Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new jacket and pants advice.

Poster: A snowHead
My old coat is shredded and planning on doing more skiing this year. I used to ski in jeans, but I think I will shell out for some proper pants.

I am dumbfounded at the cost of coats. you can pay 25 -600 for this item, and I don't really understand why. I am prioritizing breathability over waterproofing as a sweat a lot, but I don't know if that is right. I assume so; it is unlikely to rain mid feb where I am going (chamonix) I would think.

Any, even big brands seem cheap. lots of sub 100 or near.

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=578&category_id=235
http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=6871&category_id=235
http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=574&category_id=235

all north face. last one claims to be breathable and waterproof. I assume there is a trade off?

If you go to trespass website you will find a huge selection of sub 100 jackets. I believe trespass is good, no?

as for pants, I think I want waterproof as I might sit in a puddle. It looks like the outdoorkit website has a bunch for around 50 quid.

anyway, I was a bit surprised because I thought I would have to shell out a good 300 quid for pants and coat. Are the above just crap?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They look OK, or take yourself off to the nearest TK Maxx, if you don't mind last years kit you will, with a bit of luck, find some real bargains in top end kit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But some are so last year
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

you can pay 25 -600 for this item, and I don't really understand why

In large part because it says North Face (or Arc'Teryx or Norrona) on it. Have a look at Dare2Be or Trespass if you don't want to fork out a fortune- you will remain warm and dry in either.

If you're used to skiing in jeans, pretty much any ski trousers out there will be an improvement, even if you only spend tuppence on the local market. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a Trespass jacket, full price was £150 but I got it a bit cheaper, was a proper girl and bought it because I liked the pattern & colour, but honestly did look at waterproofing, etc as well. Can honestly say it is one of the better jackets I've had. Fits well, does exactly what it says on the tin..

Husband loves his Burton, think his jacket was along the £170 line - so I wouldn't say that was too expensive, especially when the S&R catalogue has some jackets upwards of £900!! I'm with you on "why that expensive" question!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you live anywhere near the North-west of England the North Face outlet in Cheshire Oaks has some great deals. You should be able to kit yourself out with ski specific gear for well under £300.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can't go far wrong with M&S pants - they do a waterproof range I think, designed for the older market
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, Evil or Very Mad Boots carries a 'discrete' range of requisites for the . . . elder gentleman . . . alowing him to purchase whatever ski clothing he wishes.

Though I do find that so called 'boarding' trews do have a more generous rise in the 'nethers' . . . more comfy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, that's sort of true there is definitely a price point on the 'better' brands which is partly built on reputation. But you are getting better quality for example Norrona make most of their stuff by hand in Norway which has to be amongst the most expensive labour markets on the planet. Also the materials used are often 'better' and more expensive. Then you're also paying for the good functional and aesthetic design choices.

Almost everything works but there is a difference in how well. You can ski in cheap waterproof over trousers and jogging bottoms with very similar performance for most people. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ohhhh Shocked we're looking at waterproofing from the OUTSIDE . . . pardon me Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now to answer question seriously.

I bought my no-name salopettes from Amazon for all of £8. They are warm, waterproof and comfortable and have now lasted me 7 years without so much as a thread coming loose. Big names aren't everything, and you can get lucky sometimes.

I spent a bit more on my Marmot jacket as I use it for hiking as well as skiing, but prior to that I had an OK Brugi ski jacket from TK Maxx for about £50. Got very warm inside though.

Would recommend going and seeing what is about. I was in TK Maxx yesterday and there was some decent looking snowsports stuff, not a lot of it though compared to previous years. Trespass is perfectly fine. Not trendy and low on bells and whistles but does the job.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
amps, don't ever be surprised if it rains in the mountains, even in Chamonix wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marmotte16 wrote:
amps, don't ever be surprised if it rains in the mountains, even in Chamonix wink

The remote possibility of rain does not require you be head to toe in waterproofs all the time, just in case. A cheapy waterproof jacket and a pair of full-length side-zip waterproof trousers don't cost the earth and pack away small and can be chucked on in short order if the weather catches you out. Oh, and keep an eye on the forecast wink
snow report
Scomber wrote:
Now to answer question seriously.

I bought my no-name salopettes from Amazon for all of £8. They are warm, waterproof and comfortable and have now lasted me 7 years without so much as a thread coming loose.

7 weeks or 7 years? Durability costs.
ski holidays
Quote:

The remote possibility of rain does not require you be head to toe in waterproofs all the time, just in case.

Unless it's Whistler
latest report
I had to put a patch over the bumhole of my snowboard pants this morning where they'd worn thin. I butchered a bit of fabric from the flap that goes over the pocket, and glued it on with super glue. My gloves (top end Level with wrist guards) are also glued back together where the edges of my skis/board have knackered the fingertips and crook of the thumb. Also my jacket (RRP 500 quid plus, actual price 70 quid from TK M) is covered with oil and grime from doing car maintenance whilst wearing it.

Maybe I should stop being so 'make do and mend' and actually buy some new gear myself.
snow report
Mr Piehole, no way fella. That gear sounds "core"!! wink
latest report
clarky999, probably 7 weeks, true enough if I was doing seasons (I wish) they would've fallen to bits. Still at a little over a quid a week if you look at it that way I'm pleased with em Smile
snow report
Scomber, haha, can imagine!
snow conditions
Serriadh wrote:
marmotte16 wrote:

The remote possibility of rain does not require you be head to toe in waterproofs all the time, just in case. A cheapy waterproof jacket and a pair of full-length side-zip waterproof trousers don't cost the earth and pack away small and can be chucked on in short order if the weather catches you out. Oh, and keep an eye on the forecast wink

this might be the best option. I don't think I have will have any tolerance for rain, so I might just put a cheap thin waterproof thing in my backpack just in case just to get me indoors while I wait the rain to go away.

Unless technology is much improved, I imagine that there is a trade off; either you are at risk of getting wet from the inside out or at risk of getting wet from the outside in. I KNOW I sweat quite a bit, so the former is more of a problem.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

you can pay 25 -600 for this item, and I don't really understand why

In large part because it says North Face (or Arc'Teryx or Norrona) on it. Have a look at Dare2Be or Trespass if you don't want to fork out a fortune- you will remain warm and dry in either.

If you're used to skiing in jeans, pretty much any ski trousers out there will be an improvement, even if you only spend tuppence on the local market. Laughing

but the coats I posted were North face. from about 100-150 in price.
snow report
amps wrote:
I don't think I have will have any tolerance for rain, so I might just put a cheap thin waterproof thing in my backpack just in case just to get me indoors while I wait the rain to go away.

If you're going to Chamonix and expect to be able to duck indoors if the weather gets a bit iffy, you're probably going to the wrong bits wink
ski holidays
amps, some good deals on Dare2B stuff on www.sportpursuit.com today if you want to give that a try
latest report
Serriadh wrote:
amps wrote:
I don't think I have will have any tolerance for rain, so I might just put a cheap thin waterproof thing in my backpack just in case just to get me indoors while I wait the rain to go away.

If you're going to Chamonix and expect to be able to duck indoors if the weather gets a bit iffy, you're probably going to the wrong bits wink

Does that mean it rains quite a bit a chamonix? I have never skied in Europe, only canada, and recently only in the cold parts (i.e. not vancouver). I have skied in all kinds of weather (snow, heavy snow, sunshine, fog so thick you can't see the ends of your poles), but never rain.
snow conditions
The valley floor is at about 1000-1200m or so, which to my mind is quite low for France, obviously all of the skiing is above this level and some is up around the 3000m mark. The forecast freezing level for the next few days runs from 1500m, tomorrow down to 900m Weds for midday values. What falls tomorrow midday will be rain at resort level, but snow higher. Keep dry when you're heading for the lift, and stay high is what I'd do.
snow conditions
amps wrote:
Does that mean it rains quite a bit a chamonix? I have never skied in Europe, only canada, and recently only in the cold parts (i.e. not vancouver). I have skied in all kinds of weather (snow, heavy snow, sunshine, fog so thick you can't see the ends of your poles), but never rain.

No, I was thinking more of the fact that I associate Chamonix with a big area for off-piste and a huge area for touring, most of which will be spent a fair distance away from shelter. If you're just going for the pistey bits, the area will be substantially less interesting! Take a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95358 for a little example.

As regards rain... that's a tricky question. There's an awful lot of vertical in Chamonix (2500m drop between Midi lift and the town? may be more!) and that means a big temperature difference; there won't be a whole lot of rain up top at any time of year! It is unlikely to be warm and wet in febuary, so emergency waterproofs are likely to be fine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am a rusty intermediate skier. I have only 3 days of skiing, so I assumed chamonix would have plenty of on piste skiing for me. Am I wrong?
latest report
amps, there will be plenty to keep you busy
ski holidays
I've just got back from Switzerland and I'm really glad that I've finally shelled out on a Gore-Tex jacket that is properly waterproof. Junior got soaked a couple of days, once so badly that he had to come out of ski school early. I was absolutely fine (I must have spent more time in the bar than he did wink ).

I got a Adidas jacket cheap as it was last years model - just under £100 delivered. I spotted a Haglof jacket in the same green outside a shop in the resort. The only obvious difference (apart from the price) was a couple of mesh pockets inside the jacket. They also had this years Adidias jacket at just under 500CHF.

I'm now looking for some bargain Gore-Tex pants to go with it.
snow report
been to Chamonix twice, a 3 and a 4 day trip.
plenty of on piste skiing and we did a different area each day to keep it varied
snow conditions
I think I am starting to understand this a bit more. I read on an earlier snowheads post that waterproof vs non waterproof are like two opposing religions, but I think I have some understanding now.

Back home years ago, I never got caught in the rain. Rain sucks, so why would you ski in it? Was I lucky? Am I awesome? No. I cancelled trips if the forecast was for rain, and this was feasible because I lived driving distance to the ski area. As with many others on this forum, I now live in Britain and I have to fly/take train/travel huge distances to get to the mountains, and I must also plan my trips in advance. Hence, one may get caught in rain, and cancelling last minute is not an option. I certainly don't want to spend my whole or most of my trip indoors. Couple that with the temptation to have a multi-purpose walking jacket (it rains in England, in case you haven't heard), I can see now why people go for waterproof/breathable instead of full breathable.
ski holidays
Waterproof and Brathabble is correct.
ski holidays
amps, waterproof and breathable is deffo the way to go. i had a very memorable day at Serre Chevaliler when it was raining at the bottom (1300m) and dumping at the top (2600m). I was repetitively soaked then frozen for the day. I was wearing something with the waterproofing and bearing in mind it was the early 90's fashion qualities of a Quality street wrapper. It was a great day only marred by the quality of kit i had on combined with conditions.
latest report
back to the jackets, can this be legit?

http://www.northfaceoutlet2012.co.uk/mens-gore-tex-pro-jackets-c-32.html

north face gore tex jackets for 80 quid. How is it so cheap? I emailed them asking what year the jackets were and I got a one word reply of "2013".
snow report
Avast doesn't even like that URL which is far from a good sign.
snow conditions
registered to fang xiaolong, what do you think?
latest report
Quote:

registered to fang xiaolong, what do you think?

fangs for that, v helpful.
ski holidays
What does that mean?

However, doing some digging and the email sent to me was from Beijing. Hmmmm. For a UK outlet store?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy