Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which women's carving ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Am looking for a new pair of carving skis to replace old K2 One luvs that chatter when carving at speed and don't have enough torsional stiffness and perfom fairly poorly in ice etc.

I am looking for pure carvers to handle the ice and hardpack prevalent at nakiska, where I do a lot of skiing. I also have some Dynastar 84mm which are good and do well for more all mountain stuff and powdery stuff and slushy stuff; so I am really looking for a hardpack ski to add to my quiver

I want advanced/expert carvers and am so far considering the following:

Rossignol Attraction 8s which I demoed a few weekends ago. Liked these (much better than current K2s)but they are 75mm underfoot and I had been thinking narrower
.Head Mya Nr 7; this is narrower underfoot more like 68

I am 5 ft 4 and around 130lbs (and the wrong side of 40).

So anyone have any experince of these or any similar skis to recommend?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If short snappy turns are your thing then maybe try the atomic cloud d2. K2 superburnin (was burning luv) is a great carver and the salamon origins lava is well worth a demo too.
Not tried either of the skis you mention but I learned on head skis so have a soft spot for them and the rossis were well reviewed on the ski diva website.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got my daughter the Blizzard Viva Ultrasonic Full Suspension IQ which are 73mm, helped her skiing greatly and she loves them. She did her BASI1 on them. I think Blizzards are pretty common in Canada.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gryphea, I have Rossignol Attraxion 8s used for 3 seasons now. They are great on icy hardpack, really hold an edge well and I have never had any problems with flapping at speed. They are a heavy ski which seems to suit me (I'm a heavy person after all). However, the downside to the combination of heavy skis and heavy person is that I'm not good at slush, I tend to stop dead/sink and struggle to keep moving. This is probably just as much a technique/fitness issue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea, A 155cm slalom ski would be the thing Atomic, Élan; Salomon would be the easiest transition as they tend not to be so stiff. S/H full race bargains can be bought but make sure the binding does not have a starting din of 12. A slalom ski is a one trick pony so does nothing else than you describe you want on anything else other than hard piste, in soft they will submarine unless you are a professional. Buy a pair and a file and good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lilywhite, +1 for the Superburnin'. I've got the Burnin' Luvs from a couple of seasons ago, crackin' pair of planks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Guys

Some good tips here.

lilywhite, Tordi, I'll check out superburning , but I am slightly worried its not stiff enough; I'll look into others. Superburning is easily avalaible here.
Claude B, this does look like a possibility from thier website, but I rarely see blizzards here, I'll look into where I can get them
queen bodecia, yes I did think they were a touch heavy, or they seemed it whislt I was carrying them
Cynic, ahhh the slalom ski. All the ski club dads tried the rossi just off world cup slalom ski (forgotten what it is called) and loved it; all came back with gleeful faces. Slightly worried a slalom ski would be too much ski and i wouldn't be able to do nice GS turns? The Head is really a fakish slalom ski; its the same as the mens i ski, but women's . I don't mind a ski that's no good in soft, my 84s are narrow enough that they are fine on softer days

Thnaks guys
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gryphea, not sure about the newest model but my Burnin' Luvs are a solid and heavy ski. No chatter and good edge hold.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gryphea, The superburnin is a big step up from the one luvs, my first ski was the tru luv, superburnin is a beast by comparison!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Slightly worried a slalom ski would be too much ski and i wouldn't be able to do nice GS turns?

Cynic, is right, the 155s will be lady's skis so you'll love em! bend very easily longitudinally but enough torsional stiffness to give you the edge hold!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gryphea wrote:
Slightly worried a slalom ski would be too much ski and i wouldn't be able to do nice GS turns?

Why not try something like the Salamon race GS ski, a bit more forgiving than the Lab and they will deff do 'nice GS turns'.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/2v-race-powerline---z14-speed.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gryphea, I agree with lilywhite and would look at the Atomic Cloud series, I currently ski an Atomic womens ski a predecessor to these, and I really rate it for edge hold. A couple of seasons ago my hubby was complaining about his skis on the hardpack and I sent him out on mine for a run and although they were a bit short for him he was really surprised at the edge hold (then again that could have been Spyderjon's tune Toofy Grin ) Although I notice these are a bit fatter now than mine. The other ski which was on my shortlist at the time was the Volkl Fuego, I bet that is really stiff and great on hardpack/ice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Superburning gals

Is the standard binding a marker squire 11?

I ask becuase I can get some really good value superburnings, 2012 and the binding is marker squire 11. its not clear from the k2 website what it should be and the marker website seems to imply this is a free ski, freestyle binding?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was the superburnin I was on, deffo marker bindings but can't remember specifics sorry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gryphea wrote:
Superburning gals

Is the standard binding a marker squire 11?

No, the "standard binding" is a Marker system binding (ERS). Skis can also be bought flat and mounted with any binding which is what has been done in this case.
snow report
Another vote for Rossignol Attraxion 8, they feel very solid on icy slopes and my carving is really coming on with them snowHead
snow conditions
OK, so have now ruled out the K2 pair as it sounds like the skis do much better with the appropriate binding (thanksSkise, )

So , now have a choice of the following:
2012 Rossie Attraction 8s (~$450) (154)
2012 Dynastar Exlusive Elite (~$300) (153 or 159, I'd get 153)
2012 Volkl Feugos (~$450) (151 or 158) (I'm thinking 151)

All include the appropriate binding that the manufacture sells it with; all include shipping and seem good deals.

So had some comments on the Rossies, any advice on the other two?
snow conditions
I tried the Fuegos on the same day I demoed a pair of the Volkl SLs (racetiger?) and they were great, just a smidge softer but same snappy feel. I've not been keen on the women's K2 skis I've tried but maybe that means of you like K2 you won't like Volkls ( sorry no help)
snow conditions
gryphea, I had the Rossis a few seasons ago, I liked them a lot but swapped them for a similar specced Atomic ski. For me the Rossis were a tiny smidge soft and the Atomics just that bit stiffer and I feel they suit me better (I am fairly heavy). I skied a similar Volkl hire ski a few seasons ago and loved it which is why I'd be really keen to try the Fuegos. No experience of Dynastar but pretty sure Pedantica skis that ski you mention and not skied K2s since skis were skinny Laughing Good luck with choosing snowHead
snow conditions
gryphea wrote:
OK, so have now ruled out the K2 pair as it sounds like the skis do much better with the appropriate binding (thanksSkise, )

Squire might be totally appropriate binding, just not the standard. Squire is a quite light binding, so flat Superburnin + squire may be lighter that Superburnin with the system binding (didn't find the weight for Superburnin +/- system binding so couldn't check if this actually is the case). I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about how Squires ski, but some people have commented they have trouble clicking in to them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy