Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis stolen in Plagne 1800 New Year's Day

Poster: A snowHead
A quick word of warning that about 60 pairs of skis and boards were stolen from a locker room in plagne 1800 in the early hours this morning - including mine! Not sure if any other apartments were hit but we are at p&v lauze.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad thats terrible Sad

The area did have the feel last night of when Paris and Marseilles are on holiday. Lots of not so nice people around

Totally gutted for you - hope you can get some to hire for the rest of your holiday

x
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dhorst, Must have been a group of thieves to take that many! Shocked Mad

Not nice to hear, especially when I'm taking my first owned pair next week! Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
60 skis you’re talking lorry not back of a van for that weight, what the hell are they going to do with them, makes you wonder sometimes, still I suppose in a skiing nation lots more punters on eBayf.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic, I agree unless there was 3 or 4 vans but I'd think someone would notice, this seems organised to me, not some happening by chance. Which makes it worse! Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

60 pairs of skis and boards were stolen from a locker room in plagne 1800 in the early hours this morning

Gosh thats awful, sorry to hear that, hope it doesn't put a taint on the holiday, let the insurance company take the stress..

Just for information and future planning... (skis in the bathroom in future?) were they from locked ski lockers? in a "locked" ski room? Did they bust the individual locker doors or what?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the messages of support. I'm letting the insurance company take the stress. Its the nerve of some people and the hassle factor it causes the rest of us that annoys me most.
Anyway, picked up some hire skis and had a gentle 4 hours around Plagne centre and Champagny and a few runs down Kamikaze and Harikiri soon put the smile back on my face.

The thieves broke an external door lock into the locker room and then jemmied (is that the correct word?) 27 lockers open - doors right off in some cases.
They emptied most of these lockers but did leave a few for the lucky ones.
The apartments have notices everywhere saying no skis in the apartments - you must use the lockers.

If anybody comes across a nearly new pair of Line Prophet Flite 172cm or Dynastar Exclusive ladies 151cm and well used pairs of Icelantic DaNollie 161cm or Salomon Thruster 150cm for sale then let me know!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dhorst, what an amazing thing to happen - not heard of such a major heist before. Horrid. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the detail dhorst, right thats it, I've printed your post and added it to my insurance document and now skis come to bed with me in the apartment whatever the apartment notices say.

Hope you continue to have a brilliant holiday, everything looks far too green from my window, even if the sky is, unusually, a nice shade of blue (but not that _dark_ shade of blue I'm used to),

enjoy the white view!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apart from this mornings incident its been a great week of blue sky skiing and it looks like its about to start snowing. And the weather is looking good for the rest of the week, so I'll have an easy afternoon, maybe head down to the Bobsleigh bar for happy hour to console my loss!

Pam w, I did hear many years ago about gangs from Grenoble clearing out ski lockers in resort apartments in this organised style, but I thought those days were gone.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dhorst, Try Scottys in Centre tomorrow - and excellent band from 5pm - 7pm Smile Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm booked on the bobsleigh at 5pm tomorrow so I might make it up for the second half - assuming I'm still in one piece!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll lay £100 to a penny those skis/boards even now being sorted in a ski hire shop somewhere in an ex eastern bloc country.

Skullie Sad

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 1-01-13 15:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Taxi or Raft??? Enjoy - its fecking awesome Very Happy see you in Scottys after Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder if I should try out the bobsleigh run, I'd be all nervous and jumpy beforehand though! Shock

chaletgirl, looking forward to meeting you next week!

dhorst, glad to hear your alright, I'm not sure what I'd be like after something like this. Sad
latest report
The Bobsleigh run is amazing. Whichever one you do. The taxi bob is the more expensive and much faster (120kph vs 80kph) and way more extreme. The Raftbob is an amazing thrill too - slightly slower, not as smooth but WHAT a rush!! Very Happy Very Happy

See you next week Very Happy
ski holidays
chaletgirl, don't worry I don't do much off piste but I've been skiing for10 years so I do like my red and blacks! Twisted Evil

Reds mostly...... Laughing
ski holidays
hmmmm - I can do reds. I can do blacks, just don't tend to as I mostly ski on my own!! Smile
ski holidays
chaletgirl, both the same in that regard, skiing by ourselves. I think we've gone off this topic though! Laughing

See you next week! snowHead
snow conditions
Laughing
snow conditions
chaletgirl, we're on the Bobraft so that the 4 of us can bob together. If we make it to Scottys tomorrow I'll give you a shout.

RichardB, there's not much you can do about it, apart from pick up some hire skis and get on with the important things in life like skiing Smile The insurance can sort out the rest in time.

It's snowing lightly now in Plagne 1800 so hopefully a good few inches overnight will give me a chance to have a blast with my hire skis (Scott Punishers) in the morning. snowHead
ski holidays
It happened to me once many years ago, I think it was Valmorel. All the ski lockers were broken in to and mainly hire skis taken. Mine were gone and I was gleefully thinking about new ones on insurance when someone said that an old pair of skis had been left instead of their new ones - sure enough it was mine, and they had to make do for a few more years.
latest report
Happened while we were staying at the Castillan hotel in Alpe d'Huez many years ago. They walked in through the hotel main entrance, unlocked the boot room from the inside and cleared it out, including my dad and brother's brand new skis.

Sorry to hear of the theft, hope it doesn't spoil your week.
ski holidays
Interestingly this happened to us a couple of years ago, also in La Plagne (though this was a P&V place in Belle Plagne). Ski Locker doors prised off hinges and a whole load of skis taken. Police weren't very interested, but gave us a certificate so we could claim back on the insurance. Pierre & Vacances were even less interested...

dhorst, think you've got the right attitude...get the insurance admin underway and then get back to the skiing!
ski holidays
Oh thats really rubbish!

Another vote for being used as hire / sold in Eastern Europe. Total form for nicking job lots of sports equipment and seeing it turn up over there.
snow report
Cynic, One Ford Transit van will take 60 pairs of skis! I see it every year for the Salomon Test at the UK Snow domes you just have to pack them right!
snow conditions
dhorst, dangly bits!

they have gone, you will never get them back- b4stard.....

nice skis- we also have prophet flites (172) and exclusive legends oh and thrusters.....(i'd really like some Icelantic skis too)- at least you had some decent skis to be nicked in the first place???
snow conditions
Gutted for you! I am a bit naive when it comes to our annual holiday in the Alps as I think crime is low almost none existant but I guess nowhere is removed from thieving barstewards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One advantage I guess of going back repeatedly to Wengen there's never been any big thefts, bloody difficult to get a van load of kit down the mountain when everything has to go up or down on little trains, petty theft does occur occasionally the odd pair of skis goes missing (but often turns up at a hire shop later when they take the wrong pair) most crime I'm sorry to say seems to occur when the Russians/eastern Europeans visit
snow conditions
Hi guys, Im going to PILA in a few weeks and taking me own boots. Will the hotel allow me to take my boots up to my room?

Also on a different note, I am a locksmith and it worried me when my mate (who out boarding now) said to me you must put your ski's in "lockers". My experience of lockers (in this country) are flimsy metal cabinets with the cheapest type of lock on. A child could pick them with a hair clip. Now I dont know if they're any better out there but it doesnt seem to me to be adequate security for the cost of the contents and for (in this case) them to be forced open with what can be no more then a crow bar seems pretty poor.
snow conditions
Hi -I'm in La Plagne too and I had my poles nicked on 30th Dec - I can live with the few euros it cost to replace them but while I was sorting it out I came across 2 other sets of people who had had stuff taken then in the hire shop later 4 other people came in complaining about it. I think the place has a bit of a problem at the month which is a shame. DG Orf - I agree Wengen is the most honest place ever! Chaletgirl I'll give you a shout for a drink while we're both here!
snow conditions
What an awful thing to happen, talk about bad start to the new year. Sorry to hear about it and hope the rest of your holiday has been enjoyable.

Holidayed in Plagne 1800 last season and we had been advised there had been a problem with people helping themselves to equipment - hence we kept skis etc in the bathroom, on beach towels brought from home. Admittedly easier for us as we didn't have to go through any kind of reception etc as one might in a hotel as we were in a self catering apartment, but have taken skis up to our room in other resorts and never had a problem, but we may just have been lucky.
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
most crime I'm sorry to say seems to occur when the Russians/eastern Europeans visit

That's pretty unfair of the filthy thieving Swiss to pick on the Russians like that.
snow conditions
Further to the above - there was a locker room which we should have used, but a two year old could have gotten through the locks, it was dank, poorly lit and frankly not somewhere I fancied going to after the first look. Have used lockers in the US that were in a far better environment and had some heavy duty locks on the lockers and the room itself - I think it all comes down to how secure you feel the locker rom is as to whether you chance using it. Putting cleaned and dried off skis in your bathroom is the way to go if you have any qualms IMHO Very Happy
latest report
Really sorry to hear about your loss. I had the same experience EXCEPT I was the only one targetted and it was from a locked cave, not a ski locker. The unofficial scuter was that it was one of the technical support guys who disappered at the same time. Because the thief had used a key I was 'uninsured' .....
snow report
chaletgirl wrote:

The area did have the feel last night of when Paris and Marseilles are on holiday. Lots of not so nice people around

I went into 1800 village during the day today and as chaletgirl, says there are some quite sus looking people just hanging around, plainly not there for skiing or anything similar Sad
snow report
Sorry to hear about this problem, as I'm heading out there on the 12th.

Think I'm actually happy to be renting for this trip!

Anyone looking for drinks or cruising, let me know.
12-19 Jan Chalet Roussette, La Plagne. 3 male skiers 30-50.
my forum name followed by @ gmail.com
snow report
2weird2die wrote:
Sorry to hear about this problem, as I'm heading out there on the 12th.

Think I'm actually happy to be renting for this trip!

Anyone looking for drinks or cruising, let me know.
12-19 Jan Chalet Roussette, La Plagne. 3 male skiers 30-50.
my forum name followed by @ gmail.com

I'll PM you. Although I do seem to work some silly hours! There is another snowhead out here - he's being a ski bum so more likely to be about!!

Smile
latest report
chaletgirl, The Welsh in laws are in Plagne1800 from this Sat. Have you met my young Welsh niece, working the season in Rhodedendrons in 1800?
latest report
Philib, we always take our boots up to our room and have never been told not to, as long as you are not wearing them whilst walking through the hotel they don't seem to mind, i just take a pair of slip on shoes down to the boot room with my boots and put them on down there and leave the slip-on's in the room....... never been a problem. If we had my husbands boots nicked we'd be screwed as he has custom made boots due to very very wide feet and can't do hire boots at all!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy