Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips needed for going round Sella Ronda circuit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am planning to visit dolomites for the first time to go round the 40km circuit of Sella Ronda in the second week of March 2006. Will drive from Munich after seeing off my brother’s family so thinking of getting accommodation near Val Gardena.

Would appreciate any advice on going round this long circuit as a day trip. Like clockwise or anticlockwise, things to watch out for, earliest starting time, queues, choking points, tips, etc…..

So far only aware, from Sella Ronda web site, that

(1) Must start before 10am
(2) Weather changeable
(3) Total time spent on riding chairlifts is about 2 hours
(4) Total time spent on skiing is around 1.5 hours (dependent on skill, likely to be significantly longer in my case)
(5) Time on queuing chairlifts unknown
(6) Many parts of the circuit close between 16:00 and 16:30

Have read most of the posts on Sella Ronda but need an update.

Never gone as much distance in a day before. The longest we did was about 30km going round the Saalbach Hinterglemm valley. It isn’t the distance we after, more of having a go at it before the age catches up with us.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome back !! it's 26km but I'm getting a deja vu about that Very Happy

I'll bet you have skied that distance though, it's not such a big deal when you're on it really.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Lagazoi ( iffy spelling) which is slightly off circuit but well worth the effort.

Beware of the piste map it is crap. Even the one you can buy is shite.

There are two places called Chur which really threw me when I wanted to get to Laguzoi.

Also be aware of lift closing times. I got back to Arabba after the last lift and had to get a taxi with some Italians to Passo Pordoi and then ski back to Canazei.

If you just want to do the regular circuit it is a piece of cake.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, the Dolomites is my favourite ski area - have been there 2x already staying in Arabba both times and am headed back there again this year for a week in march. Very Happy

I agree with Ise, the distance isn't a big deal, and you may occasionally get frustrated with short linking runs and feeling like you are spending a lot more time on the lifts than the runs. However, if you explore some of the ski slopes in each of the 4 main areas you go through, you can do a lot more than 26km in a day - and still not ski the same slope twice. I had a ski instructor who insisted it was in fact possible to ski it both directions in the same day. Shocked I reckon that is possible and may give it a go although I think you would need to get the 1st lift, go like bat out of hell and not stop.

Latchigo, is right about Laguzoi (THe Hidden Valley) being well worth it, but I would be a bit suspicous of trying to do this as part of the entire circuit. The reason is you probably have to ski about 30 mins off the circuit (including lift time), then catch a bus or taxi, get an old cable car up to the top of Laguzoi, and then get dragged back to San Cassiano by horse sled afterwards and return to the circuit. In total this could add up to 3 hours? I would suggest reserving this for its own outing - and while there go to La Villa and do the Ladies slalom course which can be fun.

Regarding the changeable weather, they are pretty good at displaying if the Sella Ronda is open at most major lift stations. Being in different valleys over 4 passes, means that the weather can differ drastically in each sector. I think they err on the side of caution in terms of people getting stuck and may mark it as closed if they suspect it may close. Just remember the fact that you are in 4 different valleys, so some portions of the route get the sun in the morning or afternoon - being in the shade at the end of the day can be cold, so maybe plan any diversions accordingly.

In terms of timing, we have always caught the 1st(ish) lift, and been back in out sector (i.e. not reliant on getting any lifts up to get back to that valley) by about 2:00pm allowing plenty of time to play.

Despite being there at half term, we never encountered any serious queues - the exception being the link (charilift) between Colfosco and Corvarra (15mins wait?). Some of the other potential waits should be reduced with chairs being upgraded to 4 man and cable cars to gondolas.

Here are some comments about the routes (IMHO of course and assuming you are staying in Selva)

Clockwise

- Have a play on the pistes to your left above Colfosco (take the Gondola up), worth the views from the top of the Sella massif and valley.
- When you get to the top of the Boe Gondola, continue up to your right on the Vallon chair for an added bit of black before rejoining the circuit.
- When you get above Arabba at (Bec de Rocces), there are 2 reds down and a chair up again. Take the one on the right 1st, get the Le Palle chair up, and then take the detour to the left. At the bottom of this piste where it joins a blue on the left is a rifugio (Plan Boe) which is usually a good place for a quick drink.
- At Arabba, take the leftmost Europa Gondola up and catch one of the reds (become black) back down. Get the other Gondola up to Porto Vescova and try one fo the other balcks down to the bottom. These are the toughest runs you will probably find on the circuit.
- The Red on the circuit from the top of Porta Vescova can get very cut up due to the volume of people down it - so be prepared for it being quite hairy if busy with terrified skiers. Fun Toofy Grin
- At the top of Belvedere is a bowl with a few parallel chairs up it - you may want to play there a little bit before continuing. Restaurant at the top of Belvedere is nice.

Anti-Clockwise

- Beware a little bit of polling near the start of the route below the Piz Sella - at least it is through a beautfiul landscape!
- Just after this polling there are a few parallel blue runs, so you may want ot play on them a bit.
- When you cross over Belvedere and start down towards Arabba, you may want to consider skiing the different routes down to the bottom of the chair back up.
- also consider taking the cair up to the left ( Saletei ) to set you up for a super long cruisy blue down to Arabba
- The best Pistes are the ones from Boe down to Corvarra and the one from Dante Cepies (spelling?) back down to Selva.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agavin

I did not do Laguzoi as part of the circuit. I set out from Canazei to do it in anticlockwise direction.

If I had not wasted time getting lost it would be easily achievable.

In fact bits of the skiing seemed to be a lot faster than relying on motorised transport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise and Latchigo

Thanks for the tips. They make our journey and skiing very special. I do intend to explore the area first before going round it, if possible in two directions on two separate days.

agavin

Thanks for the excellent update. Just the sort of thing I need to know and prepare for doing an ambitious (to us) day trip.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think agavin, has summed up the area extremely well - it's one of my favourites too. I would base myself in Arabba rather than the Val Gardena ( Selva ) as it is quieter and more Italian. If you have a car then a day trip over to Cortina is another alternative, I would also take in the small Cinque Torre ski area on the way, it has the most fabulous scenery - last time I was there access was by two single chairs, slow but what a view from the top.

CP
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did the Sella Ronda going clockwise, starting out from Selva first thing. Spent a fair amount of time at Arabba, which is the best on the circuit, and still had lots of time. The scenery is great!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy