Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pulled muscle

Poster: A snowHead
The joys of being a more mature skier trying to get fit seem to be piling up Sad The knee I mentioned a few posts ago recovered nicely after being drained and strapped for a couple of weeks and now today I've gone and pulled (hopefully nothing worse.... Nasty cracking sound then stabbing pain) a muscle on the back of my left leg, midway between the knee and butt. Not really painful but uncomfortable when leg is streteched out.

Possibly a slight panic since less that 5 weeks to this years trip, so anyone got any recommendations on what to do, since I can't really justify a visit to A&E over the New Year for this? Is it safe to carry on with core and upper body exercises?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Posidrive, You heard a snap? What the hell were you doing? Things that audibly 'pop' are not usually a "strained muscle" . . . but that's for you to decide if you want to get it looked at after the celebratory rush.

Core and upper body work will be fine. If pain and swelling gets worse, head to A&E, Doc will send you there anyway. If it's just tender after a week start stretching and warm up before pretending you're still 20.

I despair at people who think they can 'get fit for skiing' you can't and never will . . . until you decide to GET FIT FOR LIFE, it's a 24/7/365 thing and not some sort of 'I'll do it nearer the time' thing rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Posidrive, after my meniscus surgery I found it really hard to get my fitness back and kept pulling muscles etc. for getting started I found aqua aerobics good to get a enough back to do descent gym work outs to get to a level I could return to hockey at which point I pulled a muscle again. It is so frustrating, however I certainly found a Physio trip helpful and a descent sports massage helped get me back playing a lot quicker.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:
Posidrive, You heard a snap? What the hell were you doing? Things that audibly 'pop' are not usually a "strained muscle" . . . but that's for you to decide if you want to get it looked at after the celebratory rush.

Core and upper body work will be fine. If pain and swelling gets worse, head to A&E, Doc will send you there anyway. If it's just tender after a week start stretching and warm up before pretending you're still 20.

I despair at people who think they can 'get fit for skiing' you can't and never will . . . until you decide to GET FIT FOR LIFE, it's a 24/7/365 thing and not some sort of 'I'll do it nearer the time' thing rolling eyes

I was just about at the end of my workout after an hour of cardio and 45 minutes of weights, flexing the knees for a set of kettle bell swings and on the eleventh swing. Perhaps snap wasn't quite the right description of the sound but I definitely heard something at the same time as the stabbing pain.

This was not a case oj just getting fit for skiing but part of an overall getting back to fitness plan, trying to undo the weight gain and loss of fitness that 4 years living in North America gives you. I've spent probably 12 hours a week or more for the last seven months in the gym doing a mixture of cardio and weights. Feeling a bit pissed off by it all because it has generally been going so well. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it coming to ski kit and was feeling really pleased with myself for fitting into a set of salopettes that I bought in 1990 Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would really recommend getting an appointment with a Physio!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Posidrive, I would go and see a sports physio asap. Sounds like a tear of some sort, rest, ice, compression and elevation are the standard things to do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
I would really recommend getting an appointment with a Physio!

And personal trainer. Training for 1 3/4 hours is likely lead to injuries. Unless training for endurance events not even pro sports people train for that long. Yoga / stretching will prevent injuries and keep muscles strong.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Posidrive, Ouch! sounds like a hamstring problem, do you have any bruising visible on the back of your thigh?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Posidrive, Oh good grief! Spetsnaz willy waving has nowt to do with strength and fitness and ballistic weights do more damage than anything else in a gym. Especially at the very end of a looong workout when there's a real chance of a muscle going into spasm just as you forcibly stretch it. At the end of a weights session you should be cooling down with self controlled stretching rolling eyes What the hell do they teach in gyms these days? To be brutal you've got exactly what you were aiming for.

Wait for any deep muscle bruising to appear and dissipate before getting a massage 5+ days then stick with light loading and slow reps for a week or two before going back to full loading. And get a personal trainer to look at your regime and techniques. I've always seen far too much explosive weight training that's basically useless for either strength or fitness.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sigh, probably my fault rather than the gym or trainers. They gave me cardio and strength workouts to do on alternatives days and the weight wasn't coming off fast enough so I decided to do both the caradio and sterngth workouts each day. At least it has done the job for most of the weight and it has solved my BP problems such that the doc has taken me off the pills and dramtically dropped my resting heart rate Smile. Lots of people in the gym doing the willy waving exercise so I just thought why not give it a go as well. We live and learn Smile

I can't see any sign of any bruising yet and oddly most of the pain has gone.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Posidrive, give it another week or so before going full bore and warm up properly 10-15 min progressive and incremental steps into your cardio. Working with weights is all about slooooooow control and full range of movement under load with mid weight loads for multiple reps at a steady pace and or max loading max 5 reps very slow and when you can do that smoothly on both push and release then up the weight. All that grunting explosion at the start just sets the weight moving and you're a passenger staying with it to catch it at the end of the arc. Give yourself a 10 min. cooldown stretch after your resistance training and vary the body specifics each day.

Stay slow and controlled with the weights and you shouldn't hurt yourself again. Kettle bells are great but I bet if you do your regular routine at a 1/4 the speed you'll have to drop at least one weight size Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque,
Quote:

I despair at people who think they can 'get fit for skiing' you can't and never will . . . until you decide to GET FIT FOR LIFE, it's a 24/7/365 thing and not some sort of 'I'll do it nearer the time' thing

You've really hit the bug with this fitness thing haven't you? Is this the evangelical zeal of the reformed smoker who then feels so good he want's to spread the word or have you always practiced what you've preached?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, not smoked for 30 odd years . . . the pie habit was harder to break.

The real zeal is simply I'm having problems with lots of old injuries and I have to continue with the weight loss and overcome the injury legacies of restricted movement, scaring, missing bits of body and quite severe arthritis.

Other than that I'm 100% Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, I knew you didn't smoke, it was just an example of the sort of thing I meant. Though I wasn't very articulate in the way I put it for which I apologise.

It is often said that reformed smokers decide to preach word with some enthusiasm due to their new found lives off the fags, and I wondered if you had done the same with your fitness, as I get the general impression that there is less of you these days and I assume a concurrent improvement in your fitness (which I envy). You just seem very keen to share the fitness story with a similar enthusiasm to those ex-smokers who try to encourage others to follow their lead. Don't get me wrong though, I think its brilliant Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Posidrive wrote:
Nasty cracking sound ... midway between the knee and butt. Not really painful but uncomfortable when leg is streteched out.

I diagnose snapped knicker elastic.
snow report
red 27, One of the most potentially embarassing complaints around (I know!! Embarassed )
ski holidays
Megamum, It's more that I'm dirt cheap and want free lift passes Madeye-Smiley

In reality it's more to the point that I love sliding around the hill on various daft contraptions and the only way I can keep doing that is get and keep fit and healthy. I yoyo in my weight and do the same with my fitness and over the years, more often than not I get knocked back by injury and I've had some doozies. Most not connected with skiing I hasten but I have had some classics there, like the three ribs broken when I fell off a stool in Austria while trying to dance on it in my boots . . . fail!
So I want to board and ski on into my 70s and 80s and not slow down but keep improving, there's no real reason beyond negative peer pressure and cumulative laziness stopping us from being as fit and active into that age group as we were in our 20s.

Though perhaps going for the Eurotest may be a step too far wink but what the hell, it could be fun to do some race training anyway Twisted Evil
latest report
Masque,
Quote:

I want to board and ski on into my 70s and 80s and not slow down but keep improving, there's no real reason beyond negative peer pressure and cumulative laziness stopping us from being as fit and active into that age group as we were in our 20s.

Though perhaps going for the Eurotest may be a step too far but what the hell, it could be fun to do some race training anyway
Yessss! Very Happy (If I can find a group of intermidiots to do it with, I plan on trying to do some race training at Hemel this summer.) I think it's so sad that Nick Z is hanging up his skis. But I'm convinced the reason for that is that he was a very good skier at one time. It's much easier to keep up the momentum as the years advance if you can still keep seeing some improvement, as opposed to just seeing a gradual deterioration.
snow conditions
Posidrive, sent you a pm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy