Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech Austria - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi hoping for some advice - looking to book for 2014 (we're early bookers) and looking to try somewhere other than France / Les Arcs - we have heard some wonderful things about Lech and the hotel Arlberg in particular - has anyone any experience of Lech and /or Arlberg in particular - is it worth the money or does it offer nothing special vs other resorts? Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
migletski, Lech is fabulous. Beautiful ski area with Zurs up the road and St Anton further on. Pretty in the village with a river through the middle. Good lift system. Pistes kept in very good conditions. Good mountain restaurants. Not cheap. But I love it there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
migletski, Lech is a wonderful place which oozes quality without being pretentious. Maybe suits the more mature and wealthy clientele. You would be hard pushed to find a bad hotel. They are very skilled at serving their guests. I have not stayed at the Arlberg as it costs from about £2000 pp for a week. I am sure it will be a wonderful experience if you feel like pushing the boat out. You will find it very different to Les Arcs. You can also ski the St Anton etc. if you need more mileage. Just do it you won’t regret it but you may fall in love with the place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
migletski, Best in class IMO, love the place to ski in and out of for 1/2 a day but would never choose to stay there due to the price, and the chic Bogner types that frequent Lech, it's like Claridges on snow. Only place I've ever been for a WC stop where there's a revolving seat on the toilet which cleans before you sit down......makes me laugh, same trip we'd been to Val as a 2 centre, hardly could believe it, was used to paying 2€ for the privilege!

Great skiing and links to Zurs brilliant, also Arlberg......quality, go for it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29, lots of toilets in Austria have those revolving self-cleaning seats. Very nice they are too Toofy Grin

We've stayed in Lech, in a Ski total chalet hotel. The hotel was fine and quite a reasonable price - a good way to ski Lech without spending too much! Liked the skiing round there & Zurs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
great - thanks fo the advice will definitely add it to the list (OH is not too keen on Austria after bad experience in Zell, he favours returning to Crans) as said we have done last few years in Les Arcs but fancy a change and Lech was recommended, was aware of the price and it did worry me that there might be a lot of look down the nose types but we fancy trying somewhere a bit special- cant afford to fall in love with the place pretty sure it would be a one off ..Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take twice the clothes and twice the money. As a resort it lacks very challenging, but you can get a pair of Strolz boots made to measure that will last a life time as a souvenir. Lech has class and is above English snobbery a place to go and experience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going back to lech for second time on honeymoon in two weeks time. Cheap excellent hotels can be found. The place is nowhere near as expensive as its made out to be. What ski holiday is cheap anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

for second time on honeymoon in two weeks time

Does the wife know about this?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haha. Second trip to lech. First marriage.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
migletski, comparing Lech to Zell-an-Zee is like comparing Samantha Cameron to Justine Thornton.

The only real issue with Lech is that it's above the tree line so it's not much fun in a whiteout (unlike Sam Cam) but as the hotels all seem to have wonderful spas and gyms it's a good excuse to check them out.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
migletski, I've skied Lech half a dozen times and like the understated pleasantness of the Arlberg. If you're a V-d'I fan it's nothing like France. The sking in and around Lech/Zurs has some excellent Piste/OP, well manicured pistes, not too pricey bars and restaurants.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhhh! Heated seats on some of the chairlifts

Bridget Jones ski scenes were filmed there.

More fur coats than you can count.

Charming and Sophisticated but not full of Russians (I hope they stay away).

Horse drawn sleighs.

The ice bar (champagne anyone?).

Very friendly efficient service.

Princess Di used to go there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We came back form Lech a week ago, having never skied in Austria before.

Like cathy we stayed in a Ski Total chalet hotel, the Sonneck, which was great value for money and vg food. We found slopeside restaurants no more pricey than the more expensive French resorts. The heated seats on some chairlifts are great , the lifties, waiters , in fact everyone we came across were really helpful. Downside was getting buses as at times they were very crowded. Only possible advantage of the French mega resorts is continuous motorway pistes if you like that sort of skiing.

Food was great and immaculate piste prep when the constantly dumping snow allowed. Picturesque . Also the " Winterwanderweg " ( I guess a literal translation is winter walking path ) were great - pisted little paths, signposted , across meadows and through forests - great for a change when poor vis put us off skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And some advice as OP asked for ; if you are on a budget the Spar supermarket in teh centre of Lech does excellent sandwiches at low prices . Also there is an Italian restaurant near the Post Office ( Enzo or something like that ) which is cheap and great food.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy