Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski school vs Private Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am heading to Les Gets in a couple of weeks. I am an intermediate skier and have lost a bit of confidence on the slopes, quite happy on blues and reds, but when it gets steeper my technique fails me. Question is should I head for adult group lessons or individual privates lessons. I could do 5 x 2.5hrs in a group or was thinking of 2 x 2 hrs private lessons one at the beginning of the week and another 3/4 days in.

What would people advise?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5 lessons with BASS Les Gets
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Private lessons are the way to go - you could try Les Gets Ski School - http://www.skischool.co.uk/ - Tim Scott - brilliant.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We used BASS there for our family. Couldn't afford private lessons every day. We had a day to find our feet then a morning 2 hour lesson followed by a day to ourselves then another morning 2 hour lesson. Then repeat until end of holiday. We felt it worked very well indeed. We had time to practice what we had been taught. The instructors suggested areas we could ski comfortably and practice.
I would definitely recommend BASS
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
5 lessons with BASS Les Gets
+1 Way to go.

Book morning sessions for sure, nothing apart from the backside of Mt Chery is particularly steep in Les Gets anyway, so you'll have no nasty surprises to deal with. Tell the instructor what your fears are and he can work with it. The group situation will help build confidence and remove some of the pressure that a one to one can create.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Go private....more expensive but you'll learn so much more.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it's a particular thing like confidence on steeper sections you might find that a ski school runs group lessons targetted at this particular skill. They sometimes get called clinics or skill sessions and so on. This would make it cheaper than private lessons, but still likely to be working on the thing you want to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've had a 2hr private lesson on day 2 the last few years. I've got far more out of it than ski school as it's been targeted at my weaknesses. Day 2 is good as you've had a day to get your ski legs back.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm doing exactly as sugarmoma666, this year. I learnt to ski a loooong time ago, but haven't had lessons for a while, so wanted a tune-up in the areas I am weakest (I don't like steeps or icy conditions). The benefit of a private lesson or two is that the instructor can concentrate on what is needed, and on you, rather than a bigger class of differing standards. I'm looking forward to it, but am also pretty nervous....... Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go/went to a private school have private lessons-Avoid the riff raff
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found I need at least 1:3 ratio of lesson vs practice time. So this business of all morning lesson is a bit of a waste on me since I don't get enough practice in between. I would only do that if I have an instructor I can't have elsewhere, and I'm doing another week (or 2) that I'm not planning to take any more lessons.

Whether that lesson is group or private depends on how effective the group lessons are. Most people I know tend to start out with group lessons. And for as long as they feel they continue to progress, most tend to continue to do that. At some point, group lessons became less effective, that's when people either stop taking lesson altogether (they're ok with the level they are), or go to privates (wish to progress to more advance level).

Lessons are only as good as the instructor. Even more so for private since the outlay is bigger per unit of time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
big groups can be fun, but can also be a frustrating waste of time. The BASS lessons I suggested are small groups (maximum 6 - when I had BASS lessons in Les Gets there were 4 of us).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have booked 2 x 2hr of private lessons with ecole de ski 360. Hopefully they can fix me!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cool - Have fun Laura... and then come with me next year!! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good choice I think, just had some private lessons with BASS in VDI, I had lost my bottle a bit and the one-to-one attention was just what I needed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy