Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots - broken ankle rivets. Is this normal?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it a common problem for the ski boot's ankle rivets to break or come undone?
What causes it? Or am I somehow putting awesome amounts of lateral pressure on the boot with my gnarlly technique ( unlikely Embarassed )

I'm asking because I've just had the third ankle rivet go in as many years. And I only do a max of 3 weeks skiing a year, albeit as much off-piste as I can get.
Weird, cuz never seen it before in the previous 15 - 20 years of skiing.

Just noticed the third one today, when I picked up my Salomon Quests, and the cuff-piece separated from the shoe-piece.
Before then, had same problem with my Garmont Adrenalin's.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you must be doing something pretty funky, we see the odd one go but not 3 in 3 years... unless of course the first one was a bit of a freak and the last two have not been put in properly or ......

are you talking pressed rivet or screw in type... if the later then the little Allen Key in the box is so that you can tighten it up every so often, lack of basic maintenance is normally the issue with the screw in type, it is a screw and if you flex through it enough it WILL come undone, check every week and use threadlock if you want to be certain
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are talking touring boots, yes it is not unusual for the rivets to break, usual work stresses. Just re-rivet them or replace with bolts.

Are you over weight?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers, guys!
I'll accept it as normal wear & tear, then.
I weigh 86kg, and 180cm tall, so my weight is not execeptional.
My Garmont Adrenalin's (touring boots ) use rivets; and I got the rivets replaced when they broke.
My Salomon Quest's use bolts, and the bolt came unscrewed (and now lost it, darn! ).
I'll learn the lesson and check all the bolts on the boot more regularly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS. Anyone here know where to get the replacement bolt for the ankle rivet for the "Salomon Quest 130" boot?
I've still got the nut and off-set washer that does the cuff adjustment. But no problem with buying the set if I have too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tomahawk Tone, This happens always with Garmont, occasionally with Scarpa. And yes we have lots of Oversized Pivots for Quest Max Pro etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CH2O, who's "we" so I can get in contact and get a replacement? Thanks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tomahawk Tone, Try contacting Salomon Direct in the UK, or go through a UK dealer, we're based in France, it will cost you triple for me to post them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomahawk Tone, i have a pile of them in my workshop but seeing as you would rather deal with a french retailer...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tomahawk Tone, Go through Colin, seems a couple of nuts and bolts will save the UK Ski Business!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CH2O wrote:
Tomahawk Tone, Go through Colin, seems a couple of nuts and bolts will save the UK Ski Business!!!

uk ski business is doing just fine thank you (well for me it is) thanks for asking Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, always happy to help save the British economy! I'll PM you and sort out the details of this massive, business-saving transaction with you Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, Thankyou, the UK Ski business keeps us all in resort in business! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tomahawk Tone wrote:
Cheers, guys!
I'll accept it as normal wear & tear, then.
I weigh 86kg, and 180cm tall, so my weight is not execeptional.

No you are not.

Personally I only use touring gear for...err touring! It is damn expensive and not worth wearing out on lift served skiing. In a day of lift served skiing you can do 5 days worth of touring downhill.

If anyone has Scarpa Maestrals check all the little bolts they have to hold clips on etc, they tend to come loose and vanish. Put thread lock on them and re tighten.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, thanks for sending me the full-gubbins ( bolt / captive nut / offset washer ).
Turned out that I need the nut as well as the bolt.
When I went to re-use the old nut, noticed that the metal spikes that normally hold it in position has broken off.
Now trying to weedle out tiny metal spikes from where they are stuck in the boot shell!
latest report
Tomahawk Tone, I figured it was best to send you a complete part rather than just the bolt... if you can't get them out you could either warm the shell a little and prise them out (the heat makes it a bit easier) or rotate the new one by 45 degrees so that it cuts in away form the originals (assuming that the spikes are not sticking out too much)
snow report
Quote:

In a day of lift served skiing you can do 5 days worth of touring downhill.

??????

Have you invented time travel???? If so, share!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy