Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmorel in Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

It seems we cannot make our minds up here and now we are close to booking Valmorel in February 2013 (La Chalet Valmorel)

Neither me or the wifey have ever ski'd there are there any opinions on that please?

Also we have a 4 year old boy who will be going into ski school, he liked ESF ski school last year are they based here too ?

Thank you

Leigh.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied there but friends have....sounds an ideal place for families. Have a look at www.valmorel.com wink yes, ESF are there.

Anywhere in France mid Feb to mid March is going to be somewhat busier than usual.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have skied Valmorel. Good for intermediates. Excellent for beginners. Had a fenced off area when we were there. Also a very slow Pima for beginners to get used to. Very child friendly. Liked it for families. Decided that it was somewhere I will go back to with Grandchildren.
If I remember right there is a nice cafe at the top of the Col de la Madeleine
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Valmorel a couple of years ago and we really liked it. I went with my husband and 2 children (9&11). we didnt do ski school. As already said, this is excellent for beginners. we were second week skiers and we covered the whole areas. what i do remember was how expensive it was, so if you are going self catering, my advice would be to stock up on any food in the valley before you ascend up to valmorel. even the supermarkets in the village were extortionate! I wrote a detailed review on Valmorel but have no clue how to access any of the posts I did previously. I will try to find it coz i put it on j2ski too. I would definitely go back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
after a bit of digging, here is my report on another site of valmorel. LOL, reading it back I had totally forgotton about the nightmare I had with Crystal. http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/8244.page
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Polo that's a great review sounds like you had a similar problem with crystal that we had a few years ago going to tignes, no rep and driver had no idea where to go.

I think we'll be booking it today, we have already booked our "main" holiday to tignes over Christmas next year so this is more of a cheapy and crystal have a good sale on right now.

When your 4 year olds first words on Christmas Day are "where's the snow" what kind of parents would we be not to drag him skiing again.... Wink

Thanks

Leigh snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I have stayed in Valmorel regularly and yes there is an ESF school, I had a one-to-one with an ESF instructor when I was there. Valmorel has a really nice atmosphere and the precinct style village centre is pretty child friendly. There are some good mountain restaurants and it is generally cheaper than the 3-V's which are next up the valley (you can off piste into St Martin). The resort is good for beginners and early intermediates, but more experienced skiers might want to use Valmorel as a base to travel 40 or so minutes into the 3-V's after four or so days in the resort (which is what we do). Club Med have recently arrived in town, which has resulted in some new investment in lifts and the piste back into town, however the main limitation of Valmorel are the slow chairs and abundance of drag lifts, though this would appeal to my wife who does not like heights.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks David,

Like many parents do we ski in the morning with the little man in ski school then take him on some nursery slopes in the afternoon ourselves

Leigh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
leeboy,

I Ski and teach here every year. Its a fantastic resort.

Yes its very good for beginners as it has alot of confidence building pistes but It also has alot to offer the advanced skiers.

Col De Mottett
Col De Gollett
Luaziere

All offer Black runs un pisted and an abundance of Off Piste is available around all the area.

For beginners early intermediates there are loads of blues and greens ( some upto 8/9 kilometres long ) enabling you to get lots of milage under your feet before venturing onto the more difficult reds.

It is typically a quieter resort ( Long may that continue ) but very popular with the French so obviously Febuary is going to be lot busier.

Alot of the British stay away from this little Gem and travel past it for the 3 valley resorts ( Again long may that continue )

Virtually all accomodation is slope side and has easy access to the lifts. Last year saw a new gondola and a Club Med open. Another large property is planned at the bottom of the Lanchette and although this is currently served by an oldish chair lift I would assume this will be upgraded upon completion of the property.

2 years ago prices were expensive but last year they were more reasonable. 3.5 euros for a beer. The supermarkets are more reasonable as well and the current exchange rate is better.

Dont be put off by any negative comments this resort is great and im sure you will enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed the ESF ski school its not to everyones taste but thats becuase we as brits tend to learn differently to the French in the way of lesson structure and the meeting point for the ESF ski school is either at the Club Med or infront of their office at the top of the pedestrian telebourg.

If you need any advise just PM me or post a question here.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
leeboy,

Normally ESF lessons in the morning are in French and the afternoon lessons are in English.

You can ski with him down some easy blues above the Telebourg in the morning. If he's not yet linking turns there is a small area in the Crève-Coeur area which also has a travelator where he will be able to practice.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
leeboy,

you could also take him from the top of the telebourg down to Doucy-Combelouvière.

Starts as an easy blue then onto a green run ( approx 5 kilometres ) so make sure you have lots of stops for him inc a drink in Doucy-Combelouvière. Then Chairs and drags back inc greens back to the telebourg lift.

beware of your timmings though so that you get back for your lessons.

Also remember hes only 4 so watch his energy levels.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy