggestion. this is a link to the ESI in Les Saisies (Glisse Passion) snowHead http://www.glissepassion.fr/en/tests-and-medals-pxl-18.html

They are less rigid and hierarchical than ESF and might well be able to accommodate your daughter - I'd send an email in the first instance, explaining what you want, then follow up with a phone call. They don't speak brilliant english, so keep it simple.

There's an extremely good mobile home site (and a big huge "aire" place with no facilities). They were all absolutely packed with vans at New Year - now mostly gone (why people with their own accommodation still all drive here, and leave, on Saturdays defeats me - I guess that's the French way).

You can get a pass just for Les Saisies, rather than the wider Espace diamant, and there are family pass facilities. Under 5s get free passes. Generally it's cheaper than the PdS, though it will, like everywhere else, be crowded at half term.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SachaF, welcome to SHs snowHead

What's the problem with what 360 Les Gets have offered you? Sounds perfect to me! Are you worried about the level? If so I wouldn't as from what you have described that would be right as the ESI have 3 lower badges than Cristal anyway which roughly translate to Piou piou and Ourson, so Cristal is in effect Flocon. Also from experience, they will award whatever badge they deem appropriate at the end of the week so they could both end up with the Cristal or the Cristal Bronze (or the 4 year old could get the bronze and the 6 year old the cristal wink )

You are not the only person to have experienced this. My 4 year old was the same and got Cristal Bronze in his first year. There is another SH, I think it is RobW, and his boy was kicked out of ski school for being too good if I remember rightly, he had more luck in Austria I think!

I would definitely stick with an ESI school over the ESF for young kids who are very good for their age as they are as pam w says more flexible about these things than the ESF.

At age 4 we successfully used Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent and Magic in La Tania, both ESI schools after having an unsuccessful experience with the ESF in Les Houches who said he should go to Flocon but he is too young/small. At 5 we used the European Ski School in Les Deux Alpes, Apeak in Montgenevre and Ultimate in La Tania. Ultimate are no longer in La Tania but Snow Limits is one of the same instructors.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both Pam and Sarah for your suggestions. Very helpful. I have been a lurker for a while but not posted before wink

Sarah, thanks for the levels advice, just what I needed. Having had a look at other ESI sites which list the other beginner levels, I can see that Cristal level would indeed be appropriate for her. On the 360 website she seemed to fit the Cristal Bronze description all apart from doing a blue run at a faster speed, which was why I thought Cristal was the same as Ourson, especially as they said 'for those that have skied 1 week before' when effectively the MK lessons skipped her a week (and a bit) on the ESF system. I shall definately look at the websites of the other places you have both suggested.

Sarah, by my calculations that was 3 weeks of skiing you did when your boy was 5, wow! I thought we were doing pretty well getting 2 weeks in! Pam, we are restricted to school holidays only so we are Saturday to Friday (with Saturday driving) this time as we have to be back for a ballet show on the Sunday! Thanks for pointing out the bit about booking, I had assumed you just turn up and book the day before! But then, I've never had lessons in the school holidays before.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I had assumed you just turn up and book the day before!

definitely not at half term, it might already be too late.

You might find life a lot easier at Easter. And if you've never driven at half term before, prepare for a shock.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy