Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Enduro XT800 length ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

first post, hope some of you can help me with this - I'm looking at some Salomon Enduro XT800s and not 100 % sure about what length to go for.
I've skied for years (usually 1-2 weeks per year), can comfortably run slopes of all colours and handle some off piste powder - between 6'3 and 6-4 tall and around 95 kilos, slimming a little at the moment but even in good shape was hardle lighter than 90 kilos.
I like some straight line stability rather than complete grip in the curves, guess 175 or 181 should be good sizes ?

Many thanks indeed !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
182 would be the better length for both edge grip and stability! also will give you more float in the softer stuff! Get in contact with us for a fellow snowheads discount Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MaverickLdn, welcome to snowHeads.

I'm 178cm, 95kg and ski the 175s (3 weeks on them) - I'd recommend going for the 181.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, interesting. I'm about the same as you and on paper would have plumped for the 175's too. (I currently ski 2011 Tornado Ti's in a 173 which is pretty much the same ski without early rise). It sounds like you feel they're too short? Have you tried the 181 as well? Can you expend a little on why you'd now pick the 181?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Until last year i skied on 155cm length skis but found that due to the rocker could ski 161cm Enduro XT800s with no problems. When i go this season might try even longer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm 6'0 and ski on 175. I'd go 182 or possibly higher judging by the height and ability level you posted snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Callum001, 182 is the longest length in an XT800. I usually use the philosophy that whatever the longest length is in a particular ski, the next length down is correct for me. Although I'm fairly big, fast and competent I take the view that there are still bigger (especially taller - I'm 179), faster and better skiers than me and the longest length is for them. The 173 in the Tornado was the second longest length and I thought it would be too short but I had the chance to demo them and they felt rock solid so I bought them. I'd also had a chat with Davee Mercer (Salomon BASI man) who's a similar size to me and he was on the Tornado 166's at the time. All the lengths of the XT800 are 2cm longer than the previous Tornado Ti which I had assumed was just to compensate for the early rise tip so I'm just curious as to whether someone who's tried the XT 175's thinks they're too soft, unstable, not enough float or what? .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi everyone, thanks for the notes (and kind discount offer), finally decided to give the 181s a try and will report back after trying them in St Anton week after next !
Can't wait to hit the snow on my own planks again after renting for quite a few years Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
length up to your nose should bve about right. if its between sizes go slightly over.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate, sorry, my post wasn't too clear - was recommending the 181 (or 182) due to MaverickLdn's height. Nothing more. I wouldn't, for my height, ski on anything much longer than 175 as a general rule.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur wrote:
Raceplate, sorry, my post wasn't too clear - was recommending the 181 (or 182) due to MaverickLdn's height. Nothing more.

Ah, fair enough, thanks for clarifying. What do you think of them anyway? Did you ever ski the 2010/11 Tornado Ti (the white one)? If so, how do they compare?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate, can't make a comparison, I'm afraid. I really like the ski - good for fast GS turns (assured), fine for shorter turns, stable, no problem in crud/chopped up/moguled snow and OK in non hardcore/gnarly off-piste.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all, another question on these, in case anyone knows...seems there is a last years model (brownish/silver/ grey colour theme) and this years model (black/greenish/silver colourtheme). Is this really a difference in model year or do they just come in different colours ?
If they are different years (say 2011/2012 to 2012/2013) does anyone know what the difference is ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sizes and descriptions seem the same so doubt there is any difference but...

Also got 175, used it 4-5 times in Hemel Hempstead and just came back from the mountain with some very changeable weather, temps changed from -5 to +12 and back within a week, including some rain and sleet occasionally, absolutely loved the skis. I’m 90kg btw, not way too fit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm looking at some of these or the Rxt , 5"9 and 85kg option is 161 or 175. Suggestions ? Improver- intermediate skier !
ski holidays
Sarny wrote:
I'm looking at some of these or the Rxt , 5"9 and 85kg option is 161 or 175. Suggestions ?
My suggestion would be to always check the manufacturer's website Toofy Grin
They do a 168 in both the RXT and XT which would be ideal for you. http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/enduro-rxt-800---z12.html
latest report
Yeah but for a cut price, i Can get the 161 or 175 Smile
ski holidays
Sarny wrote:
Yeah but for a cut price, i Can get the 161 or 175 Smile

That's why it's cut price.

Mebbe the 175 would be better than buying a shorter ski, you can easily progress with the XT800, and it has the rocker tip that slightly "shortens" the ski length when setting an edge. It's also easier on turn initiation. The 161 is easier to learn on, but you'd be wishing you hadn't got them this time next season!

the 175 is only 7 cms longer than the 168. thats less than 2 inches up front, 1.5 inches behind. Simples! snowHead
ski holidays
The difference is their graphics nothing else.Skied them six weeks last season on piste off piste bumps etc brilliant ski.
snow report
Just wondering how you got on with the ski???? I have exactly the same question re length, similar to you other than I'm 6 ft 1 - I also looked at the Salomon XT but ended up with the Atomic Blackeye Ti and went for 181 cm...can't wait to let them loose now!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy