Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over 40 - OK now I'm panicking!

Poster: A snowHead
Seemed like a good idea when booking this holiday. I went skiing 3 times BC (Before Children) and it was fine, although I'm not what you would call a brave skiier. In fact, I spent more of my time criss-crossing the run to avoid picking up too much speed, so technically I guess I was OK. Anyway, roll on 11 years, I'm now unfit, overweight and mid 40s so I'm guessing that my skiing prowess won't magically have improved. We are now actually in the year that we are going away (Austria at end of March) and it's now no longer "Next Year" and reality is dawning. We're all booked into ski school, and OH has booked us into Intermediate because we have skii'd before (personally I think I should be with the kids in Learn to Ski). How am I going to get out of this holiday with some dignity and with my body still intact. Hubby bought me a garden trampoline so I can do a bit of work on that. Any other ideas or should I try and get out of it!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bambionskiis, I didn't start to ski until I was over 40 - so age is not an issue. Some basic fitness - cycling, walking or whatever you enjoy - before you go will help. Have a few sessions (with instruction) on a dry slope before you go, if you can. And be very honest with the instructor in Austria (without putting yourself down). If you are in the wrong class they should sort things out during the first day. Go with a positive attitude - have fun within your range of skills and 'bravery'. And don't let your other half bully you into 'just going down here' and taking you out your comfort zone. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bambionskiis, firstly, don't panic! 11 years is a fair old break, but if you had the basics it won't take too long to remember them. Working on your fitness is a good start. As Ayrshire Andy suggests a confidence building session before you go would be a really good idea, depending on where you are it might be worth booking into a snowdome for a lesson to see how you feel.
If you really think you're in booked into too advanced a group on your trip then ask to switch classes before you go (you have plenty of time). Most ski schools are prety good at moving people to the right group when you get there, as it makes life a lot easier for the instructors too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ayrshire Andy makes some good suggestions.

bambionskiis, don't worry that you might be in a group of much better skiers for the week. The ski school won't rely on what you have put on the booking form and will put you in an appropriate group for your ability. They won't make you do anything that you can't!

Most of all, it is a family holiday. It is almost inevitable that there will be tears and tantrums (and the kids might join you there too!) but overall you will have a fantastic time away together and will store up some precious memories.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bambionskiis, Forget all the fitness training stuff, just go to a dry slope or indoor snow every week and ski yourself fit, turning skills so you can maintain your comfort speed takes away the need for huge thighs that ruin the dress line.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OK,I'm 47, I first skied as a teenager (school trips), I had a long lay off and got going again with a vengeance in my 30s.
Yeah,start with lessons, skiing has moved on a lot in recent years. The instructor will lightly access you at the beginning of the first lesson and sort you into groups of similar ability. Don't worry about the intermediate grouping, if it's too tough for you, you'll be relegated. Very Happy
The Wife sounds a bit 'keen'. wink

Fitness helps so much, but obviously, is hard to obtain. I train (gym, running, cycling) for most of the year, but target ski fitness from Sept onwards.
If you catch the ski bug again, try to work on your fitness, it'll pay off massively in everyway. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bambionskiis, Don't worry about your age, I didn't start skiin till my mid 40s. If you live anywhere near an indoor snow slope or dry slope a couple of refresher lessons there will soon bring you previous skills back. As Ayrshire Andy says don't worry about the class you are booked into as the instructor will sort that out after he seen everyone ski on the first day.
Oh and if the kids are going with you resign yourself that if not by the end of this holiday then certainly within the next couple of trips they will be far better skiers than you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would definitely book a couple of local lessons before you go and if you haven't already some beginner lessons for your children as well. Having the basics will mean that they will progress much quicker on the snow once out there and less likely to hate it when the get there. I still remember my first ski holiday as a 11 year old and how much I absolutely loved it (after be picked out of the very beginners to go up a group along with my sister as had down a beginner course on a dry ski slope first.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic,

Can't agree with you there pal.

This guy has skied previously, she's not an absolute beginner. There's not much that she'll get out of plastic at this late stage that she won't either already be able to do, or will pick up in the first hour of his first lesson. A snowdome would be more helpful. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 1-01-13 13:16; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tell him you don't do cold! Works for my missus every time! Strangely I don't put up a fight either! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski, Man? it says hubby bought me a trampoline.

Plastic is the finder of all skills if you cannot ski well on it you have some way to go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski, it's a lady! wink

rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic, +1

Predictable aren't I! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gatecrasher wrote:
Mollerski, it's a lady! wink

rolling eyes

Really?!! Shocked Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski, isn't "our man" a lady? Puzzled
bambionskiis, IMHO, my wife has definitely enjoyed her ski holidays more as she has got fitter and also with using lady's (lighter-weight) skis - so I would advise getting lady-specifice skis at the rental shop, even if they cost a bit more to hire. As said several times, don't worry about what group you have already specified.
Be prepared to be poor for the rest of your life Laughing
snow conditions
Sorry. Embarassed
Gender has been re-aligned. Very Happy
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Gender has been re-aligned. Very Happy

I bet that is a start to 2013 that bambionskis didn't predict!

Back in the day, me and Mrs Z used to regularly go to the dry slope for a course of lessons before our annual ski trip and found them a huge help (apart from getting Dendex thumb on a couple of occasions).
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Cynic,

Can't agree with you there pal.

This guy has skied previously, she's not an absolute beginner. There's not much that she'll get out of plastic at this late stage that she won't either already be able to do, or will pick up in the first hour of his first lesson. A snowdome would be more helpful. Madeye-Smiley

Actualy I think plastic may be better although I have only been to the Tamworth dome twice both times were very busy and crowded if you are struggling with confidence thAt isn't always the best environment I have often found the dry ski slopes much less busy. Also if they are any where near the snowtrax one near bournemouth that surface is much nicer than a lot of other dry ski slopes.
snow report
Some very good advice from Ayrshire Andy. It's January 1, you're not going skiing till March. that gives you loads of time to get fitter, improve your balance and lose weight (well, it is the time for good resolutions.... wink )

I feel all that is more important than having ski lessons, and dry slopes can be miserable unless you're keen. If you live near an indoor ski slope, they're much better, but lessons are expensive.

If you do no sport then you should prioritise your leg muscles, not least to protect your knees. Look up exercises for quads and hamstrings, and do them. Squats and lunges etc (but do them right, you can mess up your knees if you get lunges wrong). If you do much on a garden trampoline I'd be surprised (and impressed!). Just walking up steep hills, or up lots of stairs, would be good aerobically, too.

Don't neglect upper body (you need that to get up when you fall down and for poling across flat bits.....). Your local leisure centre will have relevant classes, and might have ski-specific ones.

And balance. No need to do anything fancy. Stand on one leg when opportunity presents itself (e.g. peeling potatoes, waiting for kettle to boil).

Resolve that you are not going to wear yourself out. If you feel tired after your ski lessons, sit down and have a drink. Put your feet up and read a book. It's supposed to be fun. wink Maybe rent some snowshoes and go for a walk. Mountain holidays aren't just about skiing.

How old are the kids?

You can't avoid ageing but getting fat and unfit is up to you. I started skiing at 40 too, quarter of a century ago.
snow report
Quote:

I started skiing at 40 too, quarter of a century ago.

Not to mention snowboarding at 60, you insane old bat. Laughing

I bet you wear purple hats as well.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:

Not to mention snowboarding at 60, you insane old bat. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
It must just be me that doesn't rate plastic. Confused
Our nearest is 70m away, I had a go 4/5 years ago and thought it grim having skied snow for years, but never plastic.
We had a bunch of beginners with us a couple of years ago as part of a large group. The beginners had all done 'some' plastic prior to the trip. All of them looked like out and out first dayers to me when they got onto snow. I couldn't see that they'd gained anything from the plastic. Confused

Mind you, they were Welsh and had probably not spent money on lessons on the plastic. Very Happy
latest report
pam w, And off piste skiing this year???
snow conditions
Yup at 40+ you're far to old to contemplate even getting out of bed for a waz in't night let alone strap yerself to some bits of wood on a mountain. Just use t'internet and Tena Lady will send em in't mail and you can lay there and enjoy that sensation of spreading warmth . . . perhaps I shouldn't admit to knowing that Embarassed

Good grief woman! You're barely middle aged! Loads of us didn't get onto the snow till our 40s and I doubt any of us were physically ready for it . . . and two plus decades on . . . most of us still aren't, but we are a lot fitter than we were. Toofy Grin Just getting up and out in the mountains is a real incentive and pleasure to want to and get more physically active.

As little ms spock says, the basics stay with you but will probably take a couple of hours to ease their way back into muscle movement and you can do a lot about your fitness between now and March. You know what you need to do, cycling, walking, eat and drink less, maybe a little refresher lesson in a snowdome to remind you of the different muscles you use to ski. As others have said, the ski school will do a wee assessment and place you in a suitable group.

Just go and have fun, don't spend all day and every day from the moment you get there going up and down the lifts. If you overdo the first couple of days you'll be muscle sore for the rest of the week. It's a holiday, have one.

Plenty of good suggestions above, save Cynic being a wazock rolling eyes
snow conditions
By all means panic about being over 40, it's not pleasant but hey there's naff all you can do about it. But don't panic about going skiing, it's the best thing in the world ever and you will soon find your ski legs again. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Quote:

Plenty of good suggestions above, save Cynic being a wazock

Trolled by a UKIP voter hmmm
latest report
Wow, loads of helpful, friendly advice - and quickly too. Cheers all.
Yes, I admit it, I am a woman, lady, girl, female - not bothered what I'm called (within reason Smile ).
Kids are boy 8 and girl 11.
I live approximately 8 miles from a dry ski slope, so going wouldn't be a problem if it helps. I remember back in the day doing a lesson there and hating it as it bloody hurts when you fall over. However, if it helps, then it is something I'd think about doing.
I'm under no illusions that the kids will be better; they explain computers to me so I don't have any pride left anyway.
8 year old is brain loose with no interest in staying safe so I anticipate I'll be spending time indoors with him.
I feel so much better about going away since joining this forum; massive help.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
By all means panic about being over 40, it's not pleasant but hey there's naff all you can do about it. But don't panic about going skiing, it's the best thing in the world ever and you will soon find your ski legs again. Enjoy!

Absolutely spot on. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

By all means panic about being over 40, it's not pleasant

Utter balderdash. Not much difference between that and being 35 as far as I can see. Stop being ridiculous.
ski holidays
Cynic, UKIP!!!! Shocked where the hell did THAT come from?
latest report
Lizzard, wait till yer 60 lass . . . just you wait Twisted Evil
snow report
bambionskiis, the dry slope could be a good option as you are close, it will give you at worst the benefit of getting used to the feeling of skis on your feet again and as you've already been there before...you know you can do it...half the battle....
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:

Kids are boy 8 and girl 11.

Well my 9 and 13 year old will be off to the mountains with me for their 4th winter at easter, since trip 2 I've spent most of my time skiing with the now 8 year old yelling at her to put some turns in and slow down, well that is when she hasn't vanished into the trees at the side of the piste! At least her older sister has slowed down a bit since she switched to snowboarding.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
. The instructor will lightly access you at the beginning of the first lesson and sort you into groups of similar ability. )

Blimey, lessons have changed a lot since I started out
snow report
Panicking about your age is a waste of time and counter-productive. Narcissistic, too. wink
ski holidays
Masque, why, do people suddenly become unfit bloaters the minute they turn 60? How does that work? Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

By all means panic about being over 40, it's not pleasant

Utter balderdash. Not much difference between that and being 35 as far as I can see. Stop being ridiculous.

Well said! Come on you lot all us 40 somethings are part of generation X, growing older is mandatory, growing up isn't!
latest report
bambionskiis, don't spend time indoors with the 8 year old - put him in all day ski school and relax in the knowledge that he's with an expert.
snow report
Good advice from pam w, my 8 year old is most put out that the lifts don't run 24/7 as she would happily spend all her waking hours (well all the ones that aren't meal times!) on the mountain.
ski holidays
Quote:

Well said! Come on you lot all us 40 somethings are part of generation X, growing older is mandatory, growing up isn't!

Very good time to do all those things before it is too late, joining a tennis or badminton club is handy if you fancy getting a divorce.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy