Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Les Arc 1800 please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
Happy New year.

Normally we head over the pond to Canada but this year due to moving house we can't afford the 2 weeks or pennies Sad

So we are looking at Les Arc
Can any snowheads out there help us please with advice on Les Arc 1800.
Good places to stay or avoid. We are looking at self catering so what are the eating options and supermarkets like?
any other advice on transfers etc.

We've had a look at reviews on here but any help would be great.
Thanks
Sharon and Rob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's lots of self-catering available in Arc 1800; it really depends upon what your budget is.

At the lower end of the scale you have the Charvet & Villards apartments, the Thuria and Ruitor. These are more functional than anything else, there's lots of different ones throughout the resort (so much so that if you go through a TO you may not know exactly where you'll be staying). Charemetogger apartments are much the same.

Mid-range you could look at the Belmont apartments, which are a good location.

At the higher end of the scale you're probably looking at either the Edenarc complex that was built last year, or the Alpages de Chantel. Both of these are situated slightly above Arc 1800 centre; they're ski in ski out, but there's also a resort bus that runs up and down (though not until late). There are a couple of small supermarkets in the resort (Spar and a Sherpa) but, as with all ski resorts, its much better and cheaper to visit the super-U in Bourg St. Maurice if you can. Up at the Alpages there is a pizzeria and bar, but most of the action is down in the centre. I confess I've not been to Edenarc since its been completed so I'm not entirely sure what it has.

What I would say is; if you're looking at the higher end of the price scale you may want to consider Arc 1950 rather than 1800. 1950 is very much a chocolate box ski resort, you can ski through the centre of resort and it has a real charm to it. If you're looking for somewhere lively though, then 1800 is the place for you. If in 1950 you'd have easy access to Arc 2000 so there's plenty of restaurants etc there, 1800 equally has its share from very cheap to more expensive.

For transfers, I guess it depends how many there are of you and where you're travelling from! Altibus are a decent option, plus the French rail network is also pretty good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob and sharon, if you look on the snow reports section there is a season thread for Les Arcs which has loads of info and where you can also ask questions.

Arc 1800 is the best for night life and you can ski down to near most apartment buildings, but not even all Arc 1850 or Eden Arc are all ski in/ski out depending on where you stay, but they are nice and more expensive than the main Arc 1800 area.

If you want to have a cheaper holiday look for deals at the main centre of Arc 1800 either in the Villards end or the Chantel end. There are also quite a few transfer companies you can use. Check out http://www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk/ if you need to book a seat. They give a discount to snowheads. Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob and sharon, have a look at My French Chalet apartments - very reasonable and in good location.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob and Sharon. Unless night life is your driver (in which case go to 1800), then you might like to have a look at Chalet La Bas www.chalet-la-bas.com. I stayed with Steve and Connie for Christmas week and had a fab time. In terms of value for money, even with the catering, it is fantastic. Their "Ski Safari" of up to 7 resorts in a week may suit your skiing too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of nice restaurants in 1800, 2 supermarkets, corner and other shops. If you are driving stop en route (Bourg, Moutiers, Chambery) for cheaper shopping.

If you want to hire a "classic" flat in a block in 1800 Charmettoger please PM me, we have one which we let out commercially with ABSerti but will happily undercut them if you book direct with us - they take a big commission! it sleeps 4- 6 - double bed in bedroom & 2 bunks upstairs and a sofabed in the living room. Not very pretty (great view) but everything you need. 5 mins walk to Villards centre, little shop and ski set shop in the building.
My parents came and used the Altibus transfer from Geneva, it was great. You can also get the train to Bourg St Maurice and the bus up to resort, or the funicular (free if you have a ski pass, which you can buy at the bottom of the funi for the duration). We have used ski4fun as well. Try to travel midweek or on Sundays. One time we went out with a tour company taking flight and transfer only but no accommodation - that worked well. If you drive NB you will be paying about €60 for open parking and a bit more in the undercover car parks, also you must have chains.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big thanks to all snowheads for the help and advice.
We've booked for a week in 1800 in Hotel du Golf in the end as we got a good deal

If anyone is out there and wants to meet up drop us a line
Once again a huge thanks for all the advice.
Goes to show just how cool and helpful this site really is
Happy New Year
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great location in the Hotel du Golf; literally just off the slopes and right in the centre of 1800, you're close to everything. Quite a decent place too. But its catered, isn't it? I thought you were looking for SC??!!

Anyway, enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Dav
yes we were looking for a SC but for the week we had available due to work and cost of apartments etc for 2 people we ended up going for the Golf
just hope they get some snow now Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got chatting to a couple at the Arpet restaurant on Thursday night who were staying at the hotel Golf in 1800 and they rated it very highly.

The skiing was also very good last week with tons of snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
iirc i stayed there a few years ao and it was good. Word of warning, the stairs are a double helix affair so its not very easy (see difficult when a little worse for wear) to find your room.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 5-01-13 18:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello rob and sharon,
You can't go wrong at the Hotel Golf, although it's 4 or 5 years since we stayed. Lovely place and very convenient.
I think the rooms have been tarted up since then anyway. Nice food and pleasant bar. Couldn't fault it!

Hello ansta1,
Ha!! i remember the ruddy stairs/ slopes (weird set up). the slope things gave my calves some right
stick! (first time on skis for 16 years, and my balance fore and aft wasn't so good)

Cheers, Geoff
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffkay, those stairs/slopes weren't too bad when you got used to them but for the first couple of days we kept going past the room on the wrong side of the flaming helix.........

However back on topic, we were pretty happy with the accomodation/food and the location is pretty good. Just watch out for the people stealing your eggs out of the egg boiler.........

Reminds me - A snowheads post on boiling eggs at altitude is what found snowheads in google for me...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowyowl[b]snowyowl,

I might be interested in your appartment, how do I send a pm?

Chrissyk Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OP take warm clothes for apres, wind whisles down the high st. just like Tignes Palafour
snow conditions
ChrissyK, top right of the screen under Send/Read Messages.
snow report
ChrissyK, you can email me direct janiceosborn24@gmail.com if you wish!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy