Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Cams

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of getting a helmet cam for upcoming ski trip. I also like a bit of kitesurfing and MTB so thinking it will get some use!! Does anyone have any advice on decent cams out there? I know the Go Pro Hero3 black is supposed to be the badgers nadgers but i think it is a little out of my price range so the options i am looking at are:

Go Pro Hero3 Silver £280 - but i am concerned about battery life and if it is worth the extra cash or should i go for the white edition?
Contour Roam2 £170 - nice price but have heard picture quality suffers
Drift HD £150 - nice price but have heard picture quality suffers

They are all available at the actioncamera website

I am not a hardcore user so won't be looking to produce amazing high quality videos just some reasonable action videos of me and friends doing the sports we love Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a Drift HD and have had no issue with image quality at all.

I filmed this using the Drift

Cambrian from feef
https://vimeo.com/51468889
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A reasonably powerful computer and good editting software are important to consider during you potential purchase.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest looking at a second hand hero 2. This is basically the as hero 3 silver in terms of functionality and image capture quality. The only real downside is the form factor and lack of wifi, remote and screen without buying the bak pack.

You can also get some kite mounts for the gopro now also.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I looked at the hero2 but i was put off by not having the wifi - by the time i have bought the wifi add on would it be much cheaper than the go pro3? I think the wifi would be really useful for using my phone as a remote or to preview videos when away from the pc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Becstar,

without searching ebay I don't know what they are going for second hand, but you could walk into Argos right now and get a brand new Hero2 + wifi back + remote for £265 so I imagine 2nd hand is going to be fair bit cheaper, the official price

Also remember that natively (in terms of the apps) you can't preview the video on the camera over wifi once you have recorded it (at least not in the current version of apps). I do however have some info that will let you take the info off of the cameras without having to take the memory card out, ie directly from phone, pc tablet etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is taken on a gopro hero 2, and I still cant embed things on this bloody forum.

http://youtube.com/v/2ldh5bwPW_U

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 3-01-13 17:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homers double, change the https to just http and it will work.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I'll mention the elephant in the room - 99% of helmet cam footage is deathly boring to anyone other than the cameraperson. And 80% of footage taken is deathly boring even to the cameraperson.

Spend the money on a day private tuition and take some pictures.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers Pie!

Dr John, prescribe yourself some happy pills and cheer up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
OK, I'll mention the elephant in the room - 99% of helmet cam footage is deathly boring to anyone other than the cameraperson. And 80% of footage taken is deathly boring even to the cameraperson.

Spend the money on a day private tuition and take some pictures.

+1 ( The helmet cam makes you look like a sad t..t, take a walkie Talkie as well and look a total w.....) Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:

Point taken on that though, its just a bit of fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am not a Tele Tubby

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/1437/P1060664a.jpg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homers double, indeed sir. To prove no hard feelings, here my one and (possibly) only attempt at a compilation thingy. All pictures and video taken with Lumix TZ10.
http://youtube.com/v/wK5Ps_ggPKw

Apologies in advance for generally low standards of pretty much everything....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, Yep, you were right.

Quote:

99% of helmet cam footage is deathly boring to anyone other than the cameraperson. And 80% of footage taken is deathly boring even to the cameraperson.

Toofy Grin
snow report
Dr John, good news is that you can't really force anyone to watch it. Wink
snow report
helmet cam or other similar footage can be boring as hell as can lots of other footage, the real trick to making it interesting for others is to narate a story. 27 minutes of the same people gong down a similar slope is like great uncle freds slide show from the 1970's boring as hell unless you were actually there and it provokes memories.

So here is a question. If i gave you a camera and provided an outline of the set of shots to get do you think i could make it vaguely interesting for someone else?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 3-01-13 20:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tiger2, innit.

meh, good news for all concerned.
snow report
Bought a contour roam2 before my week in tignes, couldn't recommend it enough, good quality picture, so simple to use, either off or recording so no standby and never ran out of battery
ski holidays
I use a Contour Roam 2 for work, shooting angling stuff, but I'll be taking mine with me in a few weeks to the Alps, rude not to Wink

Just trying to work out the best mount - flat surface rotating mount stuck to helmet or goggle strap mount? I'm thinking the flat surface mount will probably the one with the least vibration but the goggle strap mount will be the most secure (because of the leash). Anyone got any opinions?

Also trying to work out the best pole mount... seems to be loads of telescopic ebay specials for about £25 that go from 20cm to about 60cm for easy storage, but thinking they might be a bit gash in quality. Ski pole with clamp-type mount maybe?
ski holidays
Sorry for posting: if you wear a helmet why are you going to put a cam on it?

Point of a helmet- to protect your head.

Cam on helmet- is a solid object right next to your helmet- if you fall on that side then it will endanger your head-.

This makes no sense at all.

Wear a helmet

Wear a cam

But why put a cam on your helmet???

Or on your chest (fractured ribs)

On a pole- sure.

On your head with no helmet- why not?
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
Sorry for posting: if you wear a helmet why are you going to put a cam on it

/SNIP/

Where there's no sense, there's no feeling in my case.

And anyway, capturing the awesomeness of pulling three inches of air down on the beginner slopes (and the subsequent tens of Youtube hits) is far more important Wink
snow report
I've got a gopro hero 3 Silver

No matter what you get I think the main thing is to get various shots from different angles, not just from the helmet position

Don't forget to change the playback quality to 720p once you've clicked play if watching on youtube on a pc

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c
OR
Le Grand Bornand Christmas 2012 - Snowboarding + Skiing - Gopro Hero 3 Silver from Streaty1984
https://vimeo.com/56485754
snow conditions
I have the gopro hero 3 silver edition, battery life does suffer a bit in the cold but the quality if far superior than anything else on the market. To solve the battery problem I bought 2 wasabi gopro compatible batteries off amazon for £20 and carry them around with me so I can use them when available. Far cheaper than buying the Bacpack from gopro. here is a video using the silver from the week before christmas in les arcs

http://youtube.com/v/fUzKT_qAtms
ski holidays
The gopro's have a battery heater built in, this is a double edged sword as it drains power to keep the battery warm, I would suggest using the neoprene cases to keep the camera warm.
ski holidays
Snow Dragon,

much more entertaining than most POV edits. Good work.

POV filming: 8/10
Choice of skis: 9/10
Pants: a generous 3/10! Man, they hurt my eyes!
snow report
Specialman, I have Contour GPS (which is superb and not getting into v Hero debate on this post;) ) originally tried the goggle strap mount with helmet but the vibration is noticeable. Highly recommend the rotating 3M backed flat mount on a helmet. Not only is it a breeze to change angle/ change front to back/ mount/dismount but its also vibration free (and it looks better than the standard GoPro 'giraffe' mount!)

If fitted correctly, 3M pad is very secure but for peace of mind I add a clip on/off secure cord attached to camera and helmet strap
snow conditions
Got a Ion air pro for £ 160 on Sport Pursuit , fantastic quality, waterproof out of the box, easy to mount and turn in any direction, and 3 hr plus battery life; no complaints.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

On your head with no helmet- why not?

The same reason anyone ever wears a helmet?

Cool vid snowscreen
latest report
Went for the go pro hero3 silver in the end - looking forward to getting some film no one will ever watch now Neh Neh
ski holidays
andyman, +1, same set up as mine.
snow conditions
See some people on here think that a gopro can do nothing else bar film blue runs however I recently went to Thailand and did a bit of (rather tame to other people) white water rafting with my wife and son and stuck my gopro on my lid.

How else would I have captured such an event other than via helmet cam?
snow report
Snow Dragon,

As someone who finds reds a challenge, watching the footage from 4:13 to 4:22 makes my head spin. I cannot imagine being able to do that!

chemistry
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy