Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski or board... which is better for a damaged knee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I snapped my PCL and have had 90% of my meniscus removed thus i wear a Donjoy knee brace to ski.

My knee is pretty stable but im not 100% trusting of it as i dont have a PCL.

I can ski but the brace annoys the hell out of me would boarding be any better on the knee ?

Leigh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leeboy, Not sure that it would, couple of people I know have persistent knee problems one finds skiing slightly painful but boarding impossible, the other swears using a board is so much easier, I suspect the only way to know for certain is to try boarding and hope
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leeboy, You'll have to try though I think whatever you do it's going to be uncomfortable. If you have full range of movement and the knee is now stable after the repair? then you may be ok. But if you have any lateral or twist instability you're going to be stressing the meniscus in new and interesting ways. Presumably you've done a lot of muscle work to help support the joint and can you touch your toes without pain or over extending the joint?

The one thing I would recommend if you go the boarding route is to NOT teach yourself nor join a group class. You need to learn with an instructor who understands you have a weak knee and will take you through the learning progression with the least amount of "follow me and do what I do" instruction so it's going to be one-on-one till you get up controlled linked turns.

Good luck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could always go retro and ski a mono-ski Cool
http://www.monogenesis.com/monoskiing.html
Quote:
I first started monoskiing 1980 after 3 knee surgeries and was hooked on the first day. I have not skied conventional alpine skis since.. ... The side-by-side stance...is very supportive of the knees and reduces lateral forces to the knees
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers, Dear GOD MAN Shocked next you'll be telling him to wear a Nevica one-piece . . . Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This is my first post, so go easy!

leeboy, I snapped both my PCL and MCL in St Anton a few years ago, and while the MCL has healed reasonably well, I still have no PCL. Luckily there was no meniscus damage, so my experience may differ from yours.

The lack of a PCL shouldn't, on its own, cause you any real issues either skiing or boarding (i've done both). I toyed with a brace for a while, but was told by my consultant that even the best braces are more about reassurance than physical support.

Once my knee had healed, I was advised simply to build up the muscles then try to get back to doing what I did before as soon as possible.

So, unless you have been specifically told to wear a brace, my advice would be to ditch it and get back on whatever horse you rode before (either ski or board). Take it easy for the first couple of days and it will soon become apparent whether you're going to have problems or not.

I've certainly had no problems skiing (even bumps/off piste). Just keep the knee warm with a cheap neoprene support, otherwise it will ache!

As for Nevica one-pieces, I believe they're making a bit of a come back. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy