Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New intermediate-advanced girls board advice

Poster: A snowHead
I started snowboarding every weekend as I lived in Italy so bought a Salomon Lark 2010/11 as I wanted something to begin on but think it's time to move onwards and upwards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I guess All mountain is best- something good on if poss ok off piste and something to dabble in tricks.. but not 100% sure what stiffness/profile etc would be best..

help please Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boulderem, Sorry, we're being ungentlemanly . . . the problem is I'm a
Quote:
cantankerous old git
and the rest apparently are hiding in the boot room having one on one sex with the latest addition to their board harem rolling eyes Truth is I, and probably they, know nowt about woman's boards and I don't play in the park, a decision preceded by my son's decision to no longer try to avoid me on the deck, but to just treat me as a permanent piece of furniture to practice his ollies over Evil or Very Mad

I ride a traditional, slightly wide board that'll take me anywhere on the hill in any snow condition, not de-tuned for the park. Wish I could help more help. Perhaps if you add your stats we'll get a better idea of what may suit you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought a K2 Fling last season, love it. It's a true twin so ideal for getting into tricks/switch etc. I ride it all over the place, works everywhere. They've discontinued it now, but that just means you can pick one up for half the price I paid if you hunt about the interthingy a bit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
haha thanks Masque for clearing that one up.. Smile to be fair i started on guys boards and it takes a second to understand how to handle them but even some advice about what i should be looking at in terms of the camber/rocker thing would be nice Smile i love snowboarding to bits (as i do surfing) but know next to nothing about the equipment!

and thanks Lizzard for your input too. i'll look into the k2.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Me and the three ladies in my life all ride camber/rocker but its a personal thing, so worth trying a few boards out.

I love surfing too Very Happy

2m swell offshore winds and 35 degrees in the morning Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boulderem, look in sales http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95713 The GNU could be ideal for you. All mountain with enough flex to play and well made. If the size suits and you're a strong rider then I'd hit him with a stick . . . or whatever the girly equivalent is . . . on the price and go enjoy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are tall enough (are you 5' 6" or taller) then consider a board that is not female specific. If you are shorter than this and typical build/weight, most male/general boards will be too long for you.

My main advice would be to find a shop that will let you try a few boards on a rent-to-buy arrangement. You could try a different one each day and see what suited you best and then buy a new version of the one you liked most. Many shops will discount the hire fee if you later buy from them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bar shaker, unfortunately, most board shops (certainly in France) have nothing worth riding in their hire stock, so while you can do that with skis it's pretty much impossible if you want to buy a board.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, It depends on the resort. Tignes and Chamonix are notable exceptions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeh i'd love to try some out.. but obviously it's not the easiest thing to do. i think i'm about 5'5'' but i've used guys boards in the past and they're fine once you get the hang of them.

do both tignes and chamonix have places you can rent-to-buy? is there anywhere else that anyone knows of in the french alps that does the same?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boulderem, so yer about 165cm, have a chat with http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95713 the GNU's a good inter and up trad board. do some research on it and it may suit you well espesh if you chew the price down some more. The size may be a fraction too tall and wide for the park but would be a cracker in big and deep snow.

Just a thought. Could be part of a quiver if you find a little park noodle as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
have messaged the user about the GNU board. thanks for that.. how do longer boards handle on piste for a shorter person.. does it make much of a difference. i think i went with quite a short board last tie- 148cm as i enjoyed the easy to handleness
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boulderem, that'll come to the bridge of your nose. It just means that you won't be able to pressure it as much, you'll need to pedal in the carve and your body positioning over the board will have to be bit more aggressive. The other thing is you will love it in powder, you'll float higher and run a bit faster but turning will be a dodle. It'll be too long to play in the park with any real agility for you. How big are your feet?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
size 5/6 uk size.. why?
i guess my style was aggressive on the other big/men's boards i've used so i got used to that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boulderem, Get him to give you the waist width, If you've an inch or more board between your toes/heels and the board edge it will be hard work to ride from edge to edge.
snow report
Just bought a bataleon Violenza- it's true love
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, wait till yer on an icy cat track . . . you've been warned Confused
ski holidays
Never Summer Infinity.

It will make you happy.
snow report
Masque wrote:
Nadenoodlee, wait till yer on an icy cat track . . . you've been warned Confused

I've never had any issue with TBT boards, really like them.
snow conditions
Why would I be on one of them Masque, ? wink

Very much looking forward to giving it a christening this week in St Anton
snow conditions
We put in a large amount of pre-purchase research and went for a K2 Fling for my daughter. She's reports that it is great.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 13-01-13 19:45; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Nadenoodlee, my Hero was very stiff (just the way I like 'em) and that flat section between your feet acted like a turntable on ice or hardpack. Absolute sod down a narrow busy cat-track as keeping the thing on an edge all the time is too fast for the traffic and bloody tiring . . . great board otherwise.
snow conditions
ahhh Masque, I see.... Fingers crossed its pistey fun for me with minimal ice tracks - only getting 3 days on it this week/ season unless I take it out to Killington in March, possibly Avoriaz at Easter.

I'll be honest I dont really get the whole triple this that and the other - the technicalites of snowboards seem to elude me. I like the colours. And yes the feminist within me is slapping me for even saying it....

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 14-01-13 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, I don't get the technicalities either- that's why i'm asking for advice. just don't really have a clue where to start from (apart from liking the colours) Little Angel

Mollerski, and Lizzard, what year board did you buy? i don't know how much they change year to year.. does it work well well both on and off piste or mainly in the park?
latest report
2012. It's an all mountain board. Not so much park.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-01-13 20:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
boulderem, piste/offpiste, supposed to be good in the park but I wouldn't know. Bought it last season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy