Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder and Skiier in need of advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, me and a friend are looking to go on a snowboarding / skiing holiday in February or March and are in need of advice.

I'm 24, my only real experience of skiing was a school trip when I was 16 in Saas Grund / Saas Fee in Switzerland. Since then I've only ski'd once which was this year at the Snowdome, but I picked it back up again fairly quickly and felt confident.

My friend is confident boarder and went two years ago to Tignes.

Our first questions relate to where and when. When I went on the school trip I remember the snow at Saas grund being quite 'icey', as if it had melted and frozen again, it wasn't the best to ski on. But when we moved up the mountain to Saas Fee it was far more powder like. This was in March and the weather was fantastic, very warm and sunny. We would like to try and achieve that balance again if possible.

Location wise Andorra had been mentioned due to theory of it being good value. We need flights, accommodation, ski/board hire and a lift pass. We are also looking for somewhere with a bit of night life, something to do in the evenings.

Apologies for my vagueness and lack of knowledge

Thanks

George
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many resorts in Austria would fit your requirements as it has usually fulfilled mine which is quite similar to yours.
I usually go early feb (any time in Feb should be good apart from half term), but even then in Austria it can be a bit of a punt with the snow conditions due to the low altitude of some of it's resorts. Last year we had amazing snow and it was very cold; in previous years it's been icy mornings followed by slushy afternoons because of the heat (10c).
One thing is pretty certain is the nightlife, you can have it as late as you want it.
Usual deals can be found at Sol, Mayrhofen etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Disaster, but it doesn't sound like the snow is very reliable in Austria?

Current suggestions from other sources include:

Cervinia Italy
Serre Chevalier
Les Arcs
La Plagne
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow conditions can be a punt anywhere. Remember that the British half term isn't the only holiday - check for Dutch, German, French and Austrian ones too, before deciding on a date.

And not all Austrian resorts have all night raucous night life, some are quiet and peaceful (thankfully).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Tania in the 3v's - easy to get to, nice skiing, conditions should be good (but as mentioned they may not be anywhere as that is the nature of the weather) take a look at latania.co.uk for more info.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Exactly,
You could keep an eye on the forecast and go super last minute, you might miss out on the best deals this way, bet then again you might find a bargain.
Last year I missed out on all the cheap package deals by about a week so went DIY to Kitzbuhel and lucked out on a room at a Hostel.
Great time though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

snow conditions can be a punt anywhere

^^that.
Ignore the fact that some Austrian resorts are lower than some Swiss, French etc. resorts. There are also many that are higher, and many with access to a glacier. Only once have I found too little snow to ski, and that trip wasn't in Austria (although we still managed a full 6days out of 6 in the next village).

Every time I skied Mayrhofen for example, has been in March, and knee-high powder on piste. And a knee-high traipse through snow down in town to go from the hotel annex to breakfast.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
UCPA if VFM is important then Tignes is back on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you don't say what your budget is?

Agree UCPA (action outdoors) is good value for money as you get all food, lift pass, hire, lessons and accommodation included in the price. They also sort out transfers for like £80. Can not be beaten for experience and VFM if you require hit hire.

Added advantage with the two of you being at different levels is you will have people to ski/board with, and then you can ski together on the non lesson times.

The top level groups are of a very good standard and they also do off piste courses if that takes your boarder friends fancy. I hadn't had lessons for, oooh ,must be about 8 years and LOVED my UCPA lessons last year.

Tignes, Val D or Val T in march woudl all be good bets for you and UCPA. Val T has twin rooms too so you wouldn't have to do multi-share.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Budget is around £600ish including Half Board accommodation, flights and ski pass - if this is even possible?

I had a quick look at UCPA but we'd like the freedom of going alone, and maybe hiring a guide or a tutor when we are there if needed?

It's only myself that will require kit hire, and that'll probably only be skis and poles.

Thanks,

George
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Budget is around £600ish including Half Board accommodation, flights and ski pass - if this is even possible?

unlikely, except in UCPA. You don't need to take tuition (though it's an exceptionally fine idea if you ever want to be any good) there are UCPA holidays without tuition included. Board is full board - no expensive lunches to buy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Which package would you recommend for us?

Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Yes, if you go somewhere poo-poo, stay somewhere horrible and go super low season. Bulgaria is cheap. Nah, to be fair, as there are two of you if you leave it super last minute you might be able to get a decent catered chalet deal for £400-500 each, but then you would need to buy ski pass (£200 ish in most resorts) and hire will cost you another £80-100 maybe. Plus lunches.

I always count on a off-peak ski week NOT including lessons or hire to be a grand, easy. £600 on chalet board accommodation and flights, £200 lift pass, £10-15 a day on lunch and another £100 spends for apres drinks and meal on chalet night off. I find self catered to be a false economy as you will eat out more. You can obviously cut down the lunch spend if you are

Quote:

and maybe hiring a guide or a tutor when we are there if needed

I don't think you are after a guide (unless you have mad skilz?)

I think you need to do some more research on what you want out of your holiday and how much things cost.

Quote:

Which package would you recommend for us?

What package? UCPA? Probably half time lessons as then you will get half way decent while still having time with your mate. But I wouldn't recommend you go on UCPA unless you are actually interested in the group ethos and having a laugh with other people. If you just want to hang out with you friend it isn't the place to go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
George 3G wrote:

Absolutely picked at random:

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/austria/kitzbuehel_alps/kitzbuehel/gasthof_hechenmoos/accommodation.html

March 17th, Kitzbuhel half board, including lift pass for 339 quid.

Let's allow 100 quid for gear hire.

That gives you 161 for flights and transfer per person.

Sounds tight but pretty close!

Edit: oh you said you only need 1 pair of skis between two of you. In that case the per-person hire cost is about 40 quid. Over 200 quid pp for flights and x-fers. Yay, I'm well in on my first 5-minute attempt!

Shop around on Snowtrex would be my personal advice. I've used them before, they're good and very cheap (albeit some of the accommodation offered is a little basic).

They sporadically do 'crazy booking nights' with some nice discounts. They specialize in self-catered, but as above there are some HB offers on there too.

Good luck.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 3-01-13 15:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also, anyone making generalizations about snow conditions 'in Austria' is being extremely foolish.
snow report
Maybe something like this is a better idea, saving money with a last minute holiday and going the middle to end of this month:

http://www.igluski.com/saas-fee/chalet-hotel-ambassador_p20392?holidayid=41073940#

Includes flights and transfers and has good reviews on trip advisor.

I obviously need to do a lot more research and get a better understanding of what we want out of the trip.

My friend doesn't need to hire any gear, and he said he can go to £700 maximum for accommodation, flights, transfers and ski pass
snow report
When it was just me and hubby we used to book last minute deals for Early Jan or pre Christmas in December, I haven't seen the sort deals we used to get for several years but if you are happy to go any sure and not fussy about your accommodation then it is a good way to go however don't under estimate the cost of lift passes the first two times we went we paid more in lift passes and ski the true catered chalet, flights and transfer. Oh and don't forget about getting travel insurance not the much in the scheme of things but still important.
snow conditions
Is it recommend to pre book the lift passes and ski hire?

Once again thanks for everyone's advice and patience, it's all greatly appreciated
ski holidays
George 3G, I have never once pre booked lift passes or hire. Ski resorts are full of places that sell both, never understood why people rush around before hand pre booking things. It's just one more thing to possibly go wrong. Arrive in resort, go to ski hire shop, pick gear, get fitted, buy pass in shop or if they dont sell them, walk to lift station, buy pass and off you go. Job done!
ski holidays
Ok that clears that up! Once again apologies for my lack of knowledge
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
George 3G, I have never once pre booked lift passes or hire. Ski resorts are full of places that sell both, never understood why people rush around before hand pre booking things. It's just one more thing to possibly go wrong. Arrive in resort, go to ski hire shop, pick gear, get fitted, buy pass in shop or if they dont sell them, walk to lift station, buy pass and off you go. Job done!

Pre booking ski hire is usually alot cheaper than "paying on the day" plus in my experience its always quicker as they have all your details on their system.
Try this discount code for Skiset for an extra 10% of internet price
MULTI91CE

Phil
latest report
Thanks Phil!

I'm down to two choices now, either go late this month or early March. My friend and I will have a good look at different resorts this weekend, at the moment we are favouring Andorra, France, Switzerland or Italy, but we'll make a short list of resorts!

Are all the resorts about as expensive as each other?

Are there any advantages to a half board hotel over a catered chalet? At the moment we are favouring the idea of a chalet!

Thanks

George
latest report
you will most likely get free wine in the catered chalet, but not in the hotel (unless its a chalet hotel).

downside of a chalet is you have to eat with the other people in the chalet, which is fine, unless there is a some sort of clicky group thing.

Upside of a chalet is yu have to eat with people who may be intesting.
snow report
Personally I prefer catered chalets, I like the fact you get breakfast, afternoon tea waiting for you ( typically hot drinks and cake) and evening meal including wine.

I now pre-book skis usin somewhere like AlpinResorts for skis but don't bother with lift passes. If you end up going through a tour operator you may well find you can buy the lift pass of the TO on the transfer bus, I have done that a number of times.
snow report
George 3G, you don't say what level your friend is at, but it sounds like he's perhaps an intermediate and you are a beginner intermediate. As a condequence, what I'd possibly suggest you do to keep costs down is (and these are a bit of a generalisation, there are often exceptions):

Stay away from the really large resorts with huge ski areas; these are often more expensive than smaller ski areas, and unless you're towards the advanced/expert end of the scale you probably won't make the most of such an extensive area (in fact as a beginner/intermediate you may actually appreciate a slightly smaller ski area).

Travel in January or mid to late March, particularly if travelling to France. These are the least busy and cheaper times of year for the major tour operators.

Try to stay away from the traditional holidays (half term and to a lesser extent Easter can be more pricey).

If you can, book last minute. Crystal/Thomson are currently showing £219 pp for flights, transport and a week of self-catered accommodation in Avoriaz that leaves on Saturday.

Keep an eye and do some research of the major tour operators and the deals they offer (Crystal/Thomson, Neilson, Inghams, Total Ski, DirectSki are the largest tour operators; igluski and ifyouski plus others are good online travel agents). Some offers will include free or two-for-one lift passes, or other deals on hire equipment.

So long as you do plenty of research and travel outside of the main times, you should be able to find somewhere for £600 that ticks your boxes. Being more of a novice fo ski holidays you may find it easier to go through a tour operator (and in actual fact if you get a good deal they can often work out cheaper than it would cost doing it all yourself).
ski holidays
But also, looking at your budget and your ability levels, Andorra may well be a good shout for you. Its pretty cheap, its a decent sized ski area (depending where you go) and it has a lively nightlife with a fairly youngish crowd.
snow report
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm making notes of everything Very Happy

We are aiming to go the last two weeks of January or the first two weeks of March

So far our shortlist of countries / resorts consists of:

Andorra
Soldeu
Pas de la casa

France
Serre Chevalier
Les Arcs
La Plagne
Val d'Isere
Tignes
Courchevel
Meribel
Val Thorens
Les Deux Alpes
Avoriaz
Chamonix

Italy
Cervinia
Bardonecchia
Santa Caterina
Caspoggio
Aprica
Molveno
Sestriere

Switzerland
Saas Fee

Austria
Ischgl
St Anton
Mayrhofen
Solden

Our main factors to consider seem to be:
Price of accommodation/flights/transfer
Price of food and drink within the resort
Altitude of Resort (Minimum peak altitude 2000m)
Transfer time from airport to resort
How well the slopes are suited to our ability
Nightlife
Locality of accommodation to slopes

Tour operators we will be comparing:
Igluski
Neilson
Crystal
Inghams

If anyone can add to any of the above lists or dismiss any of the suggested resorts I’d appreciate it. It’s all helping us greatly!
ski holidays
George 3G wrote:
If anyone can add to any of the above lists

I think it's probably time to start subtracting from those lists...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Piehole wrote:
George 3G wrote:

Very Happy
ski holidays
George 3G, Livigno in Italy would be perfect for you if you could handle the slightly longer transfer, but even this is only around 3 hours if you go from Innsbruck rather than Bergamo or Brescia. It's tax free too so food/drink/hire/lessons are very very cheap by alpine standards. The food is seriously good Italian stuff, theres lots of fun apres to be had, the skiing is high altitude (1800-3000m) with plenty of pistes for beginners and intermediates, and it's a lovely old alpine town. Nice place to spend a week if you can find a good deal.
latest report
could do a lot worse than here....

http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/ski-holiday-price-and-availability
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:
George 3G wrote:

My thinking is to make a list of all the recommended resorts, then at the weekend take a good look online and start crossing them off to create a short list. Most of those will be crossed off due to price.

element wrote:
George 3G, Livigno in Italy would be perfect for you if you could handle the slightly longer transfer, but even this is only around 3 hours if you go from Innsbruck rather than Bergamo or Brescia. It's tax free too so food/drink/hire/lessons are very very cheap by alpine standards. The food is seriously good Italian stuff, theres lots of fun apres to be had, the skiing is high altitude (1800-3000m) with plenty of pistes for beginners and intermediates, and it's a lovely old alpine town. Nice place to spend a week if you can find a good deal.

That sounds great! I've had a quick look and at the moment accommodation looks too expensive, but it does sound exactly what we are looking for, so we'll investigate further!

ansta1 wrote:
could do a lot worse than here....

http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/ski-holiday-price-and-availability

Also looks good!

Keep them coming please
snow conditions
Today we are trying to make a shortlist, taking various factors into consideration. One factor that's stumbled us is the Piste lengths in kms. They seem to range from as little as 100km to 1200km.

What would be the minimum for a good week for an intermediate boarder and skier? We would like to try a range of slopes and then probably stick to one or two favourites

Thanks

George
snow report
George 3G wrote:

I'm sure someone has probably already said this, but altitude is not the only factor to consider re: certainty of snow cover / additional snow fall.

The Eastern Alps of Austria are subject to a fundamentally different generic weather system than the Western Alps of, for instance, the Haute Savoie. Weather in Tignes, for example, and this is of course a sweeping generalisation, is more likely to to influenced by systems heading East / North East from the Atlantic / Mediterranean. In the Eastern end of Austria, weather tends to head South or South East, driven by cold air from Russia.

I say this because, having ridden across a variety of regions in the Alps, there is plenty of great skiing in Austria at resorts which you may currently be ruling out on the basis of altitude; they get just as good snowfall, often better, due to the cold weather system, despite their altitude being possibly lower than elsewhere. Also, in country, you will find that your EURO beer vouchers will go much further in Austria than in France.

All of that said, I'm driving to Tignes next Saturday! BUT, I'll also be going to Austria in March, do not expect to be above 1800m unless I'm touring and conditions suit trying to reach a peak and fully expect to ski great snow, eat great food and do so with less damage to my wallet than I will in France.
latest report
Well we haven't been able to make as much progress today as hoped, but we did decide to knock Andorra, France and Switzerland off the list. France and Switzerland due to price, and Andorra due to, well, we just want to go to the alps!

We are now stuck between Italy and Austria. We have decided we want to stay in a Half Board hotel rather than a self catered chalet due to not knowing who we may end up sharing the chalet with, and not having a choice of food.

Budget for accommodation, flights and transfers is strictly £550, absolute maximum.

Where would you recommend?

Thanks!
snow report
If budget is the primary consideration I'd ditch the list of resorts, just pick a date and see whats available the week before! Late deal definitely the way forward for just two and either 19th/26th Jan (good snow) or 16th/23rd March (more time to plan, sunny)

e.g. this for 19th jan: http://www.igluski.com/les-deux-alpes/clubhotel-le-provencal_p15380?holidayid=59959599 £300
http://www.igluski.com/la-rosiere/chalet-papillon-5_p22795?holidayid=61963440 £399

16Th March deal in Austria:http://www.igluski.com/soll/hotel-agerhof_p1347?holidayid=60319298

this is a great deal this year for most dates, but sauze snow is probably only good if you go Jan not late March: http://www.igluski.com/sauze-d-oulx/hotel-miosotis_p30821?holidayid=62052908 - just got back from another hotel on a similar deal in sauze and it was great.

To answer your question on piste extent for a couple of second weekers I don't think it will matter, anything claiming more than 100k will be fine. Anything above around 400k tends to be impractical to really access and somewhat academic.

Happy Hunting!
ski holidays
Thanks AJ, I'd spotted that hotel in Les Deux Alples before but we dismissed it because we'd heard the slopes had a lot of flat spots?

La Rosiere looks good though!

Any more suggestions would be appreciated!
ski holidays
zammo wrote:
George 3G wrote:

I'm sure someone has probably already said this, but altitude is not the only factor to consider re: certainty of snow cover / additional snow fall.

The Eastern Alps of Austria are subject to a fundamentally different generic weather system than the Western Alps of, for instance, the Haute Savoie. Weather in Tignes, for example, and this is of course a sweeping generalisation, is more likely to to influenced by systems heading East / North East from the Atlantic / Mediterranean. In the Eastern end of Austria, weather tends to head South or South East, driven by cold air from Russia.

I say this because, having ridden across a variety of regions in the Alps, there is plenty of great skiing in Austria at resorts which you may currently be ruling out on the basis of altitude; they get just as good snowfall, often better, due to the cold weather system, despite their altitude being possibly lower than elsewhere. Also, in country, you will find that your EURO beer vouchers will go much further in Austria than in France.

All of that said, I'm driving to Tignes next Saturday! BUT, I'll also be going to Austria in March, do not expect to be above 1800m unless I'm touring and conditions suit trying to reach a peak and fully expect to ski great snow, eat great food and do so with less damage to my wallet than I will in France.

I'd second that. Just returned from a week in the Hochkonig (shh, it is on the up...) and we wouldn't believe the crazy Austrian man saying there would be a metre of new snow on Friday night. We then spent the best half day in years charging around the lifts no higher than 2000 metres bagging thigh deep stuff. Almost missed the flight home because of it!
snow conditions
Quote:

I'd spotted that hotel in Les Deux Alples before but we dismissed it because we'd heard the slopes had a lot of flat spots?

Les Deux Alpes is a good resort - so is La Rosiere, though I would say that most intermediate snowboarders would prefer the former. But I thought you'd knocked France off your list? And you definitely don't want to go to France the first two weeks of March, which are Paris holidays and will be very busy, and accommodation expensive.

As someone else said, wait for a last minute deal, and see where it is, then look up the place. Rather than having pre-determined ideas.

As for booking hired gear in advance, you can get big discounts, that's why people do it - shop around, and if in France try skimium.com. Walking in off the street on the day guarantees you pay top price, like rack rates in hotels.
snow report
Yea, I realise now we were doing it the wrong way by trying to decide on a resort then find the best price. We're going to flip our system in reverse now, we are definitely going the last couple of weeks of January, maybe slightly into the beginning of February. We are going to find every deal under £500 from the below list of operators (I don't think I've missed any?!), print it off and then eliminate them until we have five or so left, then if we still can't decide we will ask for advice on here.

Igluski
Neilson
Crystal
Inghams
Ifyouski
Directski
Snowtrex
Skiworld
Totalski

Thanks

George
snow report