Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gotamas or Katanas?

Poster: A snowHead
Decision time. My 184 Mantras are reaching end of their natural life, having survived more abuse than necessary. Looking at replacing with something a little wider as good tho they are everywhere else the Mantras are a little more difficult than I'd like in deep chop and they have a speed limit on wide open, and found a good deal on 2010 Katanas in 190 or 2010 Gotamas in 186. I tend to ski quite quickly and a long time ago had a racing background so am more of a carver than a nu-skool slarver. Anyone skied both? Still looking for reasonable front-side performance for big GS turns on piste/in the hard stuff, tho have my race skis if ever I wanted to do a piste-oriented week and could always pack the Mantras if it's looking like a no-new-snow back-country week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a very good deal so got Mantra and a Katana, and tested all three. Also they are a few seasons old and i think the Mantra has a softer/rocker tip now.
So you can see if we agree on the mantra:- acceptable on piste, not good in moguls, very stable until as you say you open up into big turns on an open face. They can dive a bit in powder. I find them great in fresh chop but i have a Duke on them which makes them heavy so they go where pointed.

The Katana( jester binding) improves the open face big turns where they are really stable but in powder and chop still surprisingly easy to turn. I definitely wouldn't buy them for on piste skiing/carving on hard pack, the Mantra is better. I view my Katanas as a powder day ski and couldnt really see a place for the Gotama when i tested them against the others.

Hope that helps, no doubt there will be many different views. The Duke is too heavy so would not buy again.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonathan Bell, thanks, I find the Mantras the same, particularly in the pow. They're not bad on harder-pack wide open or in slush/crud but I was a little reluctant opening the taps when it's pretty soft and floaty underfoot for fear of going over the handlebars. I think my head may have been turned a bit by the epic powder day we had in St Anton last week, but days like that don't come along that frequently. Seems like a Katana wouldn't be that ideal as a Euro one-ski quiver and would need complementing with a Mantra or Kendo style ski, though I don't like the sound of a softer tail on the new Mantras. Will probably hold off purchasing until I get the chance to test some other boards, still like the idea of a DPS 112 or stiffer Rossi S7-shape ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting chat chaps. I can't see beyond my Mantras for just about everything a varied day can throw at you, including enjoying the piste access - other than if I knew it was going to be super deep light powder all day, something a little more attuned might be nicer.

They are perfectly fine in bumps mind you...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob, I know you were in St Anton over Christmas, I skied with Cedric on 28th and he shot down to meet you in the Underground after a beer in Griabli - we'd been playing out on Rendl North Face all morning in deep pow and then pm down Schoengraben and gully under Galzig etc with Torben epic day......must admit to running on empty tank late pm , got dehydrated, hungry and tired, not enough fluids late on, bad mistake not to be repeated! I skied that day on my 191 WD Redeemers and loved them, with Dukes they are heavy but perfect for bashing that deep pow IMO. The following 2 days I switched to my 11/12 184 Mantra's (rockered version changed under warranty after I buckled a 10/11 non-rockered ski in March 12), and found the rocker version much improved in the powder vs the non-rockered version I had had previously, also much better at speed belting down to Rauz. In summary a much more versatile cross-over ski than my previous 2 pairs of non-rockered Mantras, much better in the powder, tips stayed up better and easier on moguls.

I once skied a pair of Gotamas for the day in Verbier, and they felt numb and lifeless........... heard good things about Katana's but cant say, also the Shiro for big pow days look great. Liked the look of Cedric's DPD's though, if I was in the market for a pow ski and these were at the right price I'd like a bash on them. Personally I think a 2 ski quiver with QK's is the answer, I'm really happy with the rockered Mantras, and just wish the carbon Redeemers were cheaper, the extra lightness must be a winner.........that's my next punt if they come down in price next season.

Dont know if this helps, but like you said we were well spoilt on 28-30th, fantastic eh? Back in 4 weeks after its dropped a load more by the end of January. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
...switched to my 11/12 184 Mantra's (rockered version changed under warranty after I buckled a 10/11 non-rockered ski in March 12...

Interesting, mine are showing the edge/base pulling away from the rest of the ski under the heel of one of the skis. Did you get a warranty replacement through a shop? Only done about 10 weeks on them (tho skied them pretty hard) so expected better life than this. If they were still fine then I'd have bought some Katanas already and rocked them as a two-ski quiver (I usually take my slalom skis with me but have only skied them for two days in the last three years), but I think I need to replace the Mantras first, though if I do decide to get some soft snow boards then something equally stiff but a little narrower (like a Kendo or a Kastle MX88) could be better for the mixed days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideshow_Bob, Will send you a PM re the Mantras.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
=======> www.sportpursuit.com current sale, if noone else has mentioned it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo wrote:
=======> www.sportpursuit.com current sale, if noone else has mentioned it.

That's why I was only looking at Volkls Smile Current Mantras are a 184, considering the 191s (or Kendos in a 184) plus some Katanas but running out of time to make a decision and may leave it until I get a chance to test. SP have been known to do deals on Dynastars too so may hold out and see if they do a LP 105 or the interesting looking Cham 107 (I like a slightly tighter turn radius for railing turns on the hard stuff)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideshow_Bob, i have a pair of 194 Dynastar Legend Pro xxls gathering dust. are you man enough??? (I'm not - which is why they are gathering dust)

brian, who I haven't seen round here for a while, had some Katanas last time I saw him and he seemed really pleased with them. he's a pretty strong skier and they worked well in most conditions. looked like you could carve them on piste, but probably not something you'd want to spend all day doing

have you seen the DPS 112 RPC? Stiffer and less sidecut - might be interesting?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd vote for the Goats, based only on girth and therefore probable useability.

I used to like them in pre-rocker days, and I still see 112 underfoot as being saved for new snow days only.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, i have a pair of 194 Dynastar Legend Pro xxls gathering dust. are you man enough???

Bit too straight for me for a daily driver, tho if you're shifting your 112s I'll take those off your hands Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob, i think i'll be keeping the 112s until they break or wear out, I'm afraid
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blizzard Cochise?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the Volkl deal on SP expired, but they have some pretty decent bargains on K2s. Anyone skied the Hardside? Wondering about it as a daily driver Mantra replacement.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
So the Volkl deal on SP expired, but they have some pretty decent bargains on K2s. Anyone skied the Hardside? Wondering about it as a daily driver Mantra replacement.

Not skied it, but have been perusing the reviews... Sounds like a stiffer ski than the Coomback and has similar dimensions to the Mantra. Have to say I am extremely tempted... I have never bought a ski without demoing first so I'm probably not going to do it right now, but if I get the chance I might try and demo a pair.
snow report
Hi Bob,
Used to ski Mantras - sold a 6 year old pair just before Xmas ....... I have been on Gotamas for couple of years - superb ski pretty much everywhere ...... but noticed last year on SOPB in La Grave that they are definitely not great at holding an edge on a hard/icy traverse - guess it's the rocker. Sharky and Nick on the Powdairs held a much higher line.
So I have just ordered some K2 Coombacks and am putting Barons on them ..... from Edge and Wax .... but just noticed the Sportpursuit K2 offer which looks a steal albeit for the older year version. Thought about Hardside too.
latest report
PBJ, you seemed to hold a reasonable edge down a rather icy Banane, and I don't recall Nick getting an edge anywhere Smile
snow report
Thanks Bob - it was a great trip and yes - Really love the Gotamas ..... but still felt a touch insecure on icy exposed pitches !
Is the OP bash happening this year ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy