Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts near Salzburg with stuff for non-skiiers to do ? ? ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
We're looking for a cheap break in a resort near Salzburg (1-2 hours) while passing through to Slovakia and we were just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for the first week of March.

Musts
-------
- Needs stuff for non-skiers (swimming pool, spa etc, family sledging tracks etc).
- Cheap lift passes for 2/3 days
- Good value eating and drinking places (much less than 24E for a burger and fries ala France)
- 1-2 hours from Salzburg
- Preferably tree lined ( who doesn't like trips through or around the trees)
- Some snow (good snow for start of March )

Not fussy about
-----------------
- Size, as long as there is enough to ski for a couple of days or areas are reachable by car
- Distance from airports, were driving so this isn't a problem.
- English speaking ( So I don't speak german but I'm not a fan of going to home-from-home type resorts where all you hear is Brits on tour)

We have stayed in Bad Gastein/Hofgastein and it ticked all our boxes but I don't believe in going back to the same place twice. I was considering Schladming or Dachstein region ? ? ?

Any help much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kjcooler, Ski Amadé region sounds perfect for you. In particular Altenmarkt and Radstadt areas both have toboggan runs and there's the nearly Therme (thermal spas, although if you are British and prudish like me you might want to avoid the sauna bit wink ). Also Flachau and Wagrain look like lovely towns from what I have seen plus there are the Schladming and Hochkönig areas too, with a car you'll be able to explore the whole area. It's very near Salzburg, not much over an hour by car if you get lucky with traffic. There are some snowheads based there who will be able to give you lots more advice, especially flangesax who has a lovely guesthouse in Radstadt and might be able to accommodate you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for Radstadt area. Real towns so not exorbitant prices.
Worth driving on to Hochwurzen (schladming) for the toboggan run.
Obertauern up the road if the snow has melted elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wagrain has an indoor/outdoor pool complex close to the FLying Mozart gondola. And does it really cost 24 Euros for a burger and fries in France?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, I've got 4 nights booked in Schladming. As my wife wont be skiing, I needed somewhere central with things for her and my daughter to do (shes too young to ski yet) yet still be able to hit the slopes early.

jimmybog, I used to go to France a lot but our last trip to Alpe d'Huez was phenominally expensive on the ground. Beer 6.50 Euros and a burger and fries 24E. It was the biggest plate of burger I've ever seen but I'd of prefered a portion a 1/3 the size and a 1/3 of the price.

In comparison I find that Austra and Sud-Tyrol (Italy) provide much, much better value for money and the resorts seem to be more welcoming. It may just be because we've stopped going to "Super Resorts".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
May i suggest somewhere like st gilgen or strobl, on wolfgangsee. skiing availabe on postalm (close by) or a larger area at gosau/russbach, known as dachstein west. area is about 35 mins from salzburg. plenty to do and you can visit the picturesque village of hallstat. there is a spa baths in bad ischl, also close by.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gilgen, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Are you in St Gilgen? I went there for a number of summer holidays in the '60s, staying in a local guest house with a couple called Maria and Franzl. I am racking my brains to remember their surname. Franzl drove a postbus - like a veritable demon!
Code:
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam. alas no. i am from ireland but i do have a property in st gilgen. i have also been going to austria since the early 60s, and have never missed a year. on retirement, decided to spend more time there. love austria in summer as well as winter. beautiful area, recently shown on portillos great continental train journeys. usually go for a weeks concentrated skiing but in differing areas of austria. occassionally in france, italy and switzerland.
i see you are in chichester harbour....sailing is my other passion...in a sigma 38.
beautiful classic yachts in st gilgen sialing club.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gilgen, how interesting. I don't remember much in the way of sailing on the lake in the '60s, but perhaps I just wasn't paying attention.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski at Zell and stay at the hotel sportkamp woflergut. plenty to do and and see, 5 minute drive from the arietbaln gondola.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam. yes, club is called UNION YACHT CLUB.. if you google "webcam wolfgangsee" you will get the wolfgangsee site. click on "unser service" and you will get about 10 webcams, one of which is the yacht club. also shown are the ski areas on zwolferhorn and postalm. interestingly, the gondola in st gilgen, that you came across in 1960s is STILL in daily use!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy